SCAM alert - Sellers posting Kmart items at inflated prices

People,

I got scammed - I purchased a hallway table with free delivery for $65. Yesterday I received a parcel FROM  KMART directly, it was this table. I go and check the Kmart website - the item is for sale online for $30.

This is it: http://www.kmart.com.au/product/black-hallway-table/124214

The seller didn't even bother to have the goods delivered to himself and then to me - shameless scammer.

Since the overall damage is just $25 (Kmart delivery fee is $10), I reported the seller to eBay and I left negative feedback.

While for electronics it is easier to check pricing online, for furniture it is much more complex.

Note that a lot of people are selling the exact same item for hugely inflated prices ($65 was the cheapest on eBay when I bought it). I am sure they are playing the same game with a lot of other stuff.

Message 1 of 130
Latest reply
129 REPLIES 129

Re: SCAM alert - Sellers posting Kmart items at inflated prices

Genius, next time I will call you to search each and every online shop online for days before buying anything... Your lesson should be try to use your brain, if you have one.

Totally uncalled for. It's YOU that missed the point there.

Only $25 to learn to not buy furniture on eBay (as you said), very cheap. (Just like your comment).

Disgraceful behaviour.

image host
Message 31 of 130
Latest reply

@fcosenti wrote:

Don't worry, I am not buying any furniture ever again on eBay. Nor anything that can be found in real shops in Australia. Problem solved.

Well, golly.

There you go.

Problem solved, go shopping, on your feet.

Might have to shower, dress & actually go out, into that big shopping world.

Do it, may give you a better grip on the world you live in.

Research, entrepeneur, my KUDOS, to the seller.

Message 32 of 130
Latest reply

@fcosenti wrote:

Genius, next time I will call you to search each and every online shop online for days before buying anything... Your lesson should be try to use your brain, if you have one.

Not only are you incapable of not leaving home, you accuse others of not being in posession of ' a brain '.

You are oe of the reasons, I don't go out much.

Message 33 of 130
Latest reply

@fcosenti wrote:

The seller was malicious and dishonest. He knew that I could have walked into a Kmart and purchased.

Begs the question, why didn't you get off your tushy.

Message 34 of 130
Latest reply

cezm
Community Member

Scam accusations aside, I appreciate the heads up.

I have been looking for a particular item for a while and discovered that generally price was an indication of quality for the item.

I had put a few on my watch list (and bookmarked a few on other sites) and set a limit of $70.

Now I discover that one of the items listed at close to that price is from KMart, at twice the price I can buy it online from KMart. I hadn't looked on the KMart website before because I knew the quality of their items in this line was not as good and therefore not what I wanted.

So close to being caught out even after 3 weeks of research. Yes, I did plenty of research. No I didn't research cheaper brands because I didn't want a cheaper brand.

Re dropshipping - I thought sellers were supposed to declare if they were dropshipping - maybe that was in times gone by or on another site but it would seem to me to be the honest thing to do.

Message 35 of 130
Latest reply

@cezm wrote:

Re dropshipping - I thought sellers were supposed to declare if they were dropshipping - maybe that was in times gone by or on another site but it would seem to me to be the honest thing to do.

not sure that sellers have to declare that they are dropshipping, but they are not to misrepresent the item location.  The seller that is the subject of this thread has the location of their items as 'Multiple locations, Australia'

No misrepresention in that.

Message 36 of 130
Latest reply

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

You say they haven't value added . . . . . but you are hurting because you genuinely feel you got scammed. However, had you spent just thirty seconds before hitting the buy-now button looking at the seller's feedback you would have seen a neg less than one month ago saying, wait for it, that the seller sold an item for $35 that was available for $9 from, wait for it, Kmart Smiley Surprised Smiley Surprised Smiley Surprised

just wanted to add to this earlier post of mine.

After I saw the previous neg for the seller I stopped looking at the seller feedback as that was enough info for me to post to make my point i.e. Buyers should carefully study the feedback of sellers before buying.

After subsequent posts I went back to the seller feedback to see that I had not misread the feedback, and decided to look at the 6 neutral feedback.  In that feedback are some for seller cancelling due to items not being available and some for the seller selling Kmart items at inflated prices.

eBay gives buyers the tools needed to avoid situations that the buyer found themselves in i.e that being seller feedback being freely available for all to see before buying.

Had the OP even taken a cursory glance at the non-positive feedbacks that the seller has they would have easily seen that the seller was onselling Kmart items and then made the decision about whether to buy or not.

Message 37 of 130
Latest reply

Oooh I'm upset too.

I just got scammed. FRAUD! FRAUD!

Had to put petrol in the car and it was $1.46 a litre. I've been scammed because it was only $1.45 a litre at the servo 200km away and I'm sure they bought that very same petrol for $1.30 a litre. Sure I'm 2000km from Brisbane and they had to truck it here but it's totally a scam.

I'm on hold to the ACCC now. They'll totally help.

At least this has been a good read. I'm out of popcorn though.
Message 38 of 130
Latest reply

I agree that if i bought something on ebay, I would be really miffed if i found that it arrived from K mart and all the seller had done was take my order and order it from k mart directly & have it delivered to my address. It's a bit cheeky in my opinion.

I understand people go to wholesalers and so on, but I don't consider K mart a wholesaler. If soemone bought an item at k mart & later resold it, that is different. But to advertise an item on ebay that is directly available to anyone on the K mart website is a bit off.

And it would turn me off buying furniture items on ebay too.

But here's the good news. A quick olook at the K mart website might lead you to think delvery cost with K mart is $10-$16. Not so.

read the fine print. Furniture is dearer.

You won't know the cost till you go to checkout.

Just for interest, i put in my postcode. I am in metropolitan Melbourne. I am not in any remote location, I am close to K mart shops.

Postage to me would cost $20.25. I presume it would cost more to country or remote locations.

So altogether that table would be $50.25 to me & no doubt more for a lot of others.

So you lost out but maybe not by as much as you initially thought.

Message 39 of 130
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

But here's the good news. A quick olook at the K mart website might lead you to think delvery cost with K mart is $10-$16. Not so.

read the fine print. Furniture is dearer.

You won't know the cost till you go to checkout.

Just for interest, i put in my postcode. I am in metropolitan Melbourne. I am not in any remote location, I am close to K mart shops.

Postage to me would cost $20.25. I presume it would cost more to country or remote locations.

So altogether that table would be $50.25 to me & no doubt more for a lot of others.

So you lost out but maybe not by as much as you initially thought.

add to this $50.25 the eBay fees, PayPal fee, taxes and other associated costs and I'm pretty sure we won't be seeing the seller make the Top 100 Rich List in Australia this year.

Depending on where the buyer is located, the seller might not make any profit.  So much for malicious, dishonest and deceptive conduct.

edit: shipping to me in N-W Victoria is $22.58, making the total $52.28

Message 40 of 130
Latest reply