Boots

Bought some nice boots from seller in Victoria. The size of boots, seller said, was an 8. Looking at the picture of the boots they looked like a 7 to me. But I took sellers word for it. They arrived and they were too small. I ended up selling them to someone for $10.00. They cost $30.00 plus $13.00 postage. The listing said no returns. Im a slight despondent about it. Felt like telling the seller about it but havent.
Message 1 of 30
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Boots

Hi Michelle.

I've bought lots of shoes and boots on eBay and struck some doozies. My favorite was the seller who stated the shoes were a 6. There were no photos of the marked size.

When they arrived they were an 8. The seller responded to my email with "oh, I took my best guess at an Australian size". The brand was a well known Australian one and they were made in Australia...she offered me free post on any other purchase!

Needless to say I never bought from her again. I gave them away. This was before the eBay money back guarantee. A Paypal claim would have meant my paying return shipping then, too, so it was the best option at the time...find someone who could use them. The seller refused essentially to do anything about their error. I hope you find another pair that you like to make up for feeling despondent.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 30
Latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Boots

imastawka
Honored Contributor

No returns means 'change of mind', Michelle.

If they weren't an 8 you could have gotten your money back.

Were they UK size 8?    An American size 8 is a UK 6

But good going, telling the size from the picture. 

Is this a skill that can be taught?

Message 2 of 30
Latest reply

Boots

First of all michelle, I find it really hard to believe you could tell the difference between a size 7 boot and a size 8 just from a photo.  However, let's give you the benefit of the doubt on this one and say you could. That being the case why on earth did you buy them?  If they looked too small to you, you should have resisted the urge or at the very least asked the seller to confirm the size and perhaps provide some measurements.  As always, it was bound to end badly.  What size did it say on the bottom of the boot?  If it says 8, then you have nothing to reproach the seller about, they were as described.  If it says 7, then you should have contacted the seller immediately to point out the error.  Too late now, you have already resold them so you are no longer entitled to a return or refund.

Cheers,

Penny
Message 3 of 30
Latest reply

Boots

I'm guessing that they were indeed Size 8, but the seller decided to clean them up for the photo shoot. No doubt the spin cycle caused a bit of shrinkage.

The good news story is that you managed to try them on without the interference of your theiving neighbour or postman. Well done!
Message 4 of 30
Latest reply

Boots

Hi Michelle.

I've bought lots of shoes and boots on eBay and struck some doozies. My favorite was the seller who stated the shoes were a 6. There were no photos of the marked size.

When they arrived they were an 8. The seller responded to my email with "oh, I took my best guess at an Australian size". The brand was a well known Australian one and they were made in Australia...she offered me free post on any other purchase!

Needless to say I never bought from her again. I gave them away. This was before the eBay money back guarantee. A Paypal claim would have meant my paying return shipping then, too, so it was the best option at the time...find someone who could use them. The seller refused essentially to do anything about their error. I hope you find another pair that you like to make up for feeling despondent.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 5 of 30
Latest reply

Boots

Bought some nice boots from seller in Victoria. The size of boots, seller said, was an 8. Looking at the picture of the boots they looked like a 7 to me. But I took sellers word for it. They arrived and they were too small. I ended up selling them to someone for $10.00. They cost $30.00 plus $13.00 postage. The listing said no returns. Im a slight despondent about it. Felt like telling the seller about it but havent.

------------------------------

I'd feel despondent too if I spent $43 on boots that didn't fit. If the seller made a mistake about the size listed on them, then no matter what the ad says about returns, you would be entitled to make a claim for item not as described. That way you would have received your money back & that is obviously a lot better than just getting $10.

I am wondering though why you had to ask the seller in the first place. Was the size not listed in the ad at all?

It doesn't matter one iota what size you thought they might be or what size they looked in the photo. It doesn't even matter if they fit you or not.

All that matters is what size they actually are. There should be a  mark on them somewhere, either inside or on the sole, to tell you that. What does it say?

If it says 8 but they are on the small side, then that isn't the seller's fault.That is a risk you take when buying clothes or shoes on ebay.

If the shoes have some tag other than 8, what does it say? If it is a european sizing, it should say eg 39.

A UK size would say 6. I can't think of any where an aussie 8 would = 7 elsewhere so if the boots have 7 printed on them, then the seller is at fault.

With that postage, I am guessing it was a seller within Australia. If for some reason there is absolutely no marking as to size on these boots, you would have been better to ask for inside measurement rather than a guestimate as to size. Or not have bought at all. When in doubt, don't.

Message 6 of 30
Latest reply

Boots

The seller did not make a mistake....the size in the listing is an 8 and there is no way that Michelle could tell what size they are from the one photo in the listing.   They are rubber rain boots.

Michelle, what size are the boots that you received?   If they are labelled a size 8 then the seller is not at fault.  If you have not worn these boots before you should have asked for measurements before buying as you really don't know if they are a large or small make.

Message 7 of 30
Latest reply

Boots

You need to wipe your chin, you seem to just go from thread to thread making stupid comments without really ever adding any value to said topic, for future reference, stay off my threads unless you actually have something to contribute
Message 8 of 30
Latest reply

Boots

@stua.mont wrote:
You need to wipe your chin, you seem to just go from thread to thread making stupid comments without really ever adding any value to said topic, for future reference, stay off my threads unless you actually have something to contribute

For your future reference, these are public boards and any member can post on any thread at all without the approval of the author.

You do not own the threads that you create and cannot dictate who posts on them.

Message 9 of 30
Latest reply

Boots

So having people like *tippy*toes* and yourself commenting on threads that don't help the OP in anyway is good in what way?
Message 10 of 30
Latest reply