Can I purchase a World War 1 bayonet located in the US, and then have it shipped to Australia?

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Can I purchase a World War 1 bayonet located in the US, and then have it shipped to Australia?

That's a googly you've sent down.

If the seller ships to your location I don't see why not.

What do customs have to say on the importation of bayonets?

Message 2 of 24
Latest reply

You would have to check with Customs/ABF.  I would think they were a double edged blade and as such would now be a prohibited/restricted import.

Message 3 of 24
Latest reply

Have trouble tying someone down or a Government Dept. in Australia responsible (Customs says Border Force, who says Veteran Affairs, who says bla bla, etc).  Can't see why as Bayonets are not double edged, they are blunt and do not cut .  To Australian collectors like myself,  they are an historical items WW1 &WW2, some made and issued to Aussies.  Also, we can buy and sell them in Australia and post them, I've just never tried to import one before. I can't figure out these rocket scientist Politicians...

Message 4 of 24
Latest reply

what method of shipping is offered on the listing?

If it is Global Shipping through Pitney Bowes then there is likely to be a shipping issue as many have reported that PB won't even forward butter knives to Australia.

Message 5 of 24
Latest reply

If it's coming via GSP then Pitney Bowes will confiscate it.

They won't ship it.

You can take that to the bank.

They won't even send butter knives.

Message 6 of 24
Latest reply

Thank you for that information, very much appreciated. Still, can't figure out why.

Message 7 of 24
Latest reply

PLEASE forgive my ignorance/nativity, but who is Pitney Bowes and what influence do they have over say USPS or DHL that will be shipping my bayonet from the US to Australia??? Who are they the international postage sheriffs??

Message 8 of 24
Latest reply

Even if it's not coming via the GSP, customs may still confiscate it because it's classified as a weapon, if they do that you'll lose both the bayonet and your money.

Maybe just wait until one comes up in Australia.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 9 of 24
Latest reply

@leg-spin wrote:

PLEASE forgive my ignorance/nativity, but who is Pitney Bowes and what influence do they have over say USPS or DHL that will be shipping my bayonet from the US to Australia??? Who are they the international postage sheriffs??

Pitney Bowes run the Global Shipping Program used by eBay to carry items from the USA and UK to worldwide destinations.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 10 of 24
Latest reply