There ae groups that advertise a particular product and then send something else,

I  have become dismayed at how Ebay can let operators or sellers give false descriptions on items with some sort of strange excuses fro doing so.  eg.  Wall brackets for TVs are offered having a 75kg weight capacity, however when you get the itme it is rated 50kg on the box.  The excuses.

"The boxes are made for international sales"

"We are certain that the bracket will hold 50KG"

"The bracket is tested in our factory and will certainly hold 50KG"

I kept on insisting that I wanted the one that was advertised at 75KG capacity.

"Could you just mount the one we sent and see how it goes?"

Then after I asked Ebay to stp in I got a refund for ful cost after the seller offered to refund the cost without the postage cost.

I purchased another one after asking if  it would hold 75KG and the answer I recieved was...

"The box is marked 60KG but it will hold 75KG, 90KG, whatever you want...."

Can anyone give me advice on this issue? Will one marked 60KG hold 75KG?

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: There ae groups that advertise a particular product and then send something else,

imastawka
Honored Contributor

All I know is, if the box says 60kg, I certainly wouldn't trust an expensive 75kg 

TV on it.

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

Re: There ae groups that advertise a particular product and then send something else,

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I certainly would not be trusting a large TV on a wall bracket from China which is not even the right weight rating.

Rather than save a few $$$  I would buy it here....if anything goes wrong and it breaks you are at least in a position to maybe get some compensation.

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

@marakorpa wrote:

I  have become dismayed at how Ebay can let operators or sellers give false descriptions on items with some sort of strange excuses fro doing so.  eg.  Wall brackets for TVs are offered having a 75kg weight capacity, however when you get the itme it is rated 50kg on the box.  The excuses.

"The boxes are made for international sales"

"We are certain that the bracket will hold 50KG"

Can anyone give me advice on this issue? Will one marked 60KG hold 75KG?

No, no, no.

You are risking your life or the life of young children if you do this. The bracket is liable to fail.

There's a reason why there is a weight limit written on the box. It is to warn you of the MAXIMUM weight it could be expected to hold.

If someone advertises a a75kg bracket that comes labelled as a 50kg bracket, yes, get your money back as you did.

If it says 50kg, I personally would not even go to that maximum.

You can buy the correct brackets in shops here & get expert advice & you can get people who will install. My daughter got her 2 TVs installed flat on the wall, brackets included etc and i think it cost $150 each TV. A fair cost i know but once it is done properly, it is done.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

Not quite - safe working load isn't the same as maximum capacity, but I won't  tempt people by explaining the difference.

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

Not quite - safe working load isn't the same as maximum capacity, but I won't  tempt people by explaining the difference.

Cmon dave , it's not too difficult to explain - I'll do it for you.

A safe working load has a built in safety factor, in other words it is a pecentage of the failure load.

A maximum load rating does not.have this safety feature, in other words, what you see is what you get.

In either instance it's not good practice to exceed the rated limits, to do so is looking for trouble.

If I purchased a bracket rated at 75kg, and it arrived with a maximum load capacity of 60kg It would be sent back to where it came from, which the op has done, and rightly so.       

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

I know that. I operate machinery with SWLs all day.

My hope was to not tempt people into using things at more than SWL. Some of us care.

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

I know that. I operate machinery with SWLs all day.

My hope was to not tempt people into using things at more than SWL. Some of us care.

Wel whadoyano.. we have finally agreed on something.

Like you, I too use equipment that demands tested swl, maybe not as often as you, but when I do, my well being depends entirely on the swl of the terminal fittings of my equipment (carabiners, D rings etc) , all of which must have a minimum safety factor of 10.

Off to celebrate an agreement now.

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

Who are you and what have you done with the real slyrider? 😄 😄 😄

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

It is simple and worth explaining.  In Australia there is a percentage over the maxium tested load capacity that is called the safe working load.  In other words if an item is tested to breaking and comes out at 60KG a further safe working load of 10% of that 60KG as a safety margin is added to the item. 

There is probably no testing in China or any safe working load.

I did look at a bracket here locally at $86.00 and it was exactly the same as the second one I purchased on Ebay, but had a brand name.

The Good Guys are selling the Ebay ones at around $50 to $80, so where do you go?

I think t he main isue is the attachment to the wall.  If you do not get a good sound fixing to the wall then the whole thing will pull away if t he TV is too heavy.

My main complaint is the excuses that I got, Here is the latest......

It can holds the 70 to 75KG.Please kindly know that we are just write max. capacity 60kgs on the item's package.
But actually can holds max.90kgs.
Does you still nedd the item?
IF YES,We will post the item for you asap,If you don't need it anymore,we also can make a full refund for you.
Hope to hear from you soon!

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply