I guess a lot has changed since I last looked at selling on eBay ie hostile to occasional sellers

I stopped selling my occasional items when eBay demanded direct debit access to my account. But Gumtree is so full of scammers and time wasters I was frustrated enough to look at eBay again. So I got a new bank account specifically for this so eBay cannot access my only other account,  which is a mortgage offset account. I tried to add that in and verify, but it failed because it's not a transaction account?  Now it looks like I would have to get yet another account that is a fee-costing transaction account. Plus it looks like now I need to register as a new seller to sell on eBay, even though I had been selling and buying on eBay for more than a decade. Looking at the list of IDs they want, I am not at all comfortable supplying passports and other secure information. Not to mention how long and tedious that list looks. On top of that eBay allowed me to list an item, now for sale, that should someone buy this I would have no way of getting payment unless solving the above. But they are happy to allow me to create the situation where this would occur. Why am I allowed to list something before completing all the new registration and linked bank account. What a hostile platform this has become. I best delete my listing quickly. 

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

I guess a lot has changed since I last looked at selling on eBay ie hostile to occasional sellers

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Your ebay account and your bank account must match exactly.

Verifying your banking details

To receive payouts, you'll need to link your bank account to your eBay account. It's important to make sure that the names on both accounts match.

• For a personal account, your first name and last name should be the same on your bank account and your eBay account

Registering as a seller | eBay

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

Welcome to the 'new look eBay'....as stawka has said, unless you sign up, they will hold your payments forever...

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

Re bank accounts attracting fees, may be a good idea to research other banks, eg Great Southern Bank.

https://www.greatsouthernbank.com.au/tools-and-services/managing-your-accounts/fees

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

I am guessing you were one of the many, that went with all the doom and gloom sayers, when managed payments was introduced, and failed refused to register.

Ebay is still going strong and is now a much safer platform for sellers and buyers alike.

As for the safety of ebay data, there are estimates that it could take up to 2 centuries to crack the ebay  security algorithm, a bit less if the hackers have access to a quantum computor.

But yes a separate bank account is best for all online use

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

I use ING. No fees and my money is in my account every Tuesday morning.

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

Real estate forced direct debit on me years ago and "accidentally" deducted 2 months rent in a week, which took me three weeks to get back and left me unable to pay other bills. Vodafone started billing me for an extra phone I never ordered and it took me 9 months and 20 odd calls to get it removed. So, as I said at the time when the eBay policy was introduced, I have experienced direct debit going wrong. I cannot possibly be the only one.  You can call me a doom-sayer, but it makes you sound unwilling to acknowledge the possibility of a negative experience. I already created a separate bank account as noted above, but it seems not to accept it. I saw another post that says I would need to register as a seller again even though I have been using eBay for 20 years. I have looked in every panel and cannot see where or even if I actually need to do an additional registration. That post may have been incorrect. I think my grumble that the whole setup is a bit hostile to the occasional seller is pretty legitimate. 

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

Also I should not have been able to create a listing without completing the bank account link. Maybe I was stupid to do that first, but I did not forsee an issue with linking it. 

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

I have an ING account already but that is my home loan account. I opened one with Me bank for eBay but it will not verify. It says I need a transaction account, but it is a transition account. 

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

Your money will not be held by ebay for ever, unclaimed monies eventually go to ASIC, and you can try to claim them from there.

You do not have to register a new ebay account, but you do have to sign on to managed payments.  I presume you can still use your ebay account to purchase.

Even after signing on to managed payments, once the initial holding period for  new sellers has passed, unless you are continually selling, then the holding period can recommence, there are also other reasons that any funds can be placed on hold at anytime.  So best to check it all out first.

If you can not get passed your security concerns, then ebay is not for you

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply