Seller not sending a winning bid item, seller asking for more money.

zorba069
Community Member

After a winning bid and payment can a seller say he made a mistake with the postage he asked for in the ad, I paid what was asked  for and now he is not sending my winning bid item until I pay more money.

Isn't the final bid at the time of the auction finishing binding, can I be asked to pay more especially as he has in his ad has the following "Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing."

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

No, they're not meant to ask for more. If it's the first time they've sold something, I'd probably cut them a bit of slack and pay it, especially if i really wanted that item. If they are an experienced seller, open an item not received dispute as soon as you're allowed. The seller can then opt to send it or ignore the dispute. Either way you'll get your money back at the very least.

Message 2 of 27
Latest reply

Yes if it's a few bucks and a must have item then pay it but be aware if it's the subject of a dispute you'd likely not get refunded the extra postage (as it's not part of the original PayPal transaction). Then I'd be "less than favourable" when leaving feedback and stars for item description, postage cost and seller communication. It is frowned upon to charge extra but it happens.
Message 3 of 27
Latest reply

If you have already paid and the seller refuses to send the item, file an INR case and get your money back. The seller should always foot the bill if they have underestimated the postage costs, it's their fault for not checking the size and weight of the item including packaging.
Message 4 of 27
Latest reply

zorba,

do not allow yourself to be extorted.

When you paid (paypal I hope) you would have received an email from ebay stating something like *estimated delivery day blah blah blah....*

Once that date has passed, open an INR (Item Not Received) case through paypal.

The seller will be made to post your item, or at the very least, you will get  a refund. 

In your Paypal dispute, make comment that seller has tried to extort more postage funds from you after the sale and payment.

These are the sort of sellers that need to be removed from sites like these, and they often prey on new ebayers.

If possible, list the *item number* here. Do not mention the sellers name. You cant do that on the boards here.

cheers
xxj

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 5 of 27
Latest reply

As a seller, I have the very odd 'senior's moment' and manage to stuff up my postage costs.

At no time, ever, would I expect the buyer to have to pay for my mistake.

I cop it sweet and learn from it.

I would assume many other sellers would do the same as me.

Message 6 of 27
Latest reply

Thanks everyone, this guy doesn't want just a few, $ he stuffed up with an auction by starting it at .99 cents +$15 postage, my bid being the one and only bid won it, and now he is asking for another $12, thats a 1200% increase of the purchase price, I know I am getting it cheap but when is a deal a deal, is it after the auction ends and the seller decides that he didn't like the result, so no deal, I put my bid in a long time before it ended and found out a few days later that I won it. 

That is a risk you take when you go to auction, if the seller started the auction at his min price to accept then this wouldn't be an issue, and he clearly states that he is responsible for the listing.

It is in ebay's hands now.

Message 7 of 27
Latest reply

Good luck. Starting an auction at 99 cents is not a good idea. By the sounds of things, it should have started at $12 at the very least.

It is still his mistake, whether it was the auction price or the postage price . 

I along with with many other sellers would never ask for more money and put it down as experience.

I hope it all works out well for you as it should.

please come back here and let us know.

Message 8 of 27
Latest reply

End of the day the seller can refund and not send it.
Message 9 of 27
Latest reply

@zorba069 wrote:

Thanks everyone, this guy doesn't want just a few, $ he stuffed up with an auction by starting it at .99 cents +$15 postage, my bid being the one and only bid won it, and now he is asking for another $12, thats a 1200% increase of the purchase price, I know I am getting it cheap but when is a deal a deal, is it after the auction ends and the seller decides that he didn't like the result, so no deal, I put my bid in a long time before it ended and found out a few days later that I won it. 

That is a risk you take when you go to auction, if the seller started the auction at his min price to accept then this wouldn't be an issue, and he clearly states that he is responsible for the listing.

It is in ebay's hands now.

I can understand a person underquoting postage, I have done it before & we just copped it. But $12 is a big discrepancy.

As a buyer, I wouldn't be happy to pay more, & would not expect to be asked. It's annoying to have your time wasted this way. Sellers should be more careful.

I can see the seller's dilemma though as he has no room to move in this transaction. In my case, we had underquoted and had to move up to the next weight level, which was several more dollars but what happened was it came out of the profit we made on the item. Instead of making about $10 or whatever it was, we only made $4.

Your seller though seems to have made 2 mistakes. Starting an auction at 99c, which means no profit whatsoever. Plus underquoting postage.

If it is genuinely going to cost him an extra $12, that is going to have to come out of his own pocket, there is no profit to take it from.

Personally, if I were the seller, I would cancel the sale. You can't make him sell it or send it. Ebay can't either.

You can ding his stars in feedback but he may think that is well worth it to hold onto his item and not pay $12 for the privilege of sending it. Maybe I am just cynical these days, but that is exactly what i would do too.

Message 10 of 27
Latest reply