Global Shipping Program is a scam

I do not buy anymore from sellers who use this scam.(see link below)

In a few cases I asked a seller if he/she can post an item via UPS or Royal Mail and in each case they declined- consequently no deal has been made.

I have a question to Australian sellers if they have been forced by ebay Australia to use GSP or can they elect to post an item via Australia Post.

Scam like GSP and inflated postage costs in Austalia and US begin to kill trade and  consequently I begin to limit my purchases.

<Removed>

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

It's not a scam.

Just don't buy from sellers using it.

It's a courier service that is expensive for small items but can be very economical for larger items.

I suggest you educate yourself on the meaning of the word scam before making further defamatory remarks that leaves you open to litigation.

image host
Message 2 of 20
Latest reply

GSP is not available to Australian sellers.

Message 3 of 20
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

@alwayspossible wrote:

Do you actually know the meaning of the word scam?  It is not synonymous with the GSP.

In a few cases I asked a seller if he/she can post an item via UPS or Royal Mail and in each case they declined- consequently no deal has been made.

Why on earth would you want a seller to send anything with UPS....it is arguably the most expensive private courier service servicing Australia.  I suspect you mean USPS (the United States Postal Service).

I have a question to Australian sellers if they have been forced by ebay Australia to use GSP or can they elect to post an item via Australia Post.

The GSP is not available in Australia but if/when it is I think a lot of sellers may take advantage of the protections offered to them to sell internationally.  The GSP offers full seller protection....the items are fully tracked and insurred and the seller has no responsibility once the item has reached the GSP hub.

Scam like GSP and inflated postage costs in Austalia and US begin to kill trade and  consequently I begin to limit my purchases.

link:

https://www.change.org/p/ebay-paypal-global-shipping-program-is-a-scam

Inflated postage costs in Australia have nothing to do with the GSP so not sure how it is killing international trade.  Somehow I doubt that your less than 500 ebay purchases in 15 years are going to make a huge difference to trade within Australia, or even internationally.

Message 4 of 20
Latest reply

Oh Wow, where do I sign.

Oh hang on  this petition, from 7 years ago, closed with a grand total of 238  followers,  Not  very accurate or relevant then, and certainly not now either.

It does seem though, that the OP and the Petitioner both have little knowledge of the  GSP

Message 5 of 20
Latest reply

So sellers won’t do as you instruct them to and so the service is a scam

That about the gist?

Because you clearly have zero idea what you are talking about

Message 6 of 20
Latest reply

@alwayspossible wrote:

link:

https://www.change.org/p/ebay-paypal-global-shipping-program-is-a-scam

Hi, good post! Yes, I hear what you say and I agree. The GSP is nearly always bad news with the cost, slower service and risk of damage etc etc.. But there is good news. Most of the sellers I have asked to change to USPS First Class or the UK equivalent are more than happy too do so and some have no idea that their OS sales are going via GSP.  I just ask if they could please re-list and they are happy to do so.

Just a word of caution with the very cheap Economy postage. Yeah, it's less than half the price of USPS First Class, sometimes less than a third or more, but be aware that with issues relating to Covid 19 and slower shipping, it could take longer than 2 months and tracking may be an issue. Best at this time to use it if you have a secure mail box and have dealt with that seller before.Or if the seller is well-establlished.

Best wishes, I hope you get satisfaction and sorry to hear of your frustration. Coompletely understandable!

Message 7 of 20
Latest reply

Hi, here are the steps that a seller can use to opt out of GSP.

To opt out of the GSP, US sellers only have to go into

(My eBay summary page)

account > site preferences > shipping preferences > Offer the Global Shipping Program > edit > no

Hope this hellps. Some sellers may be tired and just the effort of having to work it out may be a bit much.

AFAIK this hasn't changed and should still work.

Best wishes.

Message 8 of 20
Latest reply

Scam, one of the most abused words of the 21st century. Is there anything these days that isn't a scam?

Message 9 of 20
Latest reply

It's nice to see 4channel C & P my instructions re the opt out   big grin smiley.gif

Message 10 of 20
Latest reply