Sellers blocking buyers

I have had two sellers block me from buying from them just recently for no apparent reason. Anybody else having the same problem? It would be nice and courteous for the seller to let you know beforehand before you go ahead and try and do a purchase. Not happy.
Message 1 of 34
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sellers blocking buyers

Michelle, if you have been caught on a seller's automatic blocks they cannot lift that block for one buyer.  The seller would have to put you on their exemption list so you could bypass the auto block.

Ebay is correct...it is up to the seller who they block...they can have their automatic blocks in place and/or they can block a specific buyer by adding them to their Blocked Bidders List.

View solution in original post

Message 23 of 34
Latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Sellers blocking buyers

You don't have any unpaid item disputes against your name?

That would be about the only reason I can think of for a seller having you on an automatic block, unless you were trying to buy from overseas and they don't sell to Australia?

Message 2 of 34
Latest reply

Sellers blocking buyers

If a seller has blocked a buyer from purchase manually (that is, put your user ID on their blocked bidder list), I personally wouldn't expect them to message them to say so - it might be informative, but it could be construed other ways, and a seller doesn't really need to explain why they don't wish to deal with someone.

There can be a lot of different reasons why a seller might manually block someone. For example, I sometimes block members after reading what they post in the forums....and I never tell them that I have, though I might occasionally hint at it. 

Message 3 of 34
Latest reply

Sellers blocking buyers

Sellers have a range of options available to automatically block buyers. The two most commonly used are two or more non payment strikes over a set period of time and accounts which have not gone through the phone verification process, but others are also available. . These blocks are the only real protection ebay offers sellers against unscupulous buyers who bid on items, never to make contact again and refuse payment even after going through dispute resolution. The second is unverified zero feedback accounts, set up as second accounts by buyers who have already been blocked. Do you have two or more unpaid strikes against your account ???  .

Message 4 of 34
Latest reply

Sellers blocking buyers

If it is two sellers then chances are you have come up against a sellers automatic block list because of one of the criteria. I have better things to do than spend my time emailing the many buyers who populate my BBL and if they are coming up against an auto block how would I know in advance that they were blocked.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 5 of 34
Latest reply

Sellers blocking buyers

knine-1
Community Member

I have had two sellers block me from buying from them just recently for no apparent reason. Anybody else having the same problem? It would be nice and courteous for the seller to let you know beforehand before you go ahead and try and do a purchase. Not happy.

If you are not happy with eBay's policy to allow sellers to block buyers for no apparant reason without giving notice, you need to take that up with eBay and suggest a change of policy.

Message 6 of 34
Latest reply

Sellers blocking buyers

Some of them get shirty if you ask too many questions, well Im a buyer and that is my perogative to ask questions about an item, postage etc so there. If you cant stand the heat stay out of the kitchen.
Message 7 of 34
Latest reply

Sellers blocking buyers

@michellebartley wrote:
Some of them get shirty if you ask too many questions, well Im a buyer and that is my perogative to ask questions about an item, postage etc so there. If you cant stand the heat stay out of the kitchen.

I guess some people want to stay in the kitchen and keep cookin', but sometimes close the door....

I'm not saying you shouldn't ask questions - asking questions is a good thing - but just as it's cool for a buyer to ask questions and / or decide not to buy from a seller, it's cool for a seller to decide they don't want someone to buy from them.

Message 8 of 34
Latest reply

Sellers blocking buyers

@michellebartley wrote:

If you don't like a seller's attitude you would avoid buying from them, wouldn't you?

The same goes for sellers...if they don't like a buyer's attitude they may block them.

Message 9 of 34
Latest reply

Sellers blocking buyers

No I am very broad minded. I would still buy from seller regardless of attitude. Im buying an item not a seller. Get your facts straight. The customer is always right. We are a sellers bread and butter. I certainly wouldnt be rude or offensive to a seller. Then you would be blovked and probably for good.
Message 10 of 34
Latest reply