Seller has just brushed me off

Recently purchased 2 x vintage dishes and paid 2 charges for the postage as seller didn't combine postage.

Received items and they were packed in the same box.  There is a problem with 1 of the items not being in

excellent condition as described.  Contacted the seller and sent pictures of the marks on the dish.  They responded

saying "sorry I didn't notice these marks."   No mention of returning for a refund.  

The other item is ok, therefore only want to return the 1 dish.  

I don't want to pay for the return postage therefore if ebay gets involved will I be able to return just the  1 item. tia.

tip toe through the tulips
Message 1 of 93
Latest reply
92 REPLIES 92

Re: Seller has just brushed me off

@4channel wrote:

You shouldn't have to pay for a seller's stuff up. No way!!!!

Perhaps you can claim this through PayPal. <<< BAD ADVICE!!! IGNORE!!!

OP, this is more misleading advice you can safely ignore. Do not get PayPal involved - it would remove the opportunity to resolve this through eBay first, and they are your best bet.

If somehow you are unsuccessful through eBay, only then do you consider opening a PayPal request.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 51 of 93
Latest reply

I was happy to pay that amount of postage for the dish as it was described as being in excellent condition.  I have bought from other sellers he same vintage dishes that have been described as being  in excellent condition and they have been.  Shiny with minimal if any signs of use.

This dish shows scratches and multiple fine marks to the base and the edges have worn areas.  Have reviewed the pics and the areas with the marks especially the edges aren't in the pic.

tip toe through the tulips
Message 52 of 93
Latest reply

@tazzieterror wrote:
I would simply open the return case and allow It to play out. 

I just thought I would second this advice - this is designed for you to have no out of pocket costs for items that aren't as described, and is there for exactly these kinds of circumstances, where a seller is not willing to account for their errors.

I also just want to mention, for the benefit of those who may be encouraging you to dispute excess postage charges as well...

There is no buyer protection on eBay or through PayPal for postage "overcharge". It's not a thing. Just like there isn't any buyer protection through either entity if you buy a TV, pay $500 for it, then when you get it see there's a retail sticker on it for $399. It might make you feel negative things, but those feelings don't entitle anyone to demand money back.

Message 53 of 93
Latest reply

@tulip*place wrote:

I was happy to pay that amount of postage for the dish as it was described as being in excellent condition.  I have bought from other sellers he same vintage dishes that have been described as being  in excellent condition and they have been.  Shiny with minimal if any signs of use.

This dish shows scratches and multiple fine marks to the base and the edges have worn areas.  Have reviewed the pics and the areas with the marks especially the edges aren't in the pic.

Please be aware that there is an amount of bias on this board and a strong leaning to support the seller by a small clique of people here. Do what you want to but you should remember that the seller did overcharge you on postage it seems and if you are going to be out of pocket by the amount you said, why should you also be out of pocket from the overcharge?

Message 54 of 93
Latest reply

@tulip*place wrote:

Yes exaclty - and that's why eBay has its money-back guarantee, so a buyer is not left out of pocket discovering that a seller can't describe an item accurately or fully.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 55 of 93
Latest reply

@tazzieterror wrote:
I would simply open the return case and allow It to play out. 

@digital*ghost wrote:

I just thought I would second this advice - this is designed for you to have no out of pocket costs for items that aren't as described, and is there for exactly these kinds of circumstances, where a seller is not willing to account for their errors.

I also just want to mention, for the benefit of those who may be encouraging you to dispute excess postage charges as well...

There is no buyer protection on eBay or through PayPal for postage "overcharge". It's not a thing. Just like there isn't any buyer protection through either entity if you buy a TV, pay $500 for it, then when you get it see there's a retail sticker on it for $399. It might make you feel negative things, but those feelings don't entitle anyone to demand money back.

A TV and excess post charges are different things. I for one believe in being straight when dealing with people and if I get back to selling again, I would never pocket $11.50 extra from postage costs. No way. I would be an unfair seller then. There is an issue of morality here! I'm sure you digital_ghost wouldn't skim or make extra money out of a buyer who pays $11.50 more than a $29.00 postage value. would you?

Message 56 of 93
Latest reply

@4channel wrote:

Please be aware that there is an amount of bias on this board and a strong leaning to support the seller by a small clique of people here. Do what you want to but you should remember that the seller did overcharge you on postage it seems and if you are going to be out of pocket by the amount you said, why should you also be out of pocket from the overcharge?

Sometimes it isn't seller bias - please understand that sometimes it comes from a very good understanding of the policies on both sites, and how the dispute systems work.

"Overcharge" is both subjective, and classified as "buyer remorse". You can not dispute on the grounds of buyer remorse, if you do, you risk your claim being denied - please stop giving the OP advice that could compromise their claim.

Edited to add - please also read my previous post, breaking down the costs etc -this is not an $11.50 overcharge

Message 57 of 93
Latest reply

But what would you do digital_ghost? Would you pocket the extra or refund it?

And FYI I don't include you amongst the  few regulars that try to intimidate others. That's why I'm hopeful of a straight answer.

Message 58 of 93
Latest reply

@4channel wrote:

But what would you do digital_ghost? Would you pocket the extra or refund it?

And FYI I don't include you amongst the  few regulars that try to intimidate others. That's why I'm hopeful of a straight answer.

I refund what I can, but it's not as simple as that - my business model is designed specifically around my postage costs and my pricing structure is what allows me to charge $3 for postage on occasions where I actually pay up to ten times that, so my answer of "yes" may satisfy you on a surface level, but it's not any kind of proof that I do the "right" thing and the OP's seller does the "wong" thing, or that I'm somehow ethically better. 

Trust me. 

Message 59 of 93
Latest reply

You seem to have an unreasonable bias against sellers, even those trying to advise the OP of the best way to resolve the situation.

The issue isn't 'overcharged' postage. That stopped being an issue when the OP purchased without checking with the seller what the postage for the 2 items would be.

The issue is using the facilities eBay have put in place to protect buyers, before burning that bridge and moving on to avenues that don't provide the same level of protection, which you keep advising the OP to go to. What you think is fair is irrelevant, what is possible is relevant and what we are trying to advise the OP of. Your fantasy of 'fair' only clouds the issue.

If the OP opens a case for NAD and eBay agrees, the seller will have to pay return postage and refund the OP for the initial transaction. At that point the OP will have one item at the price and postage advertised for that ONE item. Therefore they have not lost anything over simply purchasing that one item in the first place. Therefore there was no overpaid postage. Therefore your entire premise is invalid.

Message 60 of 93
Latest reply