Return policy Sellers terms say they take off the cost of their postage

I have initiated a return, the seller is ignoring me

I notice that in their return policy it says 

"Return postage will be paid by the buyer if it's found that the item's description was described accurately on eBay. In this case, refund will include the original price of the item, minus the cost to post the item by the seller."

It was listed as free postage Are they allowed to take their postage price off my purchase price?

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 41
Latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

Re: Return policy Sellers terms say they take off the cost of their postage

@phill.as wrote:

Thanks everyone, funny how things work out. We have been away and it was our housemate who said the package that arrived was a small satchel and therefore held the mini version

Upon returning home today we have opened it and its damaged, was in the satchel with no bubble wrap so Paypal can take it from here with an SNAD caim 

How awfully convenient. 😮

I'm sure you can understand why that seems a little suspect. You may be telling the truth, and obviously no one here has any way to tell for sure so I'm not about to suggest one way or another what the truth is, but you should know if the forum has their doubts, so will seller, and there are plenty of options available to sellers when dealing with such things, even if a PayPal claim is initially found in the buyer's favour. 

Message 21 of 41
Latest reply

restocking fee can only be don eif listed that way in the first place. Otherwize seller has no mechanism to apply it. payapl refund would then be all or nothing.

I just absorb it, otherwise buyers damage an item and claim SNAD, which then turns out a bigger loss.

This restocking fee issue is one of the hurdles that puts sellers off using free post, otherwise they have these issues or absorb a loss.

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 22 of 41
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

Funny how a change of mind has now turned into an NAD since the OP realised they have to pay the postage costs both ways. I also don't think the OP understands that there is nowhere in this country where you can send something for free. Saying something is free postage doesn't mean no-one is paying for it. Would it still be an issue if the item was $11 with $8.99 postage? You'd still only be getting the $11 back regardless.

At least opening the return dispute via PayPal, the OP still has to pay the postage costs, so it all kind of backfired really.

Unfortunately Tippy the OP will surely be elligible for paypal to pay the return postage now that it is a SNAD dispute.   It was always going to be debatable whether paypal would pay for a change of mind claim, although I thought it better not to throw that into the mix at the beginning of the discussion.

I do hope the seller has seen this thread before she is hit with the dispute.   Hopefully she can make it difficult for the OP to rip her off.

Message 23 of 41
Latest reply

@phill.as wrote:

Thanks everyone, funny how things work out. We have been away and it was our housemate who said the package that arrived was a small satchel and therefore held the mini version

Upon returning home today we have opened it and its damaged, was in the satchel with no bubble wrap so Paypal can take it from here with an SNAD caim 

Very interesting.....you initiate a return request without even opening the parcel....or even seeing it.  This whole thread stinks on so many levels.

Interesting to know that sellers can take off postage prices from free postage though

You just don't get it do you?   Postage is not free to the seller....they had to pay for it.

have a great week 

Message 24 of 41
Latest reply

@lane-ends wrote:

restocking fee can only be don eif listed that way in the first place. Otherwize seller has no mechanism to apply it. payapl refund would then be all or nothing.

I just absorb it, otherwise buyers damage an item and claim SNAD, which then turns out a bigger loss.

This restocking fee issue is one of the hurdles that puts sellers off using free post, otherwise they have these issues or absorb a loss.

A restocking fee can be applied regardless of the listing set-up, it's just a little more convoluted if the seller doesn't implement eBay's option to facilitate it, especially when formal requests are made for COM returns (eBay have acknowledged that a seller's terms such as these remain valid and applicable, despite not have the restocking fee feature implemented, and have advised sellers in the past to do a manual refund, however if the item has been received back the seller should be able to offer a partial refund for the buyer to accept - it would take communicating with the buyer and having a level of understanding / trust with them, of course).

Agree, though, it would have been much better to have the feature implemented - and just one of the many reasons I won't do free post.

Better still, how wonderful would it be if sellers didn't have to worry about "buyers" who would think it's ok to commit fraud just because they don't like paying a few dollars for their own mistakes. 

Message 25 of 41
Latest reply

@curraone wrote:

I reckon that's one for the party list.  

Some days I only browse these boards for party goers 😉

There seems to be no shortage on eBay these days.

Message 26 of 41
Latest reply

There's a humdinger of a party happening at the moment. There are so many invitees that I think we're going to have to hire a bigger marquee!

Message 27 of 41
Latest reply

I was not expecting this extra condition on ebay so I becasme a victim.  I want to return an item, one of two, that was not as described. I am obliged by the seller to pay postage, and this one a 15% reshelving fee.  The seller can put what ever charges they like on ebay presented items, but is it in line with ebay's policy?

What will happen, of course, the buyer will ignore this buyer in the future.  Unfortunately, I have 4 return disputes going at the mement, never before  have I had so much problems...China is hard to deal with, worse that before.

Message 28 of 41
Latest reply

I made a few mistakes in the fisrt post, sorry  :

I said "what will  happen...The buyer will ignore this buyer....I meant this seller.

Mememt is Moment.

I am a bit ill and upset so I apologise for my poor posting.

Message 29 of 41
Latest reply

If the return is for not as described then the seller pays the return postage cost. The restocking fee is for change of mind returns, it doesn't apply for not as described.

4 disputes open at the moment? Sounds like you really need to stop buying from China. Do you contact any of the sellers first to try to resolve the problem, or do you just open a dispute and use the red and grey buttons?

Message 30 of 41
Latest reply