Hi all, aren't you annoyed at sellers who constantly rip people off?

I was browsing Ebay and saw a tail lamp for a "car", the vehicle is not important other than the seller is basing its price on the cars exotic type.

Now the seller wants around AU $1700 for ONE USED tail lamp.

I checked on a website for the price of a  NEW GENUINE part - you can buy a PAIR of tail lamps, NEW-GENUINE, for only AU$1600.

How do these theiving scum get away with this?

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

It's even sillier when the seller describing the items as "rare" is selling several of the same item themselves.
Message 11 of 22
Latest reply

There is rare and then there is rare as hens teeth.

Years ago my daughter had a top of the range hyundai, not even rare, but a replacement tail light assembly was  $700.

I managed to buy a complete car  for spare parts, for her for $600 (Non Runner).  Later on she did some damage to the front end

and I was able to sell parts to the insurance company to have it repaired.

Message 12 of 22
Latest reply

@wide-world-of-stamps wrote:
It's even sillier when the seller describing the items as "rare" is selling several of the same item themselves.

I have multiple copies of some books that could certainly be considered rare. If there are only 10 for sale in the world, the fact I have 2 of them doesn't change the rarity.

Message 13 of 22
Latest reply

I don't have the rare books that I'd love to have... but in their case the rarity makes them unaffordable unless I locate a billionaire and ransom him, rob him, or marry him.

Message 14 of 22
Latest reply

Mine are in the hundreds, not like the ones you want.

All 3?

Message 15 of 22
Latest reply

All three would probably be tripling the work for the same result as one approach.

Message 16 of 22
Latest reply

OK, I take your point.

However, I'm talking from the point of view of stamps, some of which are very common, with the seller having 10 or 20 of them listed.

Some sellers also say "very old", and I assume they themselves are quite young as the "very old" items are younger than me!
Message 17 of 22
Latest reply

Guess that's me then...........Had a funny one in the last couple of weeks. I found a " RARE " vintage tool at a garage sale for $30. I had never seen one and did some google searches and could only find one picture and a couple of references to the tool on the Internet. I listed it on ebay for $130 Extolling the "RARE " virtues of it. It sold within a few hours to a collector who had been chasing one, but had never seen one offered for sale........All good.

The next week I was at a market and begger me, there was another one.... Same brand, different model. I nearly had an accident running to get it and paid $15 for this one.  Again I listed it for $130 . The same buyer purchased this one within a few hours of listing........... RARE.... Dunno, but neither of us had ever seen one and then two in a week...??? .What are the odds of that ?

Message 18 of 22
Latest reply

The universe works in amazing and mysterious ways, chameleon. Odds don't make much sense when some things happen; it's a conundrum wrapped up in a salami.

Message 19 of 22
Latest reply

I didn't mean to offend or upset anyone with this comment.

The word "several" wasn't meant to refer to 2 or 3 of the same item, but upwards of 5 (even 10-20), and also aimed at items being sold by quite a few other sellers, often in better condition.

Some people think that just because a stamp is old (or older than them), or they themselves haven't seen it before, it has to be worth a lot of money.

We wish 😄

Message 20 of 22
Latest reply