Scam advice - I just received an automated call supposedly from Ebay saying an ITunes purches for $1

heldal528
Community Member

I just received an automated call supposedly from Ebay saying an ITunes purches for $199 and if i didnt authorise it to phone a no.  I contacted my bank who advised it is a scam and definitely dont ring the no.

cheers

Helen

Message 1 of 60
Latest reply
59 REPLIES 59

Re: Scam advice - I just received an automated call supposedly from Ebay saying an ITunes purches fo

I just got a voicemail as I missed the call saying $249.99 would be taken from my eBay account rang the number back and got some peice of **bleep** that could not speak English and he hung up on me bloody scammers and the call came from Adelaide.
Message 11 of 60
Latest reply

Re: Scam advice - I just received an automated call supposedly from Ebay saying an ITunes purches fo

That was brilliant....you have confirmed to the scammers that they have an active phone number which they can onsell to other scammers.

Have you never heard of internet/phone security.....first rule is never to click on anything in an email and never to ring back to a number from an unknown source.

Message 12 of 60
Latest reply

I just had a call from "ebay" saying that there has been an unauthorised payment of $249.99 and to call back or press numers 1,2,3 for customer support.

Did not press numbers and hung up. call came from Adelaide as well.

Message 13 of 60
Latest reply

That phone number was (08) 7200 1045 which will be an overseas number being routed through an Adelaide number. I had this today and hung up as I don't have a selling account, so that confirms it's a scam.

Message 14 of 60
Latest reply

kwous58
Community Member
literally googled this same.thing to see ifanyone else had the same. 399 also thx it was helpful to know!
Message 15 of 60
Latest reply

Jan 2021, Yep just got a call from a private number, asking if I’d made a purchase of $299 if not press 1, etc. I hung up, checked my eBay account. No purchases.
It’s quite a compelling message. It spooks you, to press one. Also I have had 3 from private numbers call, with very thick Indian accents, saying they are from bank x and did I authorise a payment to mr so and so at National bank America. Damn it appears spammers have my phone number.
Message 16 of 60
Latest reply

They use computers to dial through thousands of numbers.

If you answer, you probably go on a live number list.

Voicemail is for private numbers. Or even unrecognised ones.

Message 17 of 60
Latest reply

the_charm_place
Community Member
Just got a phone call ebay customer service. Automated message saying, you have a just purchased a $200 ebay gift card and will be direct debited for this amount. If you did not make this transaction, please call.......... ( was an au area code of 02) but according to telstra it was likely international as they can use an Australian number. Just warning people as most just think dont click links.
I called the number I gad for ebay customer support ie 1800093577. They said any call from ebay will also be a record in your ebay email.
So be wary !!!! Its not just links. Should have called back to see the purpose but assuming they would want to confirm bank details lol. Like you would forget buying an ebay gift card. What's odd os how do they know the owner of the number has an ebay account? I gad called customer support a few times in the just fortnight? Wondering if they can be hacking into call history ?
Message 18 of 60
Latest reply

joz15au
Community Member
They call thousands of numbers, many of whom will have an eBay account. Like when I get an email saying someone has tried to log into my NAB account when I don't have one. They are sure to strike many who do.
Message 19 of 60
Latest reply

the_charm_place
Community Member
Lol.i had one showing as an au number yet the " business" called at 11.50 pm.lol
Message 20 of 60
Latest reply