Moral and Ethical Position required by EBay for unsavoury selling practices eg PlayStation5

Like many people I am dismayed by the PlayStation 5 situation - we can't buy them at retail from stores but can buy one straight away on eBay with 100% markup.

I read the latest statement by eBay on this which in a nutshell was 'the practice is not illegal so while a market exists we will support it' however I feel that while this may be true legally a moral position needs to be taken to outlaw any selling practice which is taking advantage of a bad situation eg hand sanitizer and toilet paper during the pandemic - this is exactly the same. Limiting units isn't doing anything, just saw a seller who has moved 233 units!!!

Companies are aligning with causes all of the time, taking ethical positions now which in turn garners them support by the community. I would like eBay to make a stand, say we do not support this scalping/pirate like behaviour from our sellers and outlaw the sale of any new PS5 units until demand is met by traditional retailers.

By turning a blind eye you compromise values for a few dollars and are just enabling the situation, making you part of the problem - you have a chance to be part of the solution. Consumers around the world will rejoice if you do. 

Hoping other community members can rally behind this and send a strong message that this is not okay any longer.

Message 4 of 21
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Moral and Ethical Position required by EBay for unsavoury selling practices eg PlayStation5

@rachaebraddoc_0 wrote:

There are no deals though....resellers bots snap up all available stock and then they list all of the units on eBay, Gumtree and FB all at roughly the same extraordinary markup. I have been trying to get hold of one at a fair price for two years without luck so decided something had to change.

There's your problem, right there.

I agree with you that it is not a particularly ethical business model but it is not being fuelled by ebay or gumtree or FB.

I am sick to death of hearing covid blamed for everything.  I could not give a toss if covid slowed down the release or distribution of the game or whatever. The fact remains that if the manufacturers wished to, they could pretty easily rearrange how they distributed the games. There are ways and means they could have made it much more difficult for resellers to snap up hundreds of units while normal citizens missed out.

But they didn't, did they!

I'd say they love doing it this way because of the image it gives their product, it makes their product look more desirable and gives them publicity.

Just think back to a couple of years ago when Coles released a range of 'little things', and people went mad over them. There was a cheap plastic display case you could buy to store them in, $4 it was. Only they ran out almost immediately.  I saw them coming on to ebay. At first they were $30 each, then $40 or $50 and at the height, I saw one go for $120. The empty case alone and it didn't include postage.  Was it a rip off? I believe people were stupid but some of these were auctions and you can't stop people being stupid.

Ask yourself this though-do you think anyone would pay $120 today? I doubt it. It isn't as if you can get replacements now, it is still a limited line, just as 'rare' as it was back then, but the mental frenzy has passed.

You are asking ebay to stop price gouging. But the problem with that is at what stage does it pass from acceptable profit margin to gouging? I believe ebay couldn't make that call even with medical or necessary type supplies such as face masks or hand sanitiser and the only way around it was to stop everyone from selling it except if they were some sort of authorised seller.

You are talking though about something that isn't a necessity, it is just a 'desirable', rather like the Little Things & their cases were at the time. 

If you want to start a complaint or whatever, you need to get at the root cause.

Gutterpunkz said: Complain to the manufacturers, regarding their release and marketing strategies that are designed to create demand.

It is not an ebay problem or responsibility.

So there you have it. Ebay is just a selling platform. None of these companies are ethical as such, they are in it for profit. You said Companies are aligning with causes all of the time, taking ethical positions now which in turn garners them support by the community.

That's just to make themselves look good, it's all about image. If you want to tarnish an image, you need to campaign to zero in on the manufacturers, make them embarrassed. Not ebay, not FB etc

View solution in original post

Message 19 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Like many people I am dismayed by the PlayStation 5 situation - we can't buy them at retail from stores but can buy one straight away on eBay with 100% markup.

I read the latest statement by eBay on this which in a nutshell was 'the practice is not illegal so while a market exists we will support it' however I feel that while this may be true legally a moral position needs to be taken to outlaw any selling practice which is taking advantage of a bad situation eg hand sanitizer and toilet paper during the pandemic - this is exactly the same. Limiting units isn't doing anything, just saw a seller who has moved 233 units!!!

Companies are aligning with causes all of the time, taking ethical positions now which in turn garners them support by the community. I would like eBay to make a stand, say we do not support this scalping/pirate like behaviour from our sellers and outlaw the sale of any new PS5 units until demand is met by traditional retailers.

By turning a blind eye you and compromise values for a few dollars is just enabling the situation, and makes you part of the problem - you have a chance to be part of the solution. Consumers around the world will rejoice. 

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply

Have you told eBay this?

This is a member to member forum, not read by anyone from eBay

Message 2 of 21
Latest reply

Not directly as they are aware of the situation and the statement was made to a media outlet who contacted them for comment specifically about PS5. Hoping that it gains enough community support to not be ignored.
Message 3 of 21
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Sorry but no sympathy here.

If a gamer wants a PS5 then they'll source the best deal.

It's not like the general public needs to be protected because there's a pandemic, and sellers are ripping people off for much needed medical aids.

Message 5 of 21
Latest reply

Thanks for your reply.

There are no deals though....resellers bots snap up all available stock and then they list all of the units on eBay, Gumtree and FB all at roughly the same extraordinary markup. I have been trying to get hold of one at a fair price for two years without luck so decided something had to change.

Sorry that you are unable to support this unless the matter is health based. The principles of a fair market are broader than that though I feel.

Anyhow thanks for your reply.

Message 6 of 21
Latest reply

Nobody would be on Ebay if they weren't selling for profit......I mean isn't that the point?

If people want to keep paying over the odds to get one, that's their problem. Nobody is FORCING anyone to purchase anything at a price they do not like.

PS5's are a discretionary/luxury item, not a necessity. Sony does not tell sellers on Ebay what they can sell for, it's a free market.

You're focussed on the PS5, but there are plenty of other items that have been marked up on Ebay due to supply chain issues.

Message 7 of 21
Latest reply

Thanks also for your reply.

All fair points - I can see this community feels differently to what consumers do then. There is a pretty big gap between the replies I am getting to the anger that exists in the community about this in other online forums, media etc.

Thanks all for your time and all the best.  

Message 8 of 21
Latest reply

We are consumers

Maybe more people here feel 'price gouging' on actual  essentials/ bare necessities  matters far more than a luxury toy. Difference being some things people have to buy to survive not because 'well I want one' 

Some people are strange that way

Sorry if you thought we would all contact eBay and tell them not to allow it

Message 9 of 21
Latest reply

Complain to the manufacturers, regarding their release and marketing strategies that are designed to create demand.

It is not an ebay problem or responsibility,  it is a game for G-d's sake, not a regulated product and absolutely no reason for it to be regulated.

Message 10 of 21
Latest reply