Fake Australian sellers

osf2005
Community Member
Maybe it's just me, but when are eBay going to do something about sellers in Asia claiming to be in Australia! If I want to be something directly from China I'll do it, but when I put the Australia only filter on and I have to check every sellers details to see if they are really Australian it's frustrating! Fraudulent and about time eBay steps up and does something...
Message 1 of 112
Latest reply
111 REPLIES 111

Re: Fake Australian sellers

Monarols, if the reply were true, that would be unwonted - if the enquiry were made to a seller whose negative feedback indicates that the seller lied and that the item came from China.

It isn't the reply that would be an assurance to me that the item is coming from Australia. It would be the actual arrival of the item (with regard to postage time (although that isn't always an indicator since AP can sometimes play merry hell with postage times), any stamps, or packaging such as AP satchel or box).

A promise is as trustworthy as its source.

Message 61 of 112
Latest reply

Agreed, and thats why they only get one star for postage, when I receive the package that is clearly from China.

The purpose of the enquiry email is to test the integrity of the seller. If the reply states, yes, the item is located in Oz, as is ADVERTISED, and it arrives by China Post some 15-18 days later, the seller deserves no more than 1 star

They could have saved them self negative feedback by just saying its from China upfront. The email too them, simply gives the vendor that chance
Message 62 of 112
Latest reply

Have tried all of the mentioned filters. None work. I currently specify items available for 4 day delivery.
Message 63 of 112
Latest reply

Ebay don't care cause they are making money, They say they do but actions speak louder than words.

Message 64 of 112
Latest reply

osf2005
Community Member
I'm the OP from 2016! And eBay still haven't done a thing. Shame.
Message 65 of 112
Latest reply

Purchased a couple of items from a seller with a item location about 10km away

Should takea couple of days to get here and it's been over a week

Started checking and the delivery is coming from interstate.

Checked further and the seller has about 20 ebay Id's selling the same items, all supposedly supplied from same local location.

Further checking - marked as shipped the day after purchased but not picked up by courier until a week later.

This delay in shipping is a regular occurrance and it is usually the same scenariio - overseas seller with multiple ebay ID's, masquerading as local seller and marking items shipped well before they are sent. 

When you have a problem and try to buy from another seller, it turns out that it is the same slack supplier.

Like everyone else, I'm wondering if eBay is ever going to do something and clean up these fake sellers.

Demand a verifiable local address and make all PayPal payment be deposited in an Australian bank account

Message 66 of 112
Latest reply

"Like everyone else, I'm wondering if eBay is ever going to do something and clean up these fake sellers."

No while buyers continue to not look at the poor feedback & easily check the country of registration of Asian based sellers.

Do you check feedback & look at country of registration?

Message 67 of 112
Latest reply

The last two purchases I checked the sellers feedback and they only had a small number of negatives.

What I have found since is that the seller has several Id's (gave up at 10 id's) so the negatives are being spread around. 

The seller does ship from China but the items I ordered were listed as being shipped from a local address. The shipping details indicate that they are being shipped from interstate, but they haven't been picked up one week after they have been listed as being sent

Wonder if this is fraudulent

Message 68 of 112
Latest reply

This is an epidemic! Tried today to find a item and gave up after 6 pages of Chinese pretend Australian sellers. Ended up on Amazon and instantly got what I wanted from a real local supplier. You need to clean up your act eBay.
Message 69 of 112
Latest reply

Glad to Know its not just me, I have noticed for the first time I can remember, Ebay has resorted to advertising , I don't have much of an opinion of them either, for them to score a 1 it would need to be out of much higher than ten. Anyone remember the Trading post all it took was a tack over from Telstra, to finish them off
Message 70 of 112
Latest reply