Banned by seller for making a 'best offer'

kidres0
Community Member

Some idiot had an item he listed for $14 AUD and I made an 'best offer' of $7 AUD and he rejected the offer, then banned me. There was not a word exchanged between us, all that was exchanged was a 'best off'. Which is fine. Wouldn't want to deal with that cockroache anyway. But why can I still see his listings? It's like ebay is trying to troll me. If I can't buy anything from this jerk, why do I have to see his listings?

Message 1 of 203
Latest reply
202 REPLIES 202

Re: Banned by seller for making a 'best offer'

All 4 sets are different artists/series... I am not getting duplicates of cards to make new decks as an investment if that is what you think. I find it difficult to resell items as I have extremely poor mobility.

Message 101 of 203
Latest reply

So do I.

Which has nothing to do with online trading.

Message 102 of 203
Latest reply

Really? How do you plan on carrying on an ebay business when you can't get to the post office for 2 week stretches? Or maybe your definition of 'poor mobility' isn't the same at all.

Message 103 of 203
Latest reply

@kidres0,

Poor mobility doesn't need to be a bar to running a business. I can't speak for davewil as I'm not privy to the ins and outs of his business, but if I were a seller, and had mobility issues, I could do the following:

• employ someone to do the packing and/or despatch to nearest PO
  • have a spouse or family member drop off items to the PO
  • have a courier come to me to pick up parcels
  • do the dropping off of items myself using a walking stick, a walking frame, or wheelchair, as appropriate

It is tremendous that there are some excellent tools and facilities available for people with mobiilty issues. The help and advice we had for a family member whose mobility was severely impacted after three months in ICU are something for which I'll never cease to be grateful.

Message 104 of 203
Latest reply

@kidres0 wrote:

Some idiot had an item he listed for $14 AUD and I made an 'best offer' of $7 AUD and he rejected the offer, then banned me. There was not a word exchanged between us, all that was exchanged was a 'best off'. Which is fine. Wouldn't want to deal with that cockroache anyway. But why can I still see his listings? It's like ebay is trying to troll me. If I can't buy anything from this jerk, why do I have to see his listings?

Whether the seller should have blocked you or not is not really relevant because it's all down to a matter of opinion.

I can see you feel a bit shocked it happened.

The only fact that counts though is that sellers are entitled to block people without giving any reason and seller reactions are going to vary. Many wouldn't block you for a low offer, but quite a few will.

For a $14 item, you'd probably be looking (usually) at an offer of between about $12-$13.50 being in the ballpark. You of course are entitled to make any offer you wish but you also need to be aware that making half price (or less) offers or giving negative feedback quite regularly results in being put on a blocked list by that seller. Quite a few see low offers as insulting & time wasting. Not just this seller. I know in your mind this is OTT reaction but just keep it in mind next time you bid or make an offer. You've probably done your dash with this seller but you don't want to put too many others offside if you don't have to.

You probably can block a seller, as someone else showed the links to do that. I don't know how well it works as I've never tried it.

Message 105 of 203
Latest reply

springyzone, I've done this (excluding a seller's items from a search) in a case where my search for some Wedgwood kept being clogged up by a most viscid-tongued annular-orbed purveyor of china and creamware misusing certain search terms.

I think I've also excluded some sellers whose listings had the ubiquitous "Customs services and international tracking provided" showing.

Message 106 of 203
Latest reply

Ahh, I can see how it would be useful.Smiley Happy

Sort of like those sellers whose titles say-Parker, Chiswell, Eames in their furniture ads but the actual items are none of those, just in the 'style of'.

Message 107 of 203
Latest reply

Exactly!

I'm looking for a Regency chair to put in front of the Regency dressing table. Try searching for such a thing on eBay, and watch the results flood in... of Regency style. Almost impossible, it is, to filter out those results just by including -style, as the sellers concerned cunningly use a variety of ways to avoid precisely that. But if I identify the worst offenders, and add their usernames to the search, voilà.

(However, I'll probably buy from a specific UK site where a number of antique shops list some of their stock... and I'll probably weep bitterly at the price plus the freight... If you see huge splotches of wet patches in these boards, that will be why.)

Message 108 of 203
Latest reply

You might be just as well taking a little touring holiday of England. I have a friend who does exactly that a couple of times a year. Her husband collects old tools, so they stop at lots of little shops over there (and in USA) and buy, then ship back here.Smiley Happy

I can imagine you in England and touring Europe. You'd possibly be able to put a couple of crates together.Smiley Very Happy

Message 109 of 203
Latest reply

I can imagine you in England and touring Europe. You'd possibly be able to put a couple of crates together

If you make  it up to my neck of the woods you can borrow my mobility scooter or my wheelchair if you have somebody to push you.

Of course the fact I have mobility issues was a great hindrence to being a seller  NOT.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 110 of 203
Latest reply