What do you look for in a listing???????

I am starting this thread to find out what buyers think makes for a good listing.  Over the years I have read threads where buyers complain about a seller's listing, but I want to start a thread that can be a one-stop place for posting ideas about listings.  As a casual seller, I am interested to know what buyers think makes for a good or bad listing.

I'm not thinking about 'professionally' produced listings, I'm thinking more along the lines of listings produced by casual sellers.

What is it about a listing that makes you stand up and take notice?  What can a seller do to improve their listings for buyers?

What puts you off a listing?

I'll kick it off with a few things I have gleaned about listings over the years.

Message 1 of 31
Latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Re: What do you look for in a listing???????

i hate pick up only listings that dont have the post code or suburb in the heading (title)

Message 21 of 31
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

Nice clear photos & a bit of a description-as in, good condition? any faults? Measurements if relevant.

I hate ads where there is next to no description and only one distance shot.

I do hate it if an item is available for pick up & the seller doesn't list suburb, or they have something general such as "Melbourne area". Where, exactly? I get tired of having to ask.

Also, just a tip with photos. If you are selling something-anything really-have a look at the background in the photo. I've seen things advertised with mess all over the floor (and one was a wedding dress where they expected top dollar), or empty cigarette packets or bottles outdoors etc. To me it is a turn off. If it all looks messy/dirty or that you have taken no care with the photo, then I wonder about the condition of the item.

And just to add to that, I hate clothes photographed lying on the floor or across a bed. And I am so over too many clothes sellers not including the size in their title and even worse, not including measurements. It seems the majority of clothes I look at and would like to buy don't include measurements, and then have to waste time asking for them.

Message 22 of 31
Latest reply

Honesty.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 23 of 31
Latest reply

Agreed. Honesty is essential.

Good photos.  If there's a fault in the product, not including a photo of it is unacceptable (ditto doctoring the pic using Photoshop)

Tell the truth.  If the description says Mint (or even Near Mint) and it's no such thing, that's dishonest and the seller is riding for a fall. What person wants to buy from a seller who lies?  That includes when the text says the item is mint but the photo suggests otherwise so the buyer asks for clarification.....and the seller insists it's in perfect condition (and blames the camera).  Then it turns out it isn't OK.

Don't just copy all the extensive notes from a previous listing into a new one without checking that all that info still applies for the new listing. (I've just found a US seller who used to post USPS then switched to the GSP, but is now (possibly) posting by USPS 1st Class Int again....I think.  That's what the shipping details say but in all her listings it still says she will only post international via GSP).

Don't say Standard Post when in fact you only post using Registered/Signed for mail.  This is my absolute pet hate as organising the collection of registered mail is a hassle.  Be clear about what postal service you use....please!!!  I agree not providing any postage details at all is also a pain.

Don't be greedy when it comes to postage, packaging costs.  Charging a lot of money but then using the minimum of care in packaging is a lottery for the seller and buyer re whether the item arrives undamaged or not.

Don't just say 'freight' because you can't be bothered finding out if AP will accept the item.  You may be surprised to find AP does and the cost can be quite reasonable.  I've asked about 'freight' costs a few times and no seller has given me a straight answer. In one instance I went to another seller for the same item - $18 using AP.

Using a courier service then saying in the listing you will also use AP is the item is not fragile, expensive etc....then ignoring a buyer's request to have the item sent by AP is not good.  Why say in the listing you will consider it....and then you don't even bother to give the buyer the courtesy of an answer..even if it's no?

Listings that adopt the 'Big Stick' approach to payment etc.  I always pay ASAP but I have second thoughts about buying from a seller whose listing says stuff that makes that person sound very mean and nasty to deal with.

And finally...the most useless listing description ever:  Sent from my iPhone.  Really?  That's all you've got to say?  Do you even want to sell this item?

Message 24 of 31
Latest reply

And finally...the most useless listing description ever:  Sent from my iPhone.  Really?  That's all you've got to say?  Do you even want to sell this item?

"sent from my iphone" is automatically attached to messages etc unless you go in and change in the settings on your phone. Some probably don't know how to do it.

Message 25 of 31
Latest reply

True - they probably don't. Smiley Mad  I guess if you take that out it would leave the listing with no text at all.  Hmm.

I wonder whether adding text beyond this usless message is even possible sometimes, given the number of listings 'sent by iPhone' with a product title, whatever compulsory boxes they have to tick, a photo and no other details about it.

Message 26 of 31
Latest reply

Measurements, measurements and did I mention measurements ? Woman Frustrated

Message 27 of 31
Latest reply

I like sent from iphone listing - usually demonstrates casual seller that ain't **bleep**-retentive bout anything
Message 28 of 31
Latest reply

I really like a description that is simple and honest sounding. One that doesn't go overboard to talk something up which makes me suspicious.

Good photos are fab, but if it's an item I know really well with bad photos . . . well that can be a nice way to pick up something cheap.

Agree about location being a must for a free local pick up. So annoying not to have it stated when you live in a big city.

I hate listings where the seller sounds burned out and bitter and has a bazillion requirements and policies listed (eg things like saying 'people who ask idiotic questions will be banned' . . . hmm really well thanks for the heads up that you are willing to be rude to people who haven't even yet purchased from you. Wouldn't be buying from them. These ones just shout to me that even if you have a legit quibble they will be a horror to deal with.

Message 29 of 31
Latest reply

Just thought of this today - knowing whether or not returns will be to an Australian address.  It's all good and well to say the item location is Sydney and it genuinely comes from Sydney, but getting a rude shock to return faulty or incorrect merchandise overseas is more than irksome, as evidenced by many of the threads here.

Computer would probably say, "No," to that one as it would actually require a working system to implement Smiley LOL

Message 30 of 31
Latest reply