Fake Australian sellers

osf2005
Community Member
Maybe it's just me, but when are eBay going to do something about sellers in Asia claiming to be in Australia! If I want to be something directly from China I'll do it, but when I put the Australia only filter on and I have to check every sellers details to see if they are really Australian it's frustrating! Fraudulent and about time eBay steps up and does something...
Message 1 of 112
Latest reply
111 REPLIES 111

Re: Fake Australian sellers

No not really. I just check the feedback score overall and the item location (If I want it delivered faster, I look for an "AU seller") or China if I'm not in a hurry for it, or its significantly less expensive than other "purported" AU sellers

Delivery times are generally way off the mark anyway
Message 51 of 112
Latest reply

Well it's clear eBay China/Worldwide is not going to do anything about it as its been going on for sooooo long

I have made up a form letter now, which I send to the seller if they are advertising that the item location is in Australia, asking them outright, is the item shipped from Australia? No reply, no sale
Message 52 of 112
Latest reply

Hi,

I'm dealing with one of these sellers at the moment. If a seller claims to be Australian shipping from Australia Isn't this also defrauding the Australian government?

The GST isn't applied to such sales so the seller can keep the prices lower with a buyer not having to pay another 10% on top for an overseas purchase.

It must add up to a lot of missed Government revenue but makes things easier for eBay.

Message 53 of 112
Latest reply

Not sure about the GST side of things, interesting thought tho. I have taken to reporting sellers that advertise the item they are selling is located in AU, but turns out its shipped from China.

Yes, a few folks hassling eBay about this anomaly is going to make no difference, but if thousands of users all start reporting this to thier respective eBay country and they have to respond, *maybe*, *eventually* something might get done about it.

I just have a form letter on my desktop, so its not really a hassle for me, but could be a hassle for eBay having to acknowledge it
Message 54 of 112
Latest reply

Sorry.  Double post.

Message 55 of 112
Latest reply

@monarols wrote:
Well it's clear eBay China/Worldwide is not going to do anything about it as its been going on for sooooo long

I have made up a form letter now, which I send to the seller if they are advertising that the item location is in Australia, asking them outright, is the item shipped from Australia? No reply, no sale

Is it written in Chinese?    Or are you expecting a little bit too much?

Their Chinglish is sometimes non-existent.  Just because the listing is in English,

doesn't mean they understand everything.

Nor does an on-line translator do the right job.

And do you then believe them when they say it's in Australia, but their feedback says it's not?

You have the tools at your disposal to see where the item might be located, so it's really up to you.

Message 56 of 112
Latest reply

Yes, of course the email is in Chinese and English. Am I expecting too much? No, I don't think so, a simple yes or no will suffice.
Message 57 of 112
Latest reply

If i saw an ad on ebay in English, with the item listed as being in Australia and I wrote to the seller, I'd write in English & I don't think that is unreasonable.

I expect that anyone trading in Australia and located here will have some form of English or have people working for them who have. I don't expect perfection, but I'd expect some basic English. I don't think that is being racist either.

If i went to live & trade in China, I'd expect to have to field queries in Chinese. I would not expect them to be writing to me in English.

It's a different thing if a seller is openly located in China but even so, I have found that every single one I have ever contacted has someone on board or at least a translator app on their phone that can deal with (simple) English.

The question-is this (item) located in Australia-is not too complicated.

Mind you, if I saw an item listed as located in Aust with a seller listed elsewhere or delivery a month off-antenna up!! Would only buy from them if I had to ie couldn't find item elsewhere.

Message 58 of 112
Latest reply

I would expect (through experience) that a person / business who has lied in their eBay listing about the item being in Australia, lying about the item being a particular brand and being genuine, and lying about re-sending and item if a buyer enquires about an item not having arrived or being fake, would not hesitate to lie directly to me if I enquired prior to buying, "Is this item being posted from within Australia (domestic postage) or is it being shipped from China?"

This is not to decry the Chinese people. It is an acknowledgement that business practices, social customs, and "face" work very differently in different cultures. For example, in western cultures it is often lauded when someone lies in order to be kind. It's also the case that the business practice of giving a false impression in order to induce people to buy product X rather than the competitor's product Y is admired as "sharp business practice". Advertising in any country is designed to grab a market share even when the item being advertised is shoddy or at least no better than everything else on the market.

We're used to these sorts of lies here in Australia. We regard advertising that says a particular product may lessen the symptoms of a cold with at least a bit of cynicism, I think. Political advertising in particular may get the average Australian's bovine ordure antennae quivering.

We're not used, however, to the way in which Chinese loss of face works, and how face can be gained or lost through behaviours which reflect some form of value, worth, status, honour or morality. In particular, Australians automatically think "Ah, morality, then that means that if I believe what this person is assuring me is true, I am trusting in his sense of morality, which means I can trust him because it would be shameful for this person to lie to me like that. So - I believe him!"   ... and that's not how it works. Rather, putting it in an incredibly simplified form, if a westerner is fooled by a Chinese businessman about being able to produce or sell or provide items of high standard or genuine quality for a price that is ludicrously low, the loss of face is the westerner's, not the Chinese businessman's. The westerner should have known better, and was party to fooling himself by greed - that is at least part of the Chinese perception.

So... I wouldn't bother asking a Chinese eBay seller whose feedback shows he has already lied repeatedly to other buyers about item location (and almost certainly about item quality), "Is this item being posted from within Australia?" To even ask would suggest I'm willing to ignore evidence and be party to fooling myself. What would a reply assuring me that yes, indeed, the item would be posted from within Australia be worth...?

Message 59 of 112
Latest reply

An educated post countessalmiirena.

What would a reply assuring me that yes, indeed, the item would be posted from within Australia be worth...?

5 stars for Postage time instead of the 1 star they get from me for lying/deceiving

Message 60 of 112
Latest reply