Are most buyers by now aware that sellers have to pay ebay a final value fee on the postage ?

It's a hidden cost that is not seen up front so maybe not considered.

So a seller takes $10.60 from you for postage and loses 10-13%  to ebay.

This system is rightly in place to protect buyers from postage pirates.

( many of you may be too young to remember the items selling for $1.00

but having a postal charge of $100.00 ).

Message 1 of 49
Latest reply
48 REPLIES 48

Are most buyers by now aware that sellers have to pay ebay a final value fee on the postage ?

I doubt they would even consider it, I know about it but it really doesn't concern me as the seller should be building that into their item costs.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 49
Latest reply

I'm aware of it (not sure how it is hidden) and remember the obscene postage costs in the place to having that as an item cost as a way to 'avoid' high selling fees

I very much doubt buyers would care one jot

Especially considering how many buyers think 'free' postage really is free to the seller

And others who think eBay give sellers all the packaging materials etc etc

In other words, too many buyers 'think' the full postage cost is what the 'stamp' says and nothing else 

Message 3 of 49
Latest reply

Fair comment but the seller is still being penalised.

There seems to be a zero broadcast from ebay.

I am sure there are a few buyers out there who still think

Free Postage is free.

Message 4 of 49
Latest reply

From my previous post.

"( many of you may be too young to remember the items selling for $1.00

but having a postal charge of $100.00 )."

Message 5 of 49
Latest reply

Yes, I know, that's what I said , I remember it

Message 6 of 49
Latest reply

Given eBay have been charging fees on postage since 2014, it's hardly a new issue, nor is it something any realistic seller doesn't take into account.

Why the alert NINE years later?

Message 7 of 49
Latest reply

"nor is it something any realistic seller doesn't take into account."

I am enquiring as to whether most buyers are aware of the FVF.

It more than obvious that a seller is aware of this cost.

Message 8 of 49
Latest reply

Why would a buyer even care?

Message 9 of 49
Latest reply

I’m aware of it. I don’t think that most buyers consider it even if they know it. And in all honesty, I don’t think it would be helpful for sellers to try to spell it out. There just needs to be an up-front postage charge, non-negotiable. The buyer chooses to buy or doesn’t choose to buy. It’s up to the seller to distribute the costs involved so as to attract the buyer without losing money (to say the least; obviously sellers have to actually be making money!).

I agree that too many buyers really do think there is some magical sort of eBay postage fairy who makes the actual cost of delivery go away for those sellers offering “free postage”.

Message 10 of 49
Latest reply