Are most buyers by now aware that sellers have to pay ebay a final value fee on the postage ?

It's a hidden cost that is not seen up front so maybe not considered.

So a seller takes $10.60 from you for postage and loses 10-13%  to ebay.

This system is rightly in place to protect buyers from postage pirates.

( many of you may be too young to remember the items selling for $1.00

but having a postal charge of $100.00 ).

Message 1 of 49
Latest reply
48 REPLIES 48

Are most buyers by now aware that sellers have to pay ebay a final value fee on the postage ?

Are you saying that buyers don't know so don't care or they are fully aware and don't care.
I doubt I will get an answer here now that the regular ebay crew have landed on this post.
Have fun guys and gals.

Message 11 of 49
Latest reply

No, buyers don't care. All they care about is their ebay bargain they think they got. Because after all, ebay is the place of bargains, where you can get a $1,000 item for $20.

As you have never sold anything (on this account), I'm guessing you have no idea, and really wouldn't give a toss about what sellers have to pay.

Message 12 of 49
Latest reply

That's funny. We have always charged 50 cents over the actual postage cost and save on our postage costs ( at 2 bands under maximum ) but you have given me an idea. If I edit our postage business policies to make them all actual postage rates we will still save on most ( except those pesky rural postings ) and will score 5/5 instead of 4.9/5 for postage costs.
If we try to restrict our delivery areas to maximum discount areas then buyers will stop whinging ( in the stars ) and we will actually profit on postage. Not sure if sales destinations can be fine tuned like this but it's worth a shot. If it can be done I will kick

After 17 years selling on ebay I am still learning.

Thank you. 

ps Who in their right mind posts here using their selling ID.

Message 13 of 49
Latest reply

I had better leave this scene because I almost posted using my selling ID...lol

Message 14 of 49
Latest reply

It is more than obvious that buyers pay the sticker price. They don't and shouldn't care what fees a seller pays.

Advertising, methinks, or a complete disconnect with reality.

Message 15 of 49
Latest reply

Most buyers don't care about a seller's costs! Either online or off!

When you go to the supermarket, do you think about their rent, utilities, wages etc. 

It's really not something most people think about and most people buy something from somewhere!

I bet even the majority of sellers only think about it when they sell, but not so much when they buy from someone else .

Message 16 of 49
Latest reply

No need for buyers to know or care.  Many seem to think postage relates solely to the stamp fee.

Most sellers can access discounted postage rates, making standard stamp fees irrelevant.

Message 17 of 49
Latest reply

Why should a buyer care.

They just want to know what price they are paying for the item.

There are so many costs that go into the final price I charge a buyer, not just your so called hidden cost.   Besides your so called hidden cost just on postage alone there is packaging,  labels,  petrol to PO, etc, etc,  I could go on, but you seem to fail the basic grasp of business, in that there are most likely 30 plus costs that go into the final price we charge a customer.

The buyer doesnt care about our costs, just what they pay.

Message 18 of 49
Latest reply

"you seem to fail the basic grasp of business".

This is almost funny.

After 40 years in bricks and mortar I had more than a basic grasp of business principles.

I was, however,  abysmally dumb when I assumed that a jump to online trading would result in a less complicated and more leisurely life.

I can no longer turn the key and have a night off 😞

I got one thing right though in that I never incorporated BNPL in my web site business model.

Message 19 of 49
Latest reply

@fixnwear wrote:

"you seem to fail the basic grasp of business".

This is almost funny.

After 40 years in bricks and mortar I had more than a basic grasp of business principles.

I was, however,  abysmally dumb when I assumed that a jump to online trading would result in a less complicated and more leisurely life.

I can no longer turn the key and have a night off 😞

I got one thing right though in that I never incorporated BNPL in my web site business model.

40 years of business and you still think the customer should know every component of what makes up the price of an item.  I sure hope you advised every customer at your bricks and mortar how you calculated your final retail price.

Wow,  you cant turn the key off,  again a failure in business practices, yes you can, why cant you?   Maybe you need some advise and guidance on how to run a business.

Message 20 of 49
Latest reply