How do I find sellers that do not use australia post?

iktbay
Community Member

Hi,

I do not want to use Australia Post for non-delivery of anything ever again. The hour and a half I would need to spend collecting a parcel is costs me 3 times more than the item. Australia post never deliver parcels, only cards in your mailbox. 

I recently had a good experience with fast-away couriers. Is there some way I can filter or search for sellers who do not use Australia Post? Or, are sellers generally willing to negotiate price for an alternative delivery method?

If there is no way to purchase items on ebay without using Australia Post, then I guess I will just need to buy on Amazon, who DO actually deliver your items.

Thanks and regards,

iktbay

Message 1 of 68
Latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

Re: How do I find sellers that do not use australia post?

So your other cohabituees are always home? Then you might have a case. But this is a recent development. Thread-wise.

Message 31 of 68
Latest reply

To summarise:

jensmanchester suggested an Australia Post locker, which I researched but unfortunately does not allow delivery of receipted delivery items. The customer service operator also informed me that lockers are not carded for receipted delivery items.

howie696 suggested a PO Box, but has not responded on how that helps with receipted delivery items. I have no trouble receiving parcel cards in my own mailbox, so I am not sure how a PO Box would help.

tej8128 suggested to 'Stop paying for signature on delivery' which sounds like an excellent idea, except that I have no idea how to achieve it. When I purchased the item in question I was not presented with a form with options to change the delivery method (i.e. to send unregistered or uninsured). If there is a way to do this, I am all ears.

I think that pretty much sums it up.

Message 32 of 68
Latest reply

They are home at the time it states on the card. You do realize that the card contains a time 'We attempted to deliver', right? I have confirmed with my co-habitees that they were home at the time stated on the card. The last three cards had a fictious item number, so perhaps the delivery time was fictious also. As to whether my co-habitees are always home, I think that is none of your business.

Message 33 of 68
Latest reply

I'm not the one ranting. Nor adding 'information' as the original premise is progressively shot down.

Fortunately, as I only use AP for my postage, I will never have to deal with your issues.

Message 34 of 68
Latest reply

One more thing I was going to add to the summary.

I spoke to a colleague at work today who regularly sells items on e-bay. He is not a merchant, but a regular seller. He was telling me that the changes to the feedback system that e-bay made recently have so skewed it in favour of the buyer that pretty much all sellers will only post receipted now. So, believe me, I understand WHY sellers now all use receipted delivery, my question is only how I can find sellers who do not use Australia Post.

Message 35 of 68
Latest reply

@iktbay wrote:

They are home at the time it states on the card. You do realize that the card contains a time 'We attempted to deliver', right? I have confirmed with my co-habitees that they were home at the time stated on the card. The last three cards had a fictious item number, so perhaps the delivery time was fictious also. As to whether my co-habitees are always home, I think that is none of your business.

Assumptions were made, aye, but it was kind of a reasonable one to make re: no one being home, as back in post #5 you said "Regardless of whether I am home or not, Australia Post leaves a card in my mailbox." Most people would use the word "someone" rather than "I" if there were other people than themselves available to accept delivery. 

To be clear, however, I'm not trying to pick apart what you're saying, just pointing out the different impressions given by using one word over another.

All that being said, it's apparent that this is a problem with Australia Post, so your only real options are to talk to them and either find out why domestic parcels are always carded no matter what, and to see if it can be changed, or...while you can't filter out sellers using AP to deliver items, you can at least check to see if they are using couriers, often indicated in the postage & payments tab, or listing description. Obviously option B is not ideal, but it's pretty much the only way you can currently vet sellers on the basis of postage methods.

Edit: The only other alternative is to sort results by price + postage. Sellers that select "Freight" won't have a stated postage cost and will always be on the last page(s).

Message 36 of 68
Latest reply

As to why you would consider it fortunate that you have no buyers for the items you are selling, I won't pretend I understand it, but if it works for you, more power to ya.

Message 37 of 68
Latest reply

I have heaps of buyers for my items. For me, anyway. December, with a week and a half to go, is a record already. But they don't block AP postage. Which is why I have heaps of buyers.

My, and probably other's, issues are with you changing your story as time goes on.

It's irrelevant. I can guarantee, even if you decide to buy from a seller who uses AP, that you will not be buying from me. In any of my incarnations.

Message 38 of 68
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

@iktbay wrote:

Assumptions were made, aye, but it was kind of a reasonable one to make re: no one being home, as back in post #5 you said "Regardless of whether I am home or not, Australia Post leaves a card in my mailbox." Most people would use the word "someone" rather than "I" if there were other people than themselves available to accept delivery. 

To be clear, however, I'm not trying to pick apart what you're saying, just pointing out the different impressions given by using one word over another.

All that being said, it's apparent that this is a problem with Australia Post, so your only real options are to talk to them and either find out why domestic parcels are always carded no matter what, and to see if it can be changed, or...while you can't filter out sellers using AP to deliver items, you can at least check to see if they are using couriers, often indicated in the postage & payments tab, or listing description. Obviously option B is not ideal, but it's pretty much the only way you can currently vet sellers on the basis of postage methods.

You are right of course, I can see how the assumption was made now. I am usually a very private person, and sometimes I use the the personal pronoun as a synonym for "me and my extended family". Apologies to dave for my poor semantics. 

As for talking to AP, well, I have tried this in the past, to no effect. Some years ago I lived in a building that was notorious for non-delivery of parcels. I once observed the contractor pull up to the mailboxes at 6PM and card my box. I did not make it down the stairs before he was in the van and on his way. When I looked at the card, he had written 4:30PM as the attempted delivery time. I complained. Everyone I knew in the building had complained to AP at one point, yet nothing was done. I guess I could attempt it again, however you can no longer call your local post office directly, only the call centre, where your 'feedback' disappears into the ether never to be seen again.

As I stated in an earlier post, I found out today the reason for the change in most sellers delivery terms. It is unfortunate, but there is apparently nothing that can be done about it (if this thread is any guide).

Message 39 of 68
Latest reply

I am sure I will get such success. Although I am willing to place a bet as to what that success is.

Message 40 of 68
Latest reply