Seller has just brushed me off

Recently purchased 2 x vintage dishes and paid 2 charges for the postage as seller didn't combine postage.

Received items and they were packed in the same box.  There is a problem with 1 of the items not being in

excellent condition as described.  Contacted the seller and sent pictures of the marks on the dish.  They responded

saying "sorry I didn't notice these marks."   No mention of returning for a refund.  

The other item is ok, therefore only want to return the 1 dish.  

I don't want to pay for the return postage therefore if ebay gets involved will I be able to return just the  1 item. tia.

tip toe through the tulips
Message 1 of 93
Latest reply
92 REPLIES 92

I'd just like to find out what the seller was originally doing. Did the seller double charge on postage (More than the postage stamp value) or was the postage correct (Give or take a little) with seller charging around half for each. If the seller was up to something or incompetent ? If so then that's something that needs to be improved. Or was it something the OP did that caused this?

QUOTE: ", they'll receive a refund for the original postage amount paid on that one item, and the return postage will be at the seller's expense (one way or another)"

Well actually there's a couple of ways to look at this. I'll give an example. Once I purchased 2 items from a seller. The original item A was the onlly reason for buying from the seller. I decided to get a travel companion item from the seller to get a bit of value.  This was item B. Well, the item A was blatantly mis-graded. I got a partial refund from the seller for item A. If I had to return item A, the seller should have been liable to refund me on full postage because item A was the sole reason for dealing with him.

Message 11 of 93
Latest reply

I reckon it is better for the seller to send a label (assuming they are in Australia), as then the return postage becomes their cost. 

If they tell you just to send it back, then you're responsible for the tracked postage, and have to work out a way to get THAT cost back from the seller as the original postage only covered transit TO your address.

Don't forget to open a case for Item Not as Described so that everything is formally recorded by Ebay.

Don't just send it back without a case and once you have the tracking number, enter it into the case details.

Message 12 of 93
Latest reply

@4channel wrote:

I'd just like to find out what the seller was originally doing. Did the seller double charge on postage (More than the postage stamp value) or was the postage correct (Give or take a little) with seller charging around half for each. If the seller was up to something or incompetent ? If so then that's something that needs to be improved. Or was it something the OP did that caused this?

OP has already said what happened - read their first sentence again.

QUOTE: ", they'll receive a refund for the original postage amount paid on that one item, and the return postage will be at the seller's expense (one way or another)"

Well actually there's a couple of ways to look at this. I'll give an example. Once I purchased 2 items from a seller. The original item A was the onlly reason for buying from the seller. I decided to get a travel companion item from the seller to get a bit of value.  This was item B. Well, the item A was blatantly mis-graded. I got a partial refund from the seller for item A. If I had to return item A, the seller should have been liable to refund me on full postage because item A was the sole reason for dealing with him.

Cool story, bro 👍

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 13 of 93
Latest reply

@jellybirddesigns wrote:

I reckon it is better for the seller to send a label (assuming they are in Australia), as then the return postage becomes their cost. 

If they tell you just to send it back, then you're responsible for the tracked postage, and have to work out a way to get THAT cost back from the seller as the original postage only covered transit TO your address.

Don't forget to open a case for Item Not as Described so that everything is formally recorded by Ebay.

Don't just send it back without a case and once you have the tracking number, enter it into the case details.

For an INAD case return postage is the seller's responsibility.  Even if the seller can't (or won't) provide a label, the OP can ask eBay to supply one on behalf of the seller. eBay email through a label to print, and charge the seller for it.

When I've had to return items this is how I've done it as it means I'm not chasing eBay (or the seller) to reimburse me for the postage charge.

Message 14 of 93
Latest reply

@tazzieterror wrote:

@4channel wrote:

OP has already said what happened - read their first sentence again.

Cool story, bro 👍

I just want to find out what the seller charged the OP.  Any problem with that?

And real story amigo!

Spoiler
More real than you Smiley Indifferent

Message 15 of 93
Latest reply

The postage charges were $22.00 for the larger dish and $18.50 for the smaller one (this is the one with the issues.)

Total postage paid was $40.50 and the actual cost as per the sticker on the box was $29.00.

I requested a return label from the seller and just received a reply with their address.    Guess they're not wanting to pay

for the return post cost.

As suggested  I will now go through the ebay process..

tip toe through the tulips
Message 16 of 93
Latest reply

@4channel wrote:

I just want to find out what the seller charged the OP.  Any problem with that?

Given your penchant for the conspiratorial, some might conclude the less you're told...the better.

What the seller charged isn't really relevant to the issue at hand - evidently the OP was happy enough to pay it twice.

Message 17 of 93
Latest reply

@tulip*place wrote:

The postage charges were $22.00 for the larger dish and $18.50 for the smaller one (this is the one with the issues.)

Total postage paid was $40.50 and the actual cost as per the sticker on the box was $29.00.

I requested a return label from the seller and just received a reply with their address.    Guess they're not wanting to pay

If they're being stubborn like that, there's a greater than outside chance they'll refuse to accept the official return request through eBay.

If that happens, when it becomes a dispute you can point out to eBay that the seller has already admitted in their message to not noticing the marks on the dish and has also already agreed to the return. eBay should rule in your favour pretty quickly.

Message 18 of 93
Latest reply

@tulip*place wrote:

Hi and thanks for the reply tulip*place. So this seller charged you an extra $11.50 for post. That's a bit of a bum deal!

In all fairness, the seller should refund you $11.50 + a percentage of the $ 29.00 + the return cost + the cost for the inferior / misgraded / damaged item.

Message 19 of 93
Latest reply

@4channel wrote:

Hi and thanks for the reply tulip*place. So this seller charged you an extra $11.50 for post. That's a bit of a bum deal!

In all fairness, the seller should refund you $11.50 + a percentage of the $ 29.00 + the return cost + the cost for the inferior / misgraded / damaged item.

Smiley Surprised Er...nope.

Spoiler

Message 20 of 93
Latest reply