Beware Chinese Drop-Shipping Scams

These are everywhere and getting worse. The seller pretends to be in Australia, so that even filtering your search for "Australia only" includes them. Here are some observations on how to spot them. eBay should be doing the same and closing every single account.

1. They are normally "in-yer-face" about being Australian (not always, but commonly). There are Aussie flags and/or Aussie maps in the product pictures that appear in your search. Their name often ends in "_au", as in "ChineseScammer_au".

2. If you search for the same seller name (go to advanced search and select "search by seller", you will often find that the same seller is pulling the same trick in other locations. So, if you suspect that "ChineseScammer_au" is faking their location to be in Australia, try searching for "ChineseScammer_us" and "ChineseScammer_eu" to see if they have global aspirations (the short answer is, yes... yes, they do).

3. The location is often vague, as: "Located: NSW, Australia"

4. When you push them for an actual address, they come up with a real doozy... often involving huge mail centres like Chullora or Botany. A common one looks like this: 

"Union Lucky Returns, P O Box 6008 #XXXXXX, CHULLORA New South Wales 1405 AU"

This is used to fake mail locations such that multiple businesses can have an Australian postal address (although if that address doesn't scream "scammer" then you need to read it again).

5. Contact may be revealing. They message in northern-hemisphere-friendly times. Yes, I am not only suggesting that the *item* is not in Australia, but the actual seller is not in Australia either. The replies seem to be partially auto-generated, often starting with "Dear friend".

6. The tracking number won't work with Australia Post. It just won't. Because the Australian item is in China. Try China Post. I guarantee you the tracking number works! And note how the China Post tracking will also be scam-friendly in that it will refer to "Picked up at AU Warehouse" etc. and the origin will be listed as "Australia", with the ever-present Australian flag. 

7. When the item arrives (which can sometimes be quite quick, but China Post tracking states it can vary from 7 to 60 days), the packaging is completely non-descript. There is nothing to indicate that it was sent from an Australian facility (because it wasn't). There will be small clues that it was sent from China, but they will not be obvious, just another scam-friendly feature I guess. 

8. The seller will absolutely NOT budge. Not a millimetre. They will state that they are in Australia no matter what evidence you throw at them. Even if the item was an $8 thing, they will fight to the end. When things get tough (like you contact eBay), then the "Dear friend" messages start arriving in earnest, attempting to wear you down to the point where you will accept some partial payment that you really don't want to accept but this starts to feel like it will take up the rest of your life so you surrender to it.

PLEASE report all to eBay. If you paid by PayPal, open a dispute. The seller will deny everything. Persist. If your item cost a couple of dollars, do it anyway. PayPal communicate to eBay, so also suggest that the account be closed, and if you found any others where it is clear that the same seller is operating with different IDs (e.g., swapping out "_au" for "_us", searching for the same item description and finding suspiciously identical adverts), let PayPal/eBay know about that as well.

These people have overrun eBay. As a buyer you are being misled. As an honest seller you are having customers funneled away from you. And, quite simply, it is also a breach of eBay policy. 

Everything you can do to close them is a Good Thing (TM)!!!  

Message 1 of 47
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Unfortunately some sellers are very misleading both on ebay and elsewhere. The advertising may lead you to suppose they are aussie sellers.

On ebay, I have found the best guide is the delivery date range.

If the end date is outside what you are prepared to put up with, don't buy. It is probably one of these Chinese sellers.

If the delivery date is reasonable but the item doesn't arrive by then, open an item not received claim. With ebay. Get your money back.

As sandy said, you can also check beforehand where the seller is registered and this is worth doing even if it does take an extra click and bit of investigating.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 47
Latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

All anyone needs to do is look where the seller is registered

The same thing has been posted on the forum hundreds of times

Everyone here knows exactly what 'Chullora' and other suburb code names for sellers registered in China means

And a huge number of buyers still buy from them and then complain

SO easily avoided

Of course, it means pressing one extra button

Better to buy from just anyone and then complain they were 'mislead'

Read the feedback page before you buy

Very very very very simple to do

Message 2 of 47
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Just so you know - ebay don't care.  

They get their fees.

It's also why they are called Teflon sellers.

It's much simpler than your rant....just look at their feedback page and it shows where they are registered.

If they are registered in China, then that's most likely where the item is coming from.

After checking where they are registered, JUST DON'T BUY FROM THEM!

If people stopped buying from them, then they would weed themselves out.

Message 3 of 47
Latest reply

You have been a member over 20 years I find it hard to believe that you do not check "where registered & feedback" before undertaking any purchase.  Due diligence is the name of the game.

Message 4 of 47
Latest reply

I'm confused,  last time I checked drop shipping wasnt against any law.

yes being located in china and pretending to be in Australia is  dodgy.   

But you seem to be implying drop shipping is a scam,  there are many business's that legitimately use drop shipping.   

I think you have 2 different issues mixed up.

Message 5 of 47
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

What policy, exactly, is it you think they are breaking?

Drop shipping | eBay

Message 6 of 47
Latest reply

Unfortunately some sellers are very misleading both on ebay and elsewhere. The advertising may lead you to suppose they are aussie sellers.

On ebay, I have found the best guide is the delivery date range.

If the end date is outside what you are prepared to put up with, don't buy. It is probably one of these Chinese sellers.

If the delivery date is reasonable but the item doesn't arrive by then, open an item not received claim. With ebay. Get your money back.

As sandy said, you can also check beforehand where the seller is registered and this is worth doing even if it does take an extra click and bit of investigating.

Message 7 of 47
Latest reply

OP, you post this as though it’s new information. However, most of the regular posters here have only posted how to identify Chinese eBay sellers… but they (including me) have done so more exactly and more simply.

There’s no need to go on a comparison hunt. Check the seller’s feedback profile page (accessible by clicking onto their feedback %) and you will see it in black and white. 

Registered in China xx/xx/xxx

These sellers are not subject to eBay Australia rules in the same way that sellers registered in eBay Australia are. eBay.com.au and eBay.cn are two different animals. eBay Australia does permit such sellers to list item location as somewhere in Australia, even when it’s not. Do a search on these boards for “just in time fulfilment” - I for one have explained this a few times after another well-respected member first introduced the topic here.

Message 8 of 47
Latest reply

Obviously you dont know much about logistics, be it national or international.

Just a couple of recent instances for you,  ordered machinery parts from a B&M distributor in Qld.  No worries parts will be overnighted from Sydney warehouse.  Next day, sorry parts now on back order from  USA.   Estimated delivery date, your guess is as good as mine.

Separate purchase   1 pallet of industrial parts, purchased from  B&M  Distributor  with $800  for  express freight, normally 3-4 days  door to door.  14 days and item has still not left distributor.  Issue currently under investigation.

Two weeks ago, went to buy a new vehicle.  Vehicle not expected to be available for another 4 months, despite the fact that it is just over  100km away.  Unfortunately it is stranded of the eastern seaboard, along with 1000's of others, waiting for port  entry due to quarantine delays.

For years international logistics, which also includes drop shipping (completely legal), has operated on a just in time system.   Will the system grind to a halt,  your guess is as good as mine

Message 9 of 47
Latest reply

Actually, the location fraud I am talking about is about faking the location... hence the name... If all you are doing is checking the feedback page then you haven't seen it.

... so my "rant" stands....

... and yours doesn't.

Message 10 of 47
Latest reply