Hi all, aren't you annoyed at sellers who constantly rip people off?

I was browsing Ebay and saw a tail lamp for a "car", the vehicle is not important other than the seller is basing its price on the cars exotic type.

Now the seller wants around AU $1700 for ONE USED tail lamp.

I checked on a website for the price of a  NEW GENUINE part - you can buy a PAIR of tail lamps, NEW-GENUINE, for only AU$1600.

How do these theiving scum get away with this?

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

It's not a rip-off, a seller can put any price they like on an item - if the buyer is not prepared to do research into the item then more fool them.

I have a second hand book on my watchlist that's listed for over $2,000 when the same book can be purchased for just over $100.00 from a different site.

Caviat Emptor...................

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 22
Latest reply

Nah,  I want the  Lambo one.   1 tail light for $5800.   Then I can pretend I have the rest of the lambo to go with it.

Message 3 of 22
Latest reply

It IS a Lambo lamp - dunno what model your lamp is for though?

Message 4 of 22
Latest reply

@6345.xsnrgy wrote:

I was browsing Ebay and saw a tail lamp for a "car", the vehicle is not important other than the seller is basing its price on the cars exotic type.

I checked on a website for the price of a  NEW GENUINE part - you can buy a PAIR of tail lamps, NEW-GENUINE, for only AU$1600.

It does sound like a rip-off price, if you're talking identical tail lamps.

I think though that if I were needing any car part that cost that much, I'd be looking at the new price first and basing my second hand buying in relation to that. It's a lot of money (to me) so wouldn't be an impulse buy.

There are a few sellers, usually not what i would call the experienced sellers or those who run a small business-more the mum & dad home seller, who do ask over the top prices for their second hand stuff. You're possibly a male (given your interest in tail lamps, although I know some women are car enthusiasts too) but back in about April/May I saw this overpricing happening big time with people selling second hand thermomixes, and asking $1800 for them. At that time there was a massive clearance on and the new TM5 ones were selling for hundreds less than that, with extra bonuses.

So why do sellers do this? One reason could be ignorance. Maybe they haven't bothered to even check current new prices.

Maybe they have an inflated idea of the worth of their own stuff. I have struck friends like that, who expect top dollar for very tired, jaded Tupperware pieces. They say 'But it was very expensive when i bought it". Which was back when Noah was a kid.

I shake my head too but the reality is that usually, if it is grossly overpriced, it probably won't sell.

I wouldn't say the majority of sellers are thieves, the home sellers are probably just overly optimistic or inexperienced and quite frankly, they are in the minority on ebay these days anyway, it's almost wall to wall shop sellers.

Message 5 of 22
Latest reply

@6345.xsnrgy wrote:

Are you sure that the $1600 gets a complete set of tail lamps, or just the replacement lenses, after all, it is a Lambo.

Message 6 of 22
Latest reply

I would guess that price is for the globes and free fitting. 

Message 7 of 22
Latest reply

It's only extortion or ripping people off if the seller is taking advantage of the fact that there aren't any others available and they're forced to buy the secondhand one, so if there are others available new then nobody is being forced to buy the used one.  Even if there were no others available, any item is only worth what the market will pay.  I'll bet if you had something rare that was from an expensive car you wouldn't give it away for a fraction of its value.

Message 8 of 22
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

@6345.xsnrgy wrote:

So, you did the research, but you assume everyone else is an idiot.

Surely it's not a rip off if it can be researched and bought cheaper elsewhere.

Have you checked how long the expensive seller has had it advertised for?

It may have been getting re-listed for a year or more - anyone who restores cars

will know if it's overpriced or not.

Message 9 of 22
Latest reply

My pet hate is when sellers describe something as 'rare'....and it isn't.

If there's 10 of them for sale on eBay then they are not rare. 

If there's 5 of them for sale I don't think they are particularly rare either.

I've seen some items described as rare on eBay for years and years at the same inflated prices...while the seller's rivals undercut them selling something identical at much lower prices.

Still, I suppose you have to admire their optimism.

Message 10 of 22
Latest reply