How pathetic to see a store auctioning off a bottle of Isocol. Preying on fear shouldn't be allowed

An item that normally retails for about $10 is being used to generate profit through fear. Morally bankrupt. It is usually referred to as profiteering and one of the lowest human acts.

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

How pathetic to see a store auctioning off a bottle of Isocol. Preying on fear shouldn't be allowed

Have you bothered to report it?

Have you contacted the seller and told them?

Have you contacted eBay and told  them?

Three no's, I am guessing 

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

Simply go to the shop and buy it.

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

IT'S NOT PROFITEERING IF NO-ONE BUYS IT

And sensible people would stop bidding at $10

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

Most of these listings don't sell.

They get other accounts to bid in hope to hook someone.

Then they need to pay fees. (fixing their smartalec little red wagons)

image host
Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

Actually 3 yeses.... but thank you for targeting me rather than commenting on the problem.

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

unfortunately on the one I saw it was way over that and people were bidding. It's just a sad situation.

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

Instead of complaining try reporting the listings instead so that they get removed.

Report them via the Report item link that's above the item number.

Then use the drop down boxes Listing practices > Fraudulent listing activities > You suspect that a listing is

fraudulent.

Just ignore what it says underneath the box and click on the Submit report.

Just make certain you only report the profiteers that use the auction format as there are geneuine sellers

on here who use the BIN system.

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

@jahnubydesign wrote:

unfortunately on the one I saw it was way over that and people were bidding. It's just a sad situation.

No, it's not. 99.9% of those listings that go beserk, the buyer won't pay. People are having fun pushing up the price, so the seller thinks they are on a winner. Then they don't pay. They never had any intention of paying. They create new accounts so if they get an unpaid strike, it's no big issue.

Most sellers of these items don't know to cancel the transaction when buyers don't pay. People will keep bidding and not pay. They get a nasty surprise when they  get their invoice for the month.

Regardless of what you see with inflated auctions, the sales don't go ahead. 

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

It's happening on quite a few items but I believe there is a tab where you can report an ad if you think it is price gouging. Although maybe with auctions that doesn't apply as it is buyers who have pushed up the price.

I think part of the problem could be that a lot of buyers, if they can't find an item such as hand sanitiser or masks in a store, may not be aware of exactly what the normal price is, so it may go for a bit over RRP. People on the other hand are much more familiar with the usual cost of something like toilet paper, flour etc

If an item goes for some insane price eg toilet paper for $1000, then I agree with whoever said it is bidders with no intention of paying.

But you're right in that excessive profiteering is a bit of a low act.

PS I think, from all i have read, that ebay is trying to address the problem. Pretty sure i read, for example, that a lot of hand sanitiser ads were deleted. But I guess this is a new situation for them too, so they are having to make up new policies as things evolve.

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply