Can I purchase a World War 1 bayonet located in the US, and then have it shipped to Australia?

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Can I purchase a World War 1 bayonet located in the US, and then have it shipped to Australia?

To add, if the GSP is being used in the listing it will mention the Global Shipping Program on the listing.

In saved searches it will show as below :-

Capture.PNG

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 11 of 24
Latest reply

@leg-spin

If it were me, Iโ€™d contact a registered antiques dealer of WW1 & WW2 artefacts and ask them about importing from overseas. I used to know a bloke who had stuff shipped over from France all the time.  

Or

Contact a licensed customs broker and ask them some FAQ. They will definitely know the ins and outs.  
If you look on the Australian Border Force website, there is a tab about imports and within that, is a link to registered customs brokers.  (Just their business names, thereโ€™s tons of them). 

Anything remotely sharp or sharp looking, sent via Pitney Bowes, ends up in the black hole of Calcuttaโ€ฆโ€ฆ never to be seen again! 

*****On a side noteโ€ฆ. Anyone care for a small wager! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Im loving these customs threads ๐Ÿ˜‚

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 12 of 24
Latest reply

As already stated, Pitney Bowes is responsible for the Global Shipping Program.

This would be a list of items they restrict from global trade: https://docs.shippingapi.pitneybowes.com/carriers/cbds-compliance.html#how-does-cbds-handle-restrict...

Message 13 of 24
Latest reply

From the Australian Border Force website.

Just be aware & careful who you choose to ship it.

Screenshot_20211218-085301_Chrome.jpg

Message 14 of 24
Latest reply

@leg-spin wrote:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi there. when dealing with sensitive items such as the bayonet etc., I always suggest the elmih22  method. Send it in a message to seller with a "Please if possible could do do this"  request.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Text form below
@elmih22  wrote:

elmih22

Guide

โ€Ž07-10-2013 12:42 AM

You CAN opt out of the Global Shipping Program.

Go to:

My eBay > My account > Site Preferences > Shipping preferences > EDIT > click 'yes' on 'opt out of the GSP > you will get this:

'You successfully opted out of the Global Shipping Program'.

Also you can 'check' the countries/continents where you do NOT want to ship to. You can check all the places you do NOT want to ship to, besides countries/continents - like PO Boxes, etc.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Archive-International-Trading/How-to-opt-out-of-global-shipping-progra...

jpg form below

4channel_1-1641685732687.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note the member is in the US but the method prescribed works. Over the years, it has helped and some others I have shared it with a few times. If seller is happy to do this then you're in.

Message 15 of 24
Latest reply

As usual - just a tad late to the party.

Message 16 of 24
Latest reply

Just where does the OP say that it is listed with the GSP?

Message 17 of 24
Latest reply

It seems the OP is always irrelevant. ๐Ÿ˜€

Message 18 of 24
Latest reply

@4channel wrote:

Note the member is in the US but the method prescribed works. Over the years, it has helped and some others I have shared it with a few times. If seller is happy to do this then you're in.

Be careful with that, contacting sellers and asking them to use a shipping method not offered in the listing could be construed as a breach of ebay policy, and I know you wouldn't want to do that. The language here is a little contradictory since a demand is very different from a request, but technically they say to do neither. 

roh roh.PNG

Message 19 of 24
Latest reply

Well, I can't believe that politely asking a seller if they could change from GSP to the trusted USPS would be an offense. Anyway, most sellers have no idea that their overseas sales are going via GSP.

And as you'd probably be aware. If the seller is happy to do this then the item will be relisted in a new austion or BIN sale with the trusted USPS as the carrier. And if in the UK, then their usual post.

Message 20 of 24
Latest reply