Why is it that when I purchase an item and the money paid the seller will not leave any feedback?

I have been an eBay member since 2008 and am both a buyer and a seller. I have found that some sellers wait until the buyer enters feedback so as they can reciprocate. I don't feel that is fair for the buyer since he/she has done the right thing and paid for the purchase but if there is something wrong with the item or with the seller and the problem isn't resolved, the buyer's negative feedback to the seller could revert back. There was an instance with one of my sellers where after I had paid and received the item the seller was still waiting for me to leave feedback. When I left a neutral feedback and given my reason I got an attitude message and most probably a negative feedback.

Message 1 of 42
Latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

Why is it that when I purchase an item and the money paid the seller will not leave any feedback?

Hi!

Having been an eBay member since 2008 you are of course aware that leaving feedabck is VOLUNTARY!

JMO-I never worry if a seller leaves no feedback.

I've got the item,I leave feedback & the seller has the cash..........Great!

As a buyer feedback left by seller's is largely meaningless as they can't leave negs!

Just move on to the next auction,have fun & don't sweat the small stuff!

Works for me !!!

Message 2 of 42
Latest reply

Here we go again.

Feedback is VOLUNTARY! Neither party is required to leave it

eBay allow sellers to automate feedback so it is left when the buyer leaves a positive.

Over the last three months I have about 30% of my sales where buyers who have received items have not left feedback. I assume they are happy with their items or they would have left negatives or, maybe, asked me what was going on. i assume that things are OK and don't sweat it. i prefer quality (positives) over quantity.

Feedback for a seller has meaning, in that it reflects on their business practices and can result in restriction of their accounts if they go outside eBay's tight criteria. Feedback for a buyer is a count of items they have bought that sellers left feedback for.

Your assumption is that payment for an item is the end of the transaction. Is it? You claim to be a seller also, so you should know that payment is a very early stage in a transaction.

I might have already mentioned this, but FEEDBACK IS VOLUNTARY!

Message 3 of 42
Latest reply

feedback is voluntary. Some sellers leave feedback after payment is made, some have auto feedback on which will leave positive feedback after the buyer does.  Some sellers manually leave feedback once a month and some never leave feedback. By you leaving feedback first it tells the seller you have received your purchase and all is well.

Message 4 of 42
Latest reply

@godor-2008 wrote:

I have been an eBay member since 2008 . . . . .

There was an instance with one of my sellers where after I had paid and received the item the seller was still waiting for me to leave feedback. When I left a neutral feedback and given my reason I got an attitude message and most probably a negative feedback.

not in the last 5 years you didn't !  Sellers have not been able to leave negatives for buyers for the last 5 years.  This is the reason many sellers wait for buyers to leave feedback first.
Why would a seller want to leave a positive feedback for a buyer who neuts or negs them?
Think about it, if the seller bends over backwards to please a buyer and they still leave a neutral or negative then why would a seller add to a buyers green dot count?  If the buyer does not communicate any problem with the seller and just leaves a neutral or negative then why would the seller want to add to the buyer's green dot count.  If the buyer tries to sort out a problem with the seller and the seller does not co-operate and the buyer leaves a neutral or negative then why would . . . . you know how it goes by now!
Message 5 of 42
Latest reply

OMG !!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish I had looked at the feedback you have left for others before posting my previous reply.

You have got to be kidding!!!!

You left " I refuse to leave feedback because this seller has not acknowledged my purchase "  for a couple of sellers . . . . . but isn't this feedback !!!!!  And you also left " No feedback left, none given " for a seller (shaking my head in disbelief).

Welcome to my special list !!!!!!!!!

Message 6 of 42
Latest reply

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

OMG !!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Aye.

OP, does not receiving feedback from a seller before you leave it for them really make the entire transaction a neutral experience for you? 

For heaven's sake, feedback isn't "deserved" or "owed" by anyone, it's given if/when the person giving it decides to. >_>

Message 7 of 42
Latest reply

How does OP react as a seller?

Message 8 of 42
Latest reply

Hey Dave, I've brought some more eggs for you!

Message 9 of 42
Latest reply

The same way as a buyer

Message 10 of 42
Latest reply