Postage from USA - why so expensive?

I have pretty much given up buying avything from the USA. Are their overseas postage fees really that exhorbitant at the other end? We are talking $25 - $30 for very small packages, compared to around $10 - $15 equivalent delivery method from the UK.

Message 1 of 150
Latest reply
149 REPLIES 149

If the person would just pop it into a postal bag it would cost approx. $ 6.00 for a small item. I have had Lego send that way and it was the easiest, quickest and cheapest method. I cannot under stand why it has to be any other way.

Message 21 of 150
Latest reply

http://www.ebay.com.au/gds/Postage-Avoid-and-Report-Rip-offs-/10000000004038983/g.html 

The above may help, I have also enclosed an attachment that shows that it can be done cheaper  I hope this helps.  

Message 22 of 150
Latest reply

The seller has to post in a way that protects them, $6.00 satchel from US - not likely to cover the paypal protection.

Many sellers in US do use  GSP - if I buy from the States I always contact the seller first (before buying)  and ask if they are willing to send USPS and I pay whatever charge, most agree, but it is the seller's decision and I would never hold a refusal to use USPS against them as they are the one's operating their busness, not me.

Message 23 of 150
Latest reply

It never used to be,  when i first started buying on ebay (10-13 years ago) a parcel with a small item, say a camera lens from the USA was not too bad.  I just posted of a money order or cash in a envolope and they just popped it in the USPS and off it went. (them was the days)    Back then it was postage from UK that was expencive.  now its the other way around.

Message 24 of 150
Latest reply

Online selling never used to exist either. Nor did scammers claiming INR if the item wasn't sent trackable.

You need to work with what is happening now. And 10-13 years ago is several generations on the net.

Message 25 of 150
Latest reply

I paid only $10.00 a short while ago for quite a large parcel sent from US. I was quite surprised how cheap it was.
Message 26 of 150
Latest reply

This new GSP thingy are turning many many international buyer away!
I noticed many seller not knowing they can opt out.
Message 27 of 150
Latest reply

People you think they are getting "ripped off" by US sellers need to look into the ebay global shipping program. It is ebay initiative and is usually the reason postage for products from the US is expensive. The program generally works well but is also horrendously expensive; you can thank eBay for it.

Message 28 of 150
Latest reply

A friend of mine in the US is a long time buyer on eBay, but this year decided to list some home made Christmas cards that she makes. I looked at her listings and nearly threw up! 4 cards for $US12 and $US32.50 to post......in a standard envelope. I sent her a message and told her to opt out of the GSP as she had listed worldwide postage. She had no idea what the GSP even was (this is the first time she has ever listed anything)!!

I told her I had no idea where to find the opt out section as we don't have it, but she should be able to find out by looking in the help pages, or getting onto the US forums. It must have scared her as i just checked her page and all her listings have been ended. It was suggested by others to list them on Etsy, so maybe she opted for that instead of opting out of the GSP.

For large, bulky items, the GSP is usually far cheaper than USPS and usually much quicker. Small items, forget it!

Message 29 of 150
Latest reply

ebay.com (US site)
My eBay > Account > Site preferences > Shipping preferences > Offer the Global Shipping Program > edit > no

ebay.co.uk
My eBay > Account > Site preferences > Postage and packaging preferences > Offer the Global Shipping Programme > edit > no

Message 30 of 150
Latest reply