Am I being scammed $2000 ?

le-jac1
Community Member

I bought a Macbook Pro last night around 11:30 pm. The seller told me he had sold it in the physical store 20 seconds after I paid for it. It was midnight. I asked him if he could get a picture before I paid, he said he would like to but it was already to late, that he would do it  the next morning. 

I called ebay, ebay says it's a paypal problem; I called paypal, paypal says it's a ebay problem.

Here is what happened:

Your previous message
Hi mate, I'd like to buy your macbook. When do you think you can ship?

ji_jile_gklkiwy:

Hello, As soon as I have received the payment. Thanks

Your previous message

Thanks, mate. Do you mind sending me a picture of the back of the box with all the specs on it? I'll pay once I make sure it's the model I want.  Thanks a lot.

ji_jile_gklkiwy:

I don't mind but its already late here. I will once I open my shop early in the morning, if it will still be available for sale

Then I paid for the item.

The seller immediately marked the order as "shipped" but with no tracking information. 

ji_jile_gklkiwy:

Hey mate. Sorry to tell you that the item has already been bought in our physical store. Kindly dispute the transaction because I can't refund from my side. I am so sorry but we will be restocking in one weeks time. You can check back in a weeks time.Sorry

A dispute will ensure you get all your cash back in your paypal.Thanks

login to your paypal the the transaction you made to me click it you will see details .click it you will see dispute this transaction.

say item not received

To do so:

Log in to your PayPal account. Go to the Resolution Center.Select the dispute you want to escalate, then click Escalate.Follow the instructions.Click Escalate to a claim.

Your previous message

Then why did you just ship the item?

ji_jile_gklkiwy:

did I ship it?? Sorry

Your previous message

I know you can refund, just do it. I don't want any trouble.

ji_jile_gklkiwy:

which trouble now. Just say you din't receive the item...Paypal will just escalate the case and have your money back in full. It is held on my side .

Do you want me to mark the item as not shipped or what

Jist remarked it as not shipped.Ain't here to scam you or something just that the item has already been sold

The seller didn't mark the item as not shipped.

I went to bed.

I call ebay this morning, ebay says the seller is right, I should do what the seller told me to.

Then ebay gives me the number of paypal, tells me that paypal has a better solution.

I call paypal, paypal tells me my money is protected. That they can't do anything since they can't prove the seller is a scam. 

What's the seller up to?

Clearly there is no Macbook and no physical store. There is no shipment. The seller won't get the money.

Why the hell is he doing this?

Message 1 of 39
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The seller definitely sounds a bit dodgy or at the very least, lazy. He marked your item as shipped when it obviously was not.

You will be able to get your money back if you paid by paypal so don't panic.

You may not be able to get the refund immediately though. As in today.

What will happen is you will need to wait till the estimated shipping arrival date is overdue & then you can open a dispute about item not received.

Because there will be no proof of delivery, you will win your case and be refunded.

It is just that you may have to wait several days for it all to be resolved.

Don't get caught up in anything this seller might say-such as he is getting another one and will ship in a week or two or three.

Don't let him fob you off.

He could very well have cancelled this transaction easily & he knows it. If he won't do that, you just go ahead with your item not received claim as soon as you can.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 39
Latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

The seller definitely sounds a bit dodgy or at the very least, lazy. He marked your item as shipped when it obviously was not.

You will be able to get your money back if you paid by paypal so don't panic.

You may not be able to get the refund immediately though. As in today.

What will happen is you will need to wait till the estimated shipping arrival date is overdue & then you can open a dispute about item not received.

Because there will be no proof of delivery, you will win your case and be refunded.

Don't get caught up in anything this seller might say-such as he is getting another one and will ship in a week or two or three.

Don't let him fob you off.

He could very well have cancelled this transaction easily & he knows it. If he won't do that, you just go ahead with your item not received claim as soon as you can.

Message 2 of 39
Latest reply

Kindly dispute the transaction because I can't refund from my side.

Load of bologne.

He can just log into PayPal and hit the refund button next to the trans.

Post the item number here so we can see if it's possibly a hijacked account.

image host
Message 3 of 39
Latest reply

Thank you for the reply. I did pay by paypal. I'll wait and open a dispute.
Message 4 of 39
Latest reply

As a new seller his paypal funds are probably 'on hold' for 21 days...
so he may not be able to refund via Paypal.

Message 5 of 39
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

#  292093193268

Was it an auction with a BIN price?   Maybe he thought the BIN price was a reserve.

At any rate, I think he found out that these sell for anywhere between $2800-$3400

and he wants to re-list it at some stage.

Open the dispute and get your money back.

Message 6 of 39
Latest reply

@sacramentalstoles wrote:

As a new seller his paypal funds are probably 'on hold' for 21 days...
so he may not be able to refund via Paypal.

Well I thought about that and seem to remember that a refund has in the past been made rather than waiting the 21 days.

OP I would get on the phone to PayPal and explain, you may instantly get a refund once they see what has transpired.

image host
Message 7 of 39
Latest reply

Incorrect as a refund can be done instantly even when the funds are on hold 

Message 8 of 39
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

There is no need to wait till the item is overdue............you can open a paypal dispute within seconds of paying for your item.

The waiting period only applies to an ebay dispute.

Message 9 of 39
Latest reply

One red flag, I see waving is, if the guy is a scammer, he could send an old, non working, used item or an empty box or an old shoe with tracking. The tracking will show as the item delivered. The case will be closed in the sellers favour. Once you open a dispute for item not received I don't think you can open a second dispute for item not as described...................................  Let the games begin.   .... be very careful....... Smiley Sad

Message 10 of 39
Latest reply