Seller boosts prices when vouchers start

An Item was increased in price $10 at the same time that an eBay $20 (off $100 minimum spend) voucher was offered. Seller covered his part of the discount with a price increase, so actually gave no discount. This is sharp practice, illegal in normal retail trade. I unfortunately fell for it and bought it, then saw that his feedback showed others paid $10 less before voucher started. What can one do about this?

Message 1 of 47
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

If the seller is a registered Australian business, contact the ACCC and ask them if anything can be done - one seller was fined over $30k for doing something similar. 

It might be a little trickier, because the seller is raising pries and eBay is doing the discounting, but if the discount is exclusive to that store, or a small range of stores (i.e. you can only use the discount with a select few stores), the seller would know beforehand that there will be a discount being offered on all of their goods.  (The aformentioned seller inflated prices, then ran a discount sale themselves, so while the effect is identical, two independent parties are involved so the ACCC might not view the seller's action the same way). 

I don't even see the point of sellers doing this when eBay is providing the voucher, as they get the whole of the asking price in those cases, so the opportunistic grab for an extra few bucks when a voucher is on offer seems pointless. Smiley Frustrated

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 47
Latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Nothing. You bought the item at the advertised price, which you were happy with.

And still got it $10 cheaper than the price you THINK would have been alright.

But, how long ago was the feedback for the SAME item? Cost of living goes up. Nothing except electronics, phones and TVs ever go down. It's called inflation. Like when you get a pay rise, the company has to cover that increased cost somehow. Usually they increase the prices of what they sell. And if they increased the price by $10 and you got $20 off, how did they cover the discount?

I am not sure what the point is of the stuff you included at the bottom of your post . Unless you want us to know that you are paranoid.

Message 2 of 47
Latest reply

Price was the same for months before voucher started, and only changed with voucher. Feedback shows all sales in last month at old price.

My signature relates to other threads, long ago (edited out now). I don't need your comments on that.

Increasing a price then offering a discount and calling it a "sale" is sharp practice. It's illegal normally. I guess the $20 discount work by the seller taking $10 of and eBay covering the other $10.

Message 3 of 47
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Ebay vouchers come out of ebay's pockets, not the sellers.

Seller wasn't offering a discount at all, and is entitled to raise the price of his items

any time he likes.

It may have been coincidental for all you know.

edit: I wondered what Dave was on about.   I don't see siggies - got 'em blocked

Message 4 of 47
Latest reply

It may have been coincidental for all you know.

I doubt it. On sites like ozbargain it's becoming a joke, this sort of thing on eBay.

Message 5 of 47
Latest reply

All I can say is, do your research before buying.

Find the cheapest one, or stop grumbling when you've done no research.

Be grateful you got a voucher.  Not everyone gets them.

Sorry, but JMO

Message 6 of 47
Latest reply

The cheapest price for the item, by 30%, was on Amazon. Jeez can't wait for them to get here
Message 7 of 47
Latest reply

Last month I knew there was an ebay voucher for a measly 5% off - if I bought

from an Aussie seller.

I spent $180 and the voucher disappeared!    I spent 2 days looking for it.

Gave up and paid.     Within an hour the voucher was back.   nerd.gif

I learned a lot of new words that day.   Not all of them for polite company.  bleep.gif

But what ya gunna do?

Like I said, at least you got a voucher.

Message 8 of 47
Latest reply

If the seller is a registered Australian business, contact the ACCC and ask them if anything can be done - one seller was fined over $30k for doing something similar. 

It might be a little trickier, because the seller is raising pries and eBay is doing the discounting, but if the discount is exclusive to that store, or a small range of stores (i.e. you can only use the discount with a select few stores), the seller would know beforehand that there will be a discount being offered on all of their goods.  (The aformentioned seller inflated prices, then ran a discount sale themselves, so while the effect is identical, two independent parties are involved so the ACCC might not view the seller's action the same way). 

I don't even see the point of sellers doing this when eBay is providing the voucher, as they get the whole of the asking price in those cases, so the opportunistic grab for an extra few bucks when a voucher is on offer seems pointless. Smiley Frustrated

Message 9 of 47
Latest reply

@mark.wooba wrote:

Price was the same for months before voucher started, and only changed with voucher. Feedback shows all sales in last month at old price.

My signature relates to other threads, long ago (edited out now). I don't need your comments on that.

Increasing a price then offering a discount and calling it a "sale" is sharp practice. It's illegal normally. I guess the $20 discount work by the seller taking $10 of and eBay covering the other $10.

Then don't include it in your OP. It's not hard. You seem to pride yourself on attention to detail, after all. And you were apprised of it back in early 2015 when you had your last rant.

Message 10 of 47
Latest reply