Bank Chargeback

Hello, I used paypal to purchase. I need to lodge a charge back with my bank. Who is the "merchant" PayPal or the Seller? Thanks in advance
Message 1 of 38
Latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

Re: Bank Chargeback

Under the Australian Consumer Law goods purchased have to be of merchantable quality. Major defects warrant the buyer to obtain a refund from the seller. Warranties don't come into play in this situation. It's the seller's responsibility to act (not the manufacturer).
Message 31 of 38
Latest reply

@homely787 wrote:

But it's no more PayPal for me. 

Given that very few sellers on eBay have Merchant Banking Facilities (EFTPOS) I'm curious to know how you intend to pay for items you want to buy on eBay.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 32 of 38
Latest reply

Thanks for your question. If that's the case I won't buy. I'll look elsewhere. When companies don't look after their customers they go downhill very fast. Kmart is a good example. Years back they tightened their return policy. Customers bolted. Kmart did a quick turn around and reinstated their original policy.
Message 33 of 38
Latest reply

When did you open the claim - before or after returning the item?

If you opened the claim after returning the item, because the seller didn't refund, that is the most likely reason the claim was denied. See the eligibility requirements below:

Transaction eligibility for PayPalโ€™s Buyer Protection Policy

To be eligible for PayPal Buyer Protection you must meet all of the following requirements:

Have a PayPal account in good standing.
Pay for the eligible item from your PayPal account. (This means you have to log in to an account to pay, if you don't, there's no buyer protection at all, even on eBay, in case this is the reason why)
Attempt to contact the seller to resolve your issue directly before filing a claim through the PayPal Resolution Centre.
Your payment is less than $20,000.
Respond to PayPal's request for documentation and other information within the time requested.
Open a dispute in the Resolution Centre within 180 days of the date you sent the payment, then follow our online dispute resolution process.
Not have received a recovery or agreed to an alternative resolution related to your purchase from another source.
You send the item back to the seller only in accordance with our instructions.

These policies are not really conducive to how post-sale problem resolution should work, and could be considered to be setting some buyers up to fail, IMHO, since they require buyers to try to resolve the problem directly with the seller in order to even be eligible for protection, but very clearly part of that resolution can involve the seller simply accepting return of the goods for a refund, and then later not following through, as what seems to have happened here. The only way to remain eligible is to contact the seller, but when it gets to sending an item back, advise them you'll be opening a dispute for the actual return process. Unless you trust them 100% to do the right thing, anyway. From a seller's point of view, these are really awful requirements as well, obviously a good seller will want to resolve an issue without the need for disputes and putting their PayPal account standing at risk Smiley Sad

Message 34 of 38
Latest reply

Just realised you'd already explained the timeline - disregard most of my post Smiley LOL Maybe there's something in the eligibility requirements that will help understand why it was denied. 

Message 35 of 38
Latest reply

Thanks for your message. Simply, PayPal is stuffing me around.
Message 36 of 38
Latest reply

You seem to have made your mind up long before you posted here. So why did you?

Message 37 of 38
Latest reply

My original enquiry was to determine who the "merchant" was (PayPal or the seller). Discussions flowed from that. BTW: My bank advised me the seller was the merchant. Thanks.
Message 38 of 38
Latest reply