Beware Chinese Drop-Shipping Scams

These are everywhere and getting worse. The seller pretends to be in Australia, so that even filtering your search for "Australia only" includes them. Here are some observations on how to spot them. eBay should be doing the same and closing every single account.

1. They are normally "in-yer-face" about being Australian (not always, but commonly). There are Aussie flags and/or Aussie maps in the product pictures that appear in your search. Their name often ends in "_au", as in "ChineseScammer_au".

2. If you search for the same seller name (go to advanced search and select "search by seller", you will often find that the same seller is pulling the same trick in other locations. So, if you suspect that "ChineseScammer_au" is faking their location to be in Australia, try searching for "ChineseScammer_us" and "ChineseScammer_eu" to see if they have global aspirations (the short answer is, yes... yes, they do).

3. The location is often vague, as: "Located: NSW, Australia"

4. When you push them for an actual address, they come up with a real doozy... often involving huge mail centres like Chullora or Botany. A common one looks like this: 

"Union Lucky Returns, P O Box 6008 #XXXXXX, CHULLORA New South Wales 1405 AU"

This is used to fake mail locations such that multiple businesses can have an Australian postal address (although if that address doesn't scream "scammer" then you need to read it again).

5. Contact may be revealing. They message in northern-hemisphere-friendly times. Yes, I am not only suggesting that the *item* is not in Australia, but the actual seller is not in Australia either. The replies seem to be partially auto-generated, often starting with "Dear friend".

6. The tracking number won't work with Australia Post. It just won't. Because the Australian item is in China. Try China Post. I guarantee you the tracking number works! And note how the China Post tracking will also be scam-friendly in that it will refer to "Picked up at AU Warehouse" etc. and the origin will be listed as "Australia", with the ever-present Australian flag. 

7. When the item arrives (which can sometimes be quite quick, but China Post tracking states it can vary from 7 to 60 days), the packaging is completely non-descript. There is nothing to indicate that it was sent from an Australian facility (because it wasn't). There will be small clues that it was sent from China, but they will not be obvious, just another scam-friendly feature I guess. 

8. The seller will absolutely NOT budge. Not a millimetre. They will state that they are in Australia no matter what evidence you throw at them. Even if the item was an $8 thing, they will fight to the end. When things get tough (like you contact eBay), then the "Dear friend" messages start arriving in earnest, attempting to wear you down to the point where you will accept some partial payment that you really don't want to accept but this starts to feel like it will take up the rest of your life so you surrender to it.

PLEASE report all to eBay. If you paid by PayPal, open a dispute. The seller will deny everything. Persist. If your item cost a couple of dollars, do it anyway. PayPal communicate to eBay, so also suggest that the account be closed, and if you found any others where it is clear that the same seller is operating with different IDs (e.g., swapping out "_au" for "_us", searching for the same item description and finding suspiciously identical adverts), let PayPal/eBay know about that as well.

These people have overrun eBay. As a buyer you are being misled. As an honest seller you are having customers funneled away from you. And, quite simply, it is also a breach of eBay policy. 

Everything you can do to close them is a Good Thing (TM)!!!  

Message 1 of 47
Latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

@loupy31 wrote:

I have had similar problems, I am in SA, Item was supposed to be in Melbourne,

But Further research, after I purchased it,  showed, it was coming from china, After many hours with ebay, I got a full refund, just over a month of waiting, the seller is a total A.Hole, 

And yes, Faking the location is Fraud, which ever way you look at it,  And is subject to Australian laws

Why did you buy from this seller when their feedback showed that they were pretty shonky? The onus is on YOU to check out a seller BEFORE you buy.

"FRAUD", the most abused word on the ebay forums. It's not fraud, it's the buyer (you) didn't check the seller out before buying. My guess is, buyer (you) bought because it was the cheapest. 

Message 21 of 47
Latest reply

I am so sick of these.  I have 3 items purchased in the last 2 weeks that are showing as tracking number provided,  but no further information (2 weeks later)  How do you report this to eBay, it is impossible to filter them out in search criteria.  All showed suburbs in NSW & QLD, one in the suburb next to me, which is why I purchased.

Message 22 of 47
Latest reply

I don't have these problems.

Perhaps it's because I spend 2 seconds clicking on the seller's feedback which shows where they are REGISTERED!

What do you want to report to eBay?

Do you not have the Estimated Delivery Date?

Do you not know how to use the eBay Money Back Guarantee?

Message 23 of 47
Latest reply

@signature035 wrote:

I am so sick of these.  I have 3 items purchased in the last 2 weeks that are showing as tracking number provided,  but no further information (2 weeks later)  How do you report this to eBay, it is impossible to filter them out in search criteria.  All showed suburbs in NSW & QLD, one in the suburb next to me, which is why I purchased.

Go to your 'My ebay' section.

Look at the original ad and see what the expected delivery dates were for those 3 items.

If any of the items are overdue, then open an official ebay claim on them, for a refund. You can do it on the basis that you have not received your product.

Follow through with this claim! Do not let it lapse.

You don't need to contact the seller about it, you don't need to 'report it to ebay' as such. It is automated.

You don't need to put up with any nonsense. If an item doesn't arrive on time, claim!

And don't be tempted to close the claim if the seller starts making excuses or promises.

Message 24 of 47
Latest reply

I FOUND IT ODD MANY ITEMS LIST AS THEM WHEN IN TRANSIT, But I always get the item, no issues so far and thats many. It seems they act like a shipping agent for Chinese products already in AUS. or a massive sized wholesaler like a big online cheap shop..HAD ONE YESTERDAY, Another listed as coming today by them and with each has different ebay seller name, indicating they act as a distribution agent

Message 25 of 47
Latest reply

You have been awfully lucky if you have had no issues

So many of the sellers you choose to buy from are either registered in China, or  are registered here, but (going by their feedback) do indeed dropship from China  (exactly as you describe, warehouse here where they store their junk)

Most of them have garbage feedback to boot

I certainly  would not be choosing to support such sellers

To each their own, but like I say, you have been very, very lucky not to have had any problems from them

Message 26 of 47
Latest reply

If "Lucky Union" is a "fake" address, then what happens to returns sent there?

Message 27 of 47
Latest reply

If the seller sends you a return label, that's not your problem.

If you haven't opened a relevant case, you will likely do your dough.

The eBay MBG is there to inordinately protect buyers. Use it.

Message 28 of 47
Latest reply

But what happens to things sent to that address if its "fake"
My point is, its obviously not fake, but who owns the PO box? Do items sent there get destroyed or redirected?

Message 29 of 47
Latest reply

@skinnyboy999 wrote:

But what happens to things sent to that address if its "fake"
My point is, its obviously not fake, but who owns the PO box? Do items sent there get destroyed or redirected?

who cares

Message 30 of 47
Latest reply