Ebay Advert in Google takes you to a prize page??

I just googled Ebay as I did not have the URL bookmarked - clicked on the first link (which was an Ebay.com.au - Ebay Advert)

and landed on some spinning wheel thing to win an apple iphone. You get three spins and yes I did win - you click continue and answer some easy questions, then your go to an site that looks like an Apple site .

Select your iphone and then of course they start to ask details - I have a link to it but not sure If it is allowed.

Very clever scam indeed - How do I let Ebay know that they have an Google advert for their site that leads their customers to another page.

Also the reason you land on the first page is explained that this comp is for Ebay celebrating 25 Years???

Hope nobody gets caught out on it.

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

I saw it too. Everyone would "win"...

there are a few Google links that are promoted ones for (supposedly) eBay that are "ads" when you look closely at the Google results page.

As I doubt any are real, eBay needs to get Google to stop running them.

All I can suggest is inform them through Help & Contact above, making the point that eBay's going to get the blame for these "ads" if they are not stopped. Should be easy enough for eBay to pass it on to Google as not legitimate eBay promotions.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

It seems they have managed to remove it. I reported it to the Ebay Facebook page. Sneaky scammers though.
Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

This happens to me on facebook too,  some sponsored links don't lead to anything like the advert, they go to a "you've been especially selected to receive a free iphone if you answer these 3 quesdtions etc etc"

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

This is still happening on my phone.  First result says Ad ebay.com.au - eBay with www.ebay.com.au/ as the address underneath and when I click on it it goes to ebay-prizes.com then you have the old "Are you sure you want to leave" messages when you click back.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

and then

power to the people...NOT...

just another one thank you ebay for it is xmas in may ...  just what i dont need another phone..

i am sure all our potential customers in my area wanted to see i-phone advert ,
then if they won -which i am sure most did..
got spooked into details,opted out and then within minisecond,

eligible now for chance to win 1000 woolworths voucher ,

then after that  finally saw ebay main page

i am sure that is just the retail experience you need when searching for that special

vintage treasure- they want another round of hit me in face with new china  retail giant junk

hey ebay why not you give away vouchers for $1000 to be spent only on small business promote your own site ..
or give away some of the big reatilers stock, some of the masses of tvs computers and consumables 

why not a couch from a Harvey or a computer form Domayne..every week not monthly

wait no they couldnt afford that ..lol cut into their profit margins,or wait we do that with our gift vouchers

..forgot we had to loose our margins ...

here is a thought how about a pye chart show all ebayers which business make most

big business 85 percent plus im sure ...

and how about a chart to see traffic flow interent speed ,on our sites compared to bigger business

thankyou ebay, furthermore:

do not you realize, as a legitimate business ,  that people are not all that happy with constant change that it actually scare away some of the not so sure

in particular the vulnrable not so smart anymore, older crowd,, ones like my mum who noticed this first

-- amongst us ,and then low and behold signs up,i  see now first hand for real the effects..

do you know it fills, literally fills her mailbox with 40-50 mail a day just what elderly lady needs to deal with,
if she ws a client or potential customer do you think they woud risk visiting ebay again?
I have task now of turning off all those alerts if it is possible..way to waste my time now..thank you  again eBay
so the kids of these elderly beautiful,people  will spend time fixing this do you think they will be impressed ??

maybe think of some of repurcusions of these big business decisions ..on people not profits..
I wonder does windows 10 and eBay have same research and development team ??
rather should say did ebay hire someone new to team??

eBay is going way of windows-  it seems we forced into it ...if we want to continue selling that is

can we have ebay of old back please....

is eBay trying to fondle up to Google to rescue some rankings back??

what would the general consensus be?

yes or no to eBay and these adverts for big business?

my personal opinion,
I think you should have right to choose what you want to see in eBay

the more complex with the preamble,(like now it is a jumble mess)

the less likely our customers will stay

as ecommerce site builders will tell anyone with a page similar could you possibly fill anymore white space??

HERE IS A PROVEN STUDIED FACT

-research it im happy you do ,very interesting studies done..

In any business transaction situation,the first impression counts,

general attention span is only 6-7 seconds to make that first impression,

so ask your self this -where did your potential  customers attention span go??

.. thats it never made it

side tracked looking elsewhere then the money had for you went there.. oh well

and it was spent on big w ,apple , and the rest - not you and me..

YOUR POTENTIAL NEW CUSTOMERS LOST INTEREST before they even saw your page..

ebay business team would have learnt this ,or known this and sold prime positioning to someone else for big money likes small guy never compete -

that is the difference old ebayers-- you see it too don't you...

also add throttling

throttling is not a myth it exists, isps'  do it, e-commerce sites do it, ebay have to as its servers now filled with big boys toys,,big business inventory,that speed that content that big money  far more important they don't need likes of little man anymore..

that is the thought in it ...it is obvious to all even my blind dog fred saw it ..

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Would you be prepared to do a repost AFTER your system is clear of whatever it had when you posted this?

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Unfortunately I got caught with this. This scam is to get contact details for a survey company in Sydney - they say that they are called Brands of Choice but their web presence is - www.cohortglobal.com - once they have your details you get tons of spam emails and calls everyday from their survey unit situated at Suite 15.04 Erst & Young Centre, 680 George Street. You can call Natasha at 1300 257 528 and then the calls seem to stop. I am horrified at the sort of shameless phishing scams this crowd uses while posing as a legit company ......

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Unfortunately I got caught with this. This scam is to get contact details for a survey company in Sydney - they say that they are called Brands of Choice but their web presence is - www.cohortglobal.com - once they have your details you get tons of spam emails and calls everyday from their survey unit situated at Suite 15.04 Erst & Young Centre, 680 George Street. You can call Natasha at 1300 257 528 and then the calls seem to stop. I am horrified at the sort of shameless phishing scams this crowd uses while posing as a legit company ......
Message 9 of 9
Latest reply