What is the point of paypal buyer protection?

Hi, I recently purchased a tail light for my brothers car.

It arrived in a 5 kg satchel, wrapped in bubble wrap.

It had clearly been dropped or had some rough handling as it had been broken.

I instantly rang the number on the back of the satchel, a number in Beenleigh QLD to let them know of my disappointment.

I was told to put in a claim with Australia post.

I went to my local post office, filled out some paper work and left the tail light with the PO.

The weeks are passing, I am going to ring Aust post and ask what going on, but mean while it leaves me asking the question, What is the point of paypal buyer protection?

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: What is the point of paypal buyer protection?

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

You only mention putting in a claim with Australia Post.

When did you open a dispute in paypal for Item Not As Described?  Paypal can not do anything if you don't open a dispute with them.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Thanks for that, I was unaware that I had to do both. The seller I spoke to on the phone made it clear that I had to sort it out with Australia post. Seems I have been misled.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Just to confirm, what will happen with two disputes open, one with Australia post and one with paypal?

Will paypal reimburse me and Australia post eventually reimburse the seller?

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

I am really surprised that you have been on ebay as long as you have been as a buyer and a seller and never had occasion to open a dispute or had one opened against you by a buyer.

Have you read the paypal agreement that you signed when you opened your account....it gives you all the information about when to open a dispute, what is covered etc.

Your seller obviously misled you for a reason...he does not want to have to refund you.

You may have a problem though....you say you left the broken item with Australia Post but you may also have to return it to the seller in order to get your refund.  Some sellers are happy to take a photograph of the broken item and not ask for it to be returned but I suspect your seller may not be as accommodating.

Anyway, good luck with the refund.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

@feedme-ifudare wrote:

Just to confirm, what will happen with two disputes open, one with Australia post and one with paypal?

Will paypal reimburse me and Australia post eventually reimburse the seller?

Nothing will happen....they are two different disputes with two different organisations. (The only thing you cannot do is start a bank chargeback while you have a dispute open in paypal)

You will be refunded by paypal who will take the money from the seller.

Unless the item was insured by the seller there will be no refund from AP.  I still have no idea why AP even accepted a claim from you....it usually has to be made by the sender who insured the item.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Probably wasn't insured.

I'm surprised by AP, too. You would think as the taillight obviously wouldn't withstand a 20kg drop (if only bubblewrapped) they would have rejected the claim instantly.

Btw - it is the BUYER who is responsible for claiming damage from AP as they have the goods.

However, OP, surely you could have bought the part from a real shop? Is there any reason you would buy something that can be considered fragile online, rather than in person?

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

However, OP, surely you could have bought the part from a real shop? Is there any reason you would buy something that can be considered fragile online, rather than in person?

OP comes on here and politely asks a very valid question.

And you pick on his decision to buy the item in the first place.  Nice one.  As if tail lights are available off the shelf in your local K-mart or Supercheap anyway, LOL.

Hey - all you ebayers of crockery and funky knick-knacks. get a real shop!

OP you have 180 days to open a not as described case with paypal, but you have to get that part back from Australia Post, as previously advised.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

Unless it's a rare/old car you could probably buy it at supercheap.

Or online from an authorised dealer, who would know how to package it properly. Like in the cardboard box with styrofoam filling it came from the manufacturer in.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Dave..... tail lights are not a standard part, unless you mean the bulbs?

Supercheap, Autobarn etc couldn't possibly stock even a tiny percentage of all the different tail lights for all the makes and models that are driven on Australian roads... for instance even a common Commodore has different tail lights for each model in the same year... Omega, Berlina, Calais, SS etc etc ..... thousands of tail lights across all makes of cars over all the years..... and to go to the dealer is to really pay a hugely marked up premium price which is why these parts are often bought online.  

IF you are so lucky to have a local wreckers that happen to have your exact match, then yeah, go buy a lottery ticket as well, as the stars are certainly lining up for you.  

It's absolutely standard to buy these parts online.  The seller should have boxed it properly, bubble wrapped in a satchel is completely inadequate.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply