bought iPhone 6 in July 2019 with 3 year seller warranty. Phone has an problem. Seller no response

iPhone 6 purchased 17/07/19. Seller offered 2 year warranty in listing but because of delivery issues seller offered extra 1 year warranty - total three years. eBay cannot help as outside 30 day purchase money back guarantee. Paypal unwilling to help as outside PPs 180 day "challenge" period .

So why does eBay and Paypal allow sellers to rip us off? Sellers offering any guarantee greater than 180 days on eBay laugh at us buyers as eBay and paypal will not pursue them to honour their Guarantee / Warranty period.  How do I challenge this issus with eBay and paypal. Seller still offers a two year guarantee on the iPhone 6, but original listing has gone (#333091368266). New listing              #333425512724 offers the two year warranty. But yet when I ask for that warranty to be enforced, the seller does not reply! And neither PP nor eBay will assist me beyond (eBay) writing to the seller.

How many eBay buyers have been and are being ripped off by this warranty scam?

Come on eBay support those who support you!

See attached image confiring 3 year warranty offer. Sadly can only post one image here.

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: bought iPhone 6 in July 2019 with 3 year seller warranty. Phone has an problem. Seller no respon

Buyer beware. If you buy from Hong Kong or China in 99.99999% of cases the warranty means nothing because it's not enforceable in Australia, and not just because they're probably not an authorised reseller.

Buy from a bricks & mortar retail store in Australia if you want a proper warranty. Buying from Asia on ebay is no different to going to Asia and buying something in a marketplace.
Message 2 of 27
Latest reply

Re: bought iPhone 6 in July 2019 with 3 year seller warranty. Phone has an problem. Seller no respon

Neither eBay nor Paypal offer warranties. That's not what their buyer protection is for. I believe Paypal explicitly state they their protection is not a warranty.

I reckon you did well. You got a cheap 'iphone' and you got 18 months out of it.

Message 3 of 27
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

Neither eBay nor Paypal offer warranties. That's not what their buyer protection is for. I believe Paypal explicitly state they their protection is not a warranty.

I reckon you did well. You got a cheap 'iphone' and you got 18 months out of it.

Sorry, misread the date. 6 months is not so flash. Therein lie the perils of buying phones online.

Message 4 of 27
Latest reply

Please do not take offence but for any electrical/IT item you are better to buy from a B & M store in Australia or at least a licenced reseller.   You are not the first to come here with these problems and I am sure that you won't be the last.  I am afraid that due diligence is your protection in these cases.  If the price seems too good to be true, it should send up red flags.  Ebay or Paypal are not able to help in this situation.  Dont forget you are not buying from Ebay, it is purely a selling platform.

Message 5 of 27
Latest reply

Hey DD_12 I have been playing on eBay for over 19 years, so please do not try and educate on what is right and or wrong.

The issue here is why does eBay allow sellers to make warranty / guarantee claims which they the sellers have no  intention of agreeing to / accepting, although they clearly state their warranties / guarantees in their listing! 

\WHY DOES EBAY ALLOW THIS ABUSIVE SELLER BEHAVIOUR TO PERSIST?

Typical eBay response is "we will write to the seller."

THIS MUST BE ONE OF ThE GREATEST EBAY SCAMS EVER!

Message 6 of 27
Latest reply

Ebay provides the platform to sell and it provides the feedback facility so you can check the seller out. It's not up to ebay to check out every seller or their items. Buyers need to take some responsibility, but if ebay did all of a buyer's work for them there would be no ebay because the fees would be so high no seller would use the site.

With a feedback rating of 97.2%, why would you ever think you could trust the seller to honour a warranty. Even their first three positives tell how they sent the wrong item, so how many negative comments have they got amongst the positives, and how many people just threw stuff away without bothering to leave a negative?

Again, ebay doesn't guarantee every item or every seller on the site. It's up to buyers to check the seller out before they buy.
Message 7 of 27
Latest reply

@yippyiyo wrote:

Hey DD_12 I have been playing on eBay for over 19 years, so please do not try and educate on what is right and or wrong.

In that case ignore what daydreams has said and educate yourself by buying more electrical goods/phones that are very likely to be refurbished, fake or second-hand from dubious Chinese sellers.

eBay Australia has no control over Chinese registered sellers, like it or not.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 8 of 27
Latest reply

why does eBay and Paypal allow sellers to rip us off? 

YOU let yourself be ripped off. Don't blame eBay or PayPal.

Don't try getting something cheaper, there are always risks, you should know that by now if you have been here for 19 years.

And you would also know that warranties are non transferable unless sold by an authorised reseller.

Not to mention the countless discussion forums talking about NOT buying electronics online unless it's from a HN or JB or the like.

Because you don't get a genuine warranty. (and usually fakes)

Always remember "Buy cheap, get cheap'. No such thing as a free lunch.

image host
Message 9 of 27
Latest reply

@yippyiyo wrote:

iPhone 6 purchased 17/07/19. Seller offered 2 year warranty in listing but because of delivery issues seller offered extra 1 year warranty - total three years. eBay cannot help as outside 30 day purchase money back guarantee. Paypal unwilling to help as outside PPs 180 day "challenge" period .

So why does eBay and Paypal allow sellers to rip us off? Sellers offering any guarantee greater than 180 days on eBay laugh at us buyers as eBay and paypal will not pursue them to honour their Guarantee / Warranty period.  How do I challenge this issus with eBay and paypal. Seller still offers a two year guarantee on the iPhone 6, but original listing has gone (#333091368266). New listing              #333425512724 offers the two year warranty. But yet when I ask for that warranty to be enforced, the seller does not reply! And neither PP nor eBay will assist me beyond (eBay) writing to the seller.

How many eBay buyers have been and are being ripped off by this warranty scam?

Come on eBay support those who support you!

See attached image confiring 3 year warranty offer. Sadly can only post one image here.

Not me, because I only buy phones from reputable retailers, were I buy locally. FYI, Officeworks is cheaper than Hardly Normal for phones. I know not to believe the garbage that Asian sellers blab on about on eBay, so I don't buy phones from them.

I didn't look at your link because I refuse to download someone else's rubbish photos onto my computer, but I'm guessing you bought from a Chinese seller (despite them saying they are in Australia). Buyer beware. Check the feedback page to see where the seller is registered.

So sorry you got burnt, but there is absolutely nothing you can do about it if it's longer than 180 days since you purchased. In future, buy a phone locally, so you get a full warranty.

Message 10 of 27
Latest reply