Seller boosts prices when vouchers start

An Item was increased in price $10 at the same time that an eBay $20 (off $100 minimum spend) voucher was offered. Seller covered his part of the discount with a price increase, so actually gave no discount. This is sharp practice, illegal in normal retail trade. I unfortunately fell for it and bought it, then saw that his feedback showed others paid $10 less before voucher started. What can one do about this?

Message 1 of 47
Latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Re: Seller boosts prices when vouchers start

I don't use a lot of vouchers, only the very best ones, so perhaps they send me the better ones to try and encourage me. I haven't got notifications ticked on my buying ID so perhaps I'm missing out on vouchers there too.

Sometimes I wonder how they decide who gets them. I used to think it was a reward for good sellers but lyndal gets them and doesn't sell so it can't be that. Maybe they reward good buyers as well as good sellers (good meaning lots).

I've never had one for my birthday, or not that I can remember. Maybe they know I don't celebrate birthdays.
Message 41 of 47
Latest reply

dave, 10% off is okay if you're wanting to buy something a bit more expensive. If I spend $200 I still only get $20 off, but with 10%, the more you spend the more you get off.

Because I sell in categories that charge 9.5% fvf's for a basic store I really appreciate any vouchers I get!
Message 42 of 47
Latest reply

I don't get many vouchers. Never had them for my birthday. Most of the discounts I get are ones that are across the board. This non active account often gets the sell 10 items for free invitation. Obviously they're pushing me to sell on that one too. I've got 3 active accounts, that's enough. 

Message 43 of 47
Latest reply

In the OP`s case the seller got the voucher (discount), not the buyer, even though the discount was intended for the buyer. Seller is a robber. Thats all there is to it. Neg and move on, too easy !

Message 44 of 47
Latest reply

But the buyer did get a discount.

Ebay discount was $20, but they say the seller put the price up by $10

They still got a $10 discount

Message 45 of 47
Latest reply

Oh ok, mustnt have read the Opening Post correctly.

Message 46 of 47
Latest reply

there you go.

Message 47 of 47
Latest reply