Seller has just brushed me off

Recently purchased 2 x vintage dishes and paid 2 charges for the postage as seller didn't combine postage.

Received items and they were packed in the same box.  There is a problem with 1 of the items not being in

excellent condition as described.  Contacted the seller and sent pictures of the marks on the dish.  They responded

saying "sorry I didn't notice these marks."   No mention of returning for a refund.  

The other item is ok, therefore only want to return the 1 dish.  

I don't want to pay for the return postage therefore if ebay gets involved will I be able to return just the  1 item. tia.

tip toe through the tulips
Message 1 of 93
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yes, it's two seperate purchases despite them being sent together, so if eventually you went through eBay's return process, you'd only be returning the dish in question.

Do keep in mind though that "Excellent condition" doesn't necessarily preclude an item from being marked - if they were being sold as "used" this often allows for some cosmetic blemishes in many categories, unless there was something specifically stating otherwise?

Or are you saying the markings occurred in transit?

Try politely letting the seller know you would like to return the marked dish, and see what they say.

I do have a strong dislike for sellers who won't combine shipping but proceed to pack things into a single shipment regardless.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 93
Latest reply
92 REPLIES 92

Yes, it's two seperate purchases despite them being sent together, so if eventually you went through eBay's return process, you'd only be returning the dish in question.

Do keep in mind though that "Excellent condition" doesn't necessarily preclude an item from being marked - if they were being sold as "used" this often allows for some cosmetic blemishes in many categories, unless there was something specifically stating otherwise?

Or are you saying the markings occurred in transit?

Try politely letting the seller know you would like to return the marked dish, and see what they say.

I do have a strong dislike for sellers who won't combine shipping but proceed to pack things into a single shipment regardless.

Message 2 of 93
Latest reply

Since you paid for them in 2 separate transactions you need to open a dispute with the one that has the marks on it.  If eBay rule that it's "not as described" then the seller has to pay the return postage if they want it back.

Edit. G'day tazzie.............

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 3 of 93
Latest reply

Top 'O th' af'ernoon t'ya, Padi!

Message 4 of 93
Latest reply

Thanks for your replies.  Seller has advised to they will accept return as long as item arrives in the same condition as it left.  Also mentioned their policy is no returns but will make exception for me.   Do I request a return label?

tip toe through the tulips
Message 5 of 93
Latest reply

Thank the seller for dealing with it quickly, and let them know you'll open the return request through eBay now so that everything is handled properly.

Then open the request, and if you judge the item has been described incorrectly, select your return reason as "item not as described.

If the seller accepts this then they're agreeing to cover the return postage costs, and you just follow through with the return as per eBay's process.

Sellers with "no return accepted" are really only refusing change of mind returns, though many do not realise this. eBay's MBG takes precedence.

Message 6 of 93
Latest reply

@tulip*place wrote:

Recently purchased 2 x vintage dishes and paid 2 charges for the postage as seller didn't combine postage.

Received items and they were packed in the same box.  There is a problem with 1 of the items not being in

excellent condition as described.  Contacted the seller and sent pictures of the marks on the dish.  They responded

saying "sorry I didn't notice these marks."   No mention of returning for a refund.  

The other item is ok, therefore only want to return the 1 dish.  

I don't want to pay for the return postage therefore if ebay gets involved will I be able to return just the  1 item. tia.

Hi tulip*place, so what you're saying is that you paid two lots of postage for items that arrived in the same box? Did the seller pack them?

Could I please ask how much each lot of postage was and how much the postage stamp sticker on the box was? Where did it come from?

Message 7 of 93
Latest reply

Give it a rest 4channel.

In this case it is working to the OP's advantage.

If the seller had combined the postage the OP would have had to return both items for a total refund.

Message 8 of 93
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Give it a rest 4channel.

If the seller had combined the postage the OP would have had to return both items for a total refund.

Firstly Lyndal, I'd just like to know. I find it intriguing that the OP gets charged for 2 lots of postage but the items arrive in the same box. How does that happen if the seller has packed the items their self? I want to know if the OP has been charged the right amount for postage. This seems strange.Or did the seller calculate the cost of postage and divide it into two and apply the appropriate amount to each item, or something similar? If so then that's OK. But,  I'd like to know 

And I'd like to think that the OP is going to be refunded for postage both ways. To (partially)  and from! Seller stuffed up.

Message 9 of 93
Latest reply

@4channel wrote:

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Give it a rest 4channel.

Firstly Lyndal, I'd just like to know. I find it intriguing that the OP gets charged for 2 lots of postage but the items arrive in the same box. How does that happen if the seller has packed the items their self? I want to know if the OP has been charged the right amount for postage. This seems strange.Or did the seller calculate the cost of postage and divide it into two and apply the appropriate amount to each item, or something similar? If so then that's OK. But,  I'd like to know 

And I'd like to think that the OP is going to be refunded for postage both ways. To (partially)  and from! Seller stuffed up.

There was a postage charge for each of the items but the seller packed them together, despite combined postage not being offered.

If the OP returns the one item in question and the accepted reason is for it not being as described, they'll receive a refund for the original postage amount paid on that one item, and the return postage will be at the seller's expense (one way or another).

Message 10 of 93
Latest reply