Hi all, aren't you annoyed at sellers who constantly rip people off?

I was browsing Ebay and saw a tail lamp for a "car", the vehicle is not important other than the seller is basing its price on the cars exotic type.

Now the seller wants around AU $1700 for ONE USED tail lamp.

I checked on a website for the price of a  NEW GENUINE part - you can buy a PAIR of tail lamps, NEW-GENUINE, for only AU$1600.

How do these theiving scum get away with this?

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

@countessalmirena wrote:

The universe works in amazing and mysterious ways, chameleon. Odds don't make much sense when some things happen; it's a conundrum wrapped up in a salami.

I had another strange conundrum wrapped in a salami early in the year. I had spent some time one evening going through worldwide sold listings for rare tools using ebay advance search. I do this from time to time to learn more about the value of stuff and to keep an eye on what's selling.

I noticed a " rare " round shaped German tool box complete with tools that had sold for nearly $2000 at auction. After some further Google research I worked out it fitted inside the spare wheel of very early VW Beetles ( highly collectable ) and early Porsche & Mercedes sports cars.

I went to a clearing sale of a country garage that had shut down a few days later and outside a shed in a pile of rubbish and scrap metal was one of the tool boxes ( minus tools unfortunately. ) in excellent condition. I purchased the pile of scrap for $10, listed the tool box on ebay when I got home and sold it that night for $250 to an American buyer.

Havnt seen another one since..........

I have to admit I find that one almost a bit spooky.......

Message 21 of 22
Latest reply

@countessalmirena wrote:

I don't have the rare books that I'd love to have... but in their case the rarity makes them unaffordable unless I locate a billionaire and ransom him, rob him, or marry him.

I used to collect rare books...... before the kids grew up and started costing me every cent I could muster....Smiley Wink

Anyway my specialty was early Australian art and Australian explorers. I had read a book from the 1930's that mentioned a " rare " South Australian art book. It was titled " the Wild Flowers of South Australia " and contained 20 hand painted, gold leaf lithographs and was the first wildflower book published in the state. The reference stated that few where known to have survived and the state library had one copy.

I made it my mission to add a copy to my collection and contacted all of the well known book dealers to be notified if they received a copy.

Nothing for months until one day I went to a fine art auction in the city chasing a rare map. I missed out on the map to a well known Adelaide antiques dealer. After the auction I had a coffee with him and he mentioned he was dispersing some of his private collection and had something I might like. It was the Wildflower book. I hadn't originally contacted him, so it was pure chance he offered me the book. I had to pay pretty well for the book but still have it, to be passed onto my daughter when I croak it. 

Anyway another conundrum wrapped in salami......

Message 22 of 22
Latest reply