Beware Chinese Drop-Shipping Scams

These are everywhere and getting worse. The seller pretends to be in Australia, so that even filtering your search for "Australia only" includes them. Here are some observations on how to spot them. eBay should be doing the same and closing every single account.

1. They are normally "in-yer-face" about being Australian (not always, but commonly). There are Aussie flags and/or Aussie maps in the product pictures that appear in your search. Their name often ends in "_au", as in "ChineseScammer_au".

2. If you search for the same seller name (go to advanced search and select "search by seller", you will often find that the same seller is pulling the same trick in other locations. So, if you suspect that "ChineseScammer_au" is faking their location to be in Australia, try searching for "ChineseScammer_us" and "ChineseScammer_eu" to see if they have global aspirations (the short answer is, yes... yes, they do).

3. The location is often vague, as: "Located: NSW, Australia"

4. When you push them for an actual address, they come up with a real doozy... often involving huge mail centres like Chullora or Botany. A common one looks like this: 

"Union Lucky Returns, P O Box 6008 #XXXXXX, CHULLORA New South Wales 1405 AU"

This is used to fake mail locations such that multiple businesses can have an Australian postal address (although if that address doesn't scream "scammer" then you need to read it again).

5. Contact may be revealing. They message in northern-hemisphere-friendly times. Yes, I am not only suggesting that the *item* is not in Australia, but the actual seller is not in Australia either. The replies seem to be partially auto-generated, often starting with "Dear friend".

6. The tracking number won't work with Australia Post. It just won't. Because the Australian item is in China. Try China Post. I guarantee you the tracking number works! And note how the China Post tracking will also be scam-friendly in that it will refer to "Picked up at AU Warehouse" etc. and the origin will be listed as "Australia", with the ever-present Australian flag. 

7. When the item arrives (which can sometimes be quite quick, but China Post tracking states it can vary from 7 to 60 days), the packaging is completely non-descript. There is nothing to indicate that it was sent from an Australian facility (because it wasn't). There will be small clues that it was sent from China, but they will not be obvious, just another scam-friendly feature I guess. 

8. The seller will absolutely NOT budge. Not a millimetre. They will state that they are in Australia no matter what evidence you throw at them. Even if the item was an $8 thing, they will fight to the end. When things get tough (like you contact eBay), then the "Dear friend" messages start arriving in earnest, attempting to wear you down to the point where you will accept some partial payment that you really don't want to accept but this starts to feel like it will take up the rest of your life so you surrender to it.

PLEASE report all to eBay. If you paid by PayPal, open a dispute. The seller will deny everything. Persist. If your item cost a couple of dollars, do it anyway. PayPal communicate to eBay, so also suggest that the account be closed, and if you found any others where it is clear that the same seller is operating with different IDs (e.g., swapping out "_au" for "_us", searching for the same item description and finding suspiciously identical adverts), let PayPal/eBay know about that as well.

These people have overrun eBay. As a buyer you are being misled. As an honest seller you are having customers funneled away from you. And, quite simply, it is also a breach of eBay policy. 

Everything you can do to close them is a Good Thing (TM)!!!  

Message 1 of 47
Latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

@skinnyboy999 wrote:

Me, that's why I asked. Do you struggle with basic comprehension?

You were asked if you opened an MBG dispute - you didn't answer that question.

IF you have done that then eBay would have provided that address, and it doesn't matter if you think the address is false or not.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 31 of 47
Latest reply

You refer to  Union Lucky Returns, P O Box 6008 #XXXXXX, CHULLORA New South Wales 1405 "   AU "  

Yes it is  Selling  Chinese made product 

REOLINK INNOVATION LIMITED
Room B, 4th Floor, Kingway Commercial Building, 171-
173 Lockhart Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong   

They Make and sell Reolink security cameras  .  Yes these are made in China 

But if you place an order for these cameras in Australia    from 

Reolink - Reolink Australia Official leading Local Distributor

ant932920_0-1691465719161.png

Which is a Partner Company of REOLINK INNOVATION LIMITED Hong Kong
 I Purchased and received

Order #28396

Ship from New South Wales

Reolink TrackMix (Battery)
VERSION: 1 Camera (White) + 1 Solar Panel 2 (Black)
X1AU $ 382.49
Reolink TrackMix (Battery)
WiFi Connection & Battery/Solar-Powered

They Ship from New South Wales.

From a  Sydney warehouse  with an address 
Union Lucky Returns, P O Box 6008 #XXXXXX, CHULLORA New South Wales 14

Within Two days of placing my order with this company I received exactly what i ordered shipped with full tracking from Australia Post   and a sticker saying Sender..... Union Lucky Returns, P O Box 6008

So   maisy_ferret  I am not sure what you post was about  this company even has an Aust  ABN  
PREVIEW

Message 32 of 47
Latest reply

I'm fed up with these sellers. Had a complaint open with eBay "Help" the other day and they wouldn't come to the party about refunding me their commission due to allowing this to continue. The "Help" member claimed he understood why I was expecting eBay to allow it to continue... why not, no skin off their nose because they still get their commission. Right! The other thing that annoys me is that not only are my items always late but this is another way the Chinese Government are assisting business from a communist country to erode the state of our good, democratic Australian economy. This is because basically eBay are turning a blind eye to the fact that these sellers are, en-masse, successfully avoiding the 10% GST obligations that eBay made with the Australian Government about imported items on their platform. So eBay still get get paid, the Chinese sellers screw us over and genuine Australian businesses get hollowed out by the Chinese. Way to go eBay!

Message 33 of 47
Latest reply

You made the informed choice to buy from who you did

Not bothering to check the feedback first is on you alone

You are supporting these sellers and then complaining about it

Just because something is on the site does'nt mean you have to buy it

The seller in China you bought from has feedback that is in the toilet

Many buyers registered here have feedback enough to make anyone run a mile due to drops hipping etc

You don't get to support these seller and then complain you are supporting them

And then blame eBay for letting you buy from dodgy sellers in the first place

You are'nt fed up or you would care who you buy from

And leave negs

You do neither 

Message 34 of 47
Latest reply

Oh the joy of it,  You complain about overseas business's,  but you yourself are supporting them by purchasing from them.

Just an aside in case you have overlooked at it,  even if you decide to stop buying from chinese sellers on Ebay.   The majority of products you will buy from Australian sellers be it on Ebay or Bricks and Mortar stores,  are made in china,  so there you go supporting them again.   LOL

Message 35 of 47
Latest reply

they wouldn't come to the party about refunding me their commission 

Are you for real?

A buyer doesn't pay eBay any commission.

Message 36 of 47
Latest reply

@3.14fingers wrote:

I'm fed up with these sellers.

Had a complaint open with eBay "Help" the other day and they wouldn't come to the party about refunding me their commission due to allowing this to continue.

The other thing that annoys me is that not only are my items always late but this is another way the Chinese Government are assisting business from a communist country these sellers are, en-masse, successfully avoiding the 10% GST obligations that eBay made with the Australian Government about imported items on their platform. So eBay still get get paid, the Chinese sellers screw us over and genuine Australian businesses get hollowed out by the Chinese. Way to go eBay!

I'm a bit puzzled. I can't see which sellers you mean as you have left no negative feedback.

I am also confused about what you mean about being refunded the commission. As a buyer, you would be refunded the cost of goods and postage.  That's it. You didn't pay any commission on the sale, that comes out of the seller's pocket. It's deducted from the the total cost of the item.

The bit that gets me most though is you state that your items from Chinese sellers are always late.

If that is the case, why don't you open an ebay claim for item not received? or leave neg feedback?

I'm not keen on buying from sellers located in China either & I haven't for a while now, mainly because of the longer wait times plus I would rather support an Australian based business, but when I have bought small things from China, those sellers were upfront about their location, the item location and the delivery window. And I always received the goods.

I guess ebay isn't worried too much about which businesses any of us support-Chinese or Australian etc as long as the transactions go smoothly & legally.

You have to remember, ebay itself is an American company.

Message 37 of 47
Latest reply

I have a notice from Australia post saying my parcel has been delivered.   No idea who Union Lucky is and what they sell.  Aus post tracking number works but the lady at the office has not sighted it and sys it has not been delivered.  Have instituted a query through Australia Post and Ebay has not got me buying anything from them.  

Message 38 of 47
Latest reply

'Union Lucky' is not an eBay seller

Have a look on the forum

ie

https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Search/Who-is-union-lucky-returns/qaq-p/2544767

And others 

A place of choice for Sellers in China 

Possibly the one who has most recently left you feedback

Message 39 of 47
Latest reply

These scammers are on Kogan also.

I bought a 4g trail cam from Kogan that was supposed to be Sold by and ships from Relink. But the email with the tracking information is saying it's sent by Union Lucky Returns.

Message 40 of 47
Latest reply