Why is ebay removing negatives left for sellers so easily?

Hi all.

SO unimpressed with ebay removig negatives/neutrals left for sellers selling damaged or items not as decribed.

Then when you ask why they say an internal review was done and they cant tell you why?

Im done buying on ebay. Dodgy feedback policies=dodgy sellers.

Any one else had this problem?

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: Why is ebay removing negatives left for sellers so easily?

@11dustyattic wrote:

With a response like that lyndal, my thought is you must work for Ebay

That's the usual response by those who don't know how the boards work.

Your response is what other potential buyers see if they check your feedback. That is essentially what it is for. They are not privy to the messages between you and the other party - all they can see is that you have been less than polite to the buyer. Which could well colour their decision as to whether to buy from you.

None of us know who the buyer is, so you're not warning other members, just venting for the world to see.

Message 11 of 23
Latest reply

He said my reply. I assumed he meant my reply in messaging so get down off your high horse

Message 12 of 23
Latest reply

@11dustyattic,

When you feel that you're given an unfair comment and a negative dot that you don't deserve, I realise it can be upsetting... especially for smaller sellers.

However, what lyndal posted is actually great advice. Ultimately your feedback profile page is an open window to any prospective buyer or indeed any eBay member. You need not only to do the right thing, but to be SEEN doing the right thing. Your most recent negative had a completely uninformative negative comment comprising the single word "Beware". That doesn't convey anything to a prospective buyer and it wouldn't be likely to put off any potential buyer.

But... by replying to it, you've drawn attention to it.

Worse still... if I break down your reply, it consists of the following:

[Derisive laughter] [Claiming that buyer typically buys in order to sell] [Mentioning that there were warning signs (but you don't say what they were)] [Stating that you cancelled the sale] [Explaining your emotional response] [Stating that you subsequently blocked the buyer]

What - of all that - does the buyer need to know in order to feel comfortable in purchasing from you?

None. None of it. It reads as almost childish. It's certainly not professional. Don't you want potential buyers to regard you as a mature, professional seller who is able to deal calmly with issues?

Instead of trying to use the "reply to feedback" option to release your feelings of anger, you should use that option to REASSURE POTENTIAL BUYERS.

• That means ditching the HAHA, for one thing.
  • Saying that the buyer is an onseller is pointless. There is nothing in eBay policy or in Australian Consumer Legislation which prevents a person from buying something and then selling it.
  • Saying "Red flags" doesn't give anyone the facts, and also doesn't look professional. Can you imagine if a David Jones representative told some of your neighbours that there were some suspicious signs when you recently tried to purchase a collander from them?
  • Stating that you cancelled the sale would be fine.
  • Your emotional response to that cancellation would not be of any interest to a potential buyer, and would look unprofessional.
  • Stating that you've blocked the buyer can be included, but is it necessary?

lyndal's post explained that most buyers would pay absolutely no attention to the buyer's feedback... but the reply that you gave is a missed opportunity to correct the situation and demonstrate that you are a fair, efficient and professional seller.

I might have replied along these lines:

Transaction cancelled as we decline to deal with [username] for various reasons

... or ...

Transaction cancelled. We wish [username] better luck in future purchases from other sellers

That has no "heat" in it from a personal emotional response, and it's very matter-of-fact. It doesn't refer to a dispute, and it doesn't say anything more than necessary. If a prospective buyer read that response, it wouldn't cause that person any alarm about you as a seller. In fact, by showing calmness and no rudeness, it's a great opportunity to showcase what sort of a seller you are.

(I will admit that I don't understand why you cancelled that particular transaction. If it's because the buyer is onselling, it doesn't seem a reason to cancel a sale. If it's for another reason, I respect your right to keep that reason private if you wish.)

When you perceive things as going well, you're a good seller. It looks as though when you perceive things as not going as you expect or want, you become heated and take things personally. If you want to become the best possible seller you can be, you may want to consider taking a day or two to get over your first instinctive "hit back" response if you receive negative feedback, and instead take your time in formulating a reply that shows you as a reasonable and professional person who is able to calmly deal with problems. Believe me, that impresses buyers... Both lyndal and I are BUYERS ONLY (and - in case it needs spelling out - neither of us are eBay employees or eBay management), and we speak from that buyer perspective.

With regard to the transaction where you mention the feedback extortion, the reply you gave is fair enough. It does explain what occurred, but I honestly don't understand why you weren't able to get that feedback removed. Assuming that I'd not been able to get the feedback removed, I'd probably have replied with something like this:

[username], we decline to provide additional items for +ve feedback. Cancelled

... but really that's just another way of saying what you said.

However... assuming that your story of the buyer saying "If you sweeten the pot, I won't leave negative feedback" is accurate, I would certainly have had that negative removed. I'd have contacted eBay via Have us call you, calmly and politely explained the situation, quoted the relevant section from the Feedback exortion policy, asked the CS rep to read the relevant message where the buyer explicitly breached that policy, and requested that the feedback be removed and any appropriate action to be taken against the buyer.

Message 13 of 23
Latest reply

He?

Lyndal is not a he. As the name would suggest.

Message 14 of 23
Latest reply

Thank you for your book length condescending post. I appreciate the effort that must have taken. Of course I rang jumped through all the hoops, wasted hours upon hours, like I said was 'told', or did you miss that bit, that they wouldn't remove it, even after reading his message, so there are different rules for different people. You must be one of the favoured ones. I will not be visiting these boards EVER again, you and your little groupies can find someone else to belittle. I'm out. Oh and I won't be reading your reply so save your breath. A buyer extorts me, I post a comment about it, and I get attacked. Maybe you people need to get a life. And to your buddy who called me out about lyndal being female, I've never heard that name before so again, enough belittling please

Message 15 of 23
Latest reply

@11dustyattic wrote:

Thank you for your book length condescending post. I appreciate the effort that must have taken. Of course I rang jumped through all the hoops, wasted hours upon hours, like I said was 'told', or did you miss that bit, that they wouldn't remove it, even after reading his message, so there are different rules for different people. You must be one of the favoured ones. I will not be visiting these boards EVER again, you and your little groupies can find someone else to belittle. I'm out. Oh and I won't be reading your reply so save your breath. A buyer extorts me, I post a comment about it, and I get attacked. Maybe you people need to get a life. And to your buddy who called me out about lyndal being female, I've never heard that name before so again, enough belittling please

You brought up an issue that happened over a year ago, whilst implying it was a current issue.

I don't think correcting somebody about an implicitly female name is belittling.

Given you haven't actually contributed anything material to the discussion, I doubt we will miss your insightful comments

Message 16 of 23
Latest reply

@11dustyattic,

No effort, so no need to thank me.

eBay has many sellers who won't take any suggestions onboard, and who take umbrage at even well-intentioned comments. There are far more difficult things in life than being called condescending; I don't hold it against you.

Spoiler
(But... that's not book-length! It's one of my shorter replies.)

quill-g.gif

@11dustyattic wrote:

You must be one of the favoured ones.

I doubt it very much. If I am successful in getting eBay to follow its own policy in specific instances, that's not due to my being especially adorable... and I'm sorry on your behalf that somehow eBay's policies were apparently not followed.

Message 17 of 23
Latest reply

Gotta wonder. The referenced post was no more than a novella. Maybe even verging on a short story. Which we are overdue for one of.

All over something that happened last year.

Message 18 of 23
Latest reply

I got a neg a few years ago. I didn't notice the item had scratches. The buyer could have contacted me first, but he chose to leave a neg. That's his choice. Plus he had low feedback so may have thought that was the done thing. I contacted him and he explained. He even sent photos. I told him I would refund but he said no, he could still use the item and he should be able to polish the scratches out. He was stoked with the other 2 items he'd bought.

I replied to the neg taking full responsibility and apologised. It was something like "completely my fault, I am so sorry". He left a follow up reply thanking me for being professional. I could have sent a feedback revision, but I didn't. It didn't affect my sales.

As others have said, the reply to the feedback can make or break you. I have seen sellers reply to bad feedback with so much anger and vitriol. A buyer could have left a neg saying the item was broken, or a completely different colour and the seller go into an absolute rage in their reply. I hit the back button as quick as I can when I see that. As a buyer, I need to know that if there is a problem, I'm not going to cop a heap of abuse.

I refuse to buy from someone who leaves bad follow up replies. Regardless of who the buyer is and what they have written. I don't have a crystal ball, and I can't see who the buyer is to know that they've left 45 out of 55 feedback left for others as being negative. I can only see what's in front of me.

If I see a seller has received bad feedback, and they have left a professional reply, I will gladly buy from them. That's why I tried to leave a professional reply, taking full responsibility when I copped a neg. I want buyers to know that if there is an issue, I'm not going to abuse them and call them scammers and all the other buzz words that get thrown around in unprofessional replies.

Spoiler
I'm guessing I'll now get accused of writing a book in my reply.
Spoiler
My neg was more than 3 years ago I think.
Spoiler
This is actually the first time since I got it that I've thought of it!
Message 19 of 23
Latest reply

I must admit, I too have been advised on these forums about my replies to neutral feedback, and the one neg I once received (that was removed by ebay), but geez, I don't even need to read the OP's feedback responses to see how they react to any perceived criticism or judgement...it's shown quite clearly in their posts in this thread!

I myself have felt embarrassed and chastised when it's been suggested on here that my attempts at professional / factual responses to neutrals have not been overly useful and may even make things worse, but goodness me! Own your actions, OP!

Even if it's not something you really want to hear, the advice, "feedback" (no pun intended) and educated / experienced opinions of some members here are SO useful. I appreciate all of them. This is how we learn.
Message 20 of 23
Latest reply