bought iPhone 6 in July 2019 with 3 year seller warranty. Phone has an problem. Seller no response

iPhone 6 purchased 17/07/19. Seller offered 2 year warranty in listing but because of delivery issues seller offered extra 1 year warranty - total three years. eBay cannot help as outside 30 day purchase money back guarantee. Paypal unwilling to help as outside PPs 180 day "challenge" period .

So why does eBay and Paypal allow sellers to rip us off? Sellers offering any guarantee greater than 180 days on eBay laugh at us buyers as eBay and paypal will not pursue them to honour their Guarantee / Warranty period.  How do I challenge this issus with eBay and paypal. Seller still offers a two year guarantee on the iPhone 6, but original listing has gone (#333091368266). New listing              #333425512724 offers the two year warranty. But yet when I ask for that warranty to be enforced, the seller does not reply! And neither PP nor eBay will assist me beyond (eBay) writing to the seller.

How many eBay buyers have been and are being ripped off by this warranty scam?

Come on eBay support those who support you!

See attached image confiring 3 year warranty offer. Sadly can only post one image here.

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: bought iPhone 6 in July 2019 with 3 year seller warranty. Phone has an problem. Seller no respon

tippy, they included the item number and the seller doesn't even pretend to be in Australia. I don't think I clicked on their feedback but in the listing itself it says Hong Kong.
Message 11 of 27
Latest reply

Re: bought iPhone 6 in July 2019 with 3 year seller warranty. Phone has an problem. Seller no respon

@yippyiyo wrote:

Hey DD_12 I have been playing on eBay for over 19 years, so please do not try and educate on what is right and or wrong.

If during your 19 years of using eBay you haven't learned to check feedback, spot dodgy sellers, and understand the limitations of eBay and PayPal buyer protection policies, I'd respectfully suggest you *need* educating on what is right and wrong. 

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 12 of 27
Latest reply

@yippyiyo,

(What a fun username, by the way!)

Irrespective of the platform, an overseas warranty can - as a general rule - not be enforced.

Please read the ACCC's page concerning parallel imports; I'll quote briefly from it below.

“While you have the same consumer rights when you buy parallel imports as you do with any other goods, it may be more difficult to obtain a remedy if something goes wrong with a parallel import.”

From this, you should infer that it is not illegal to buy parallel imports through an online platform, BUT that it's neither eBay's nor PayPal's responsibility to compel an overseas seller to honour a warranty stated in a listing. The ACCC can't do so; Australian Consumer bodies can't do so; the police can't do so. As the ACCC specifically states:

“If the seller is based overseas, there may be practical and legal difficulties in enforcing your consumer guarantee rights against an overseas business.”

This means that you as the buyer should be aware that you're buying sans any enforceable warranty if you buy from an overseas seller.

(And that's assuming that the item is even genuine! Buying some items from a Chinese seller has a worse risk... that of the item being a knock-off (usually made of substandard components and without meeting the genuine item's product specifications). In that case, you have less than zilch chance of having a "warranty" honoured.)

Is it your view that eBay should not allow genuine products that are grey imports/parallel imports?

There is nothing in our Consumer Legislation that imposes such a constraint.

Our Consumer Legislation certainly allows Australian buyers to purchase items not manufactured for the Australian market or not specifically allowed by the manufacturer. Quoting from ACCC:

“Most manufacturers allow businesses to distribute and sell their products in particular countries, including Australia. However, sometimes a business will sell genuine products which have been bought into Australia without the specific permission of the manufacturer. That's called a parallel import. Parallel imports include many different products such as groceries, alcohol, personal care products and electronics. They can be sold online or in-store.”

(Rubrication is mine.)

It's also clear that the buyer assumes the risk.

Is it your view that eBay should not allow Chinese sellers, for instance, to post anything in their listings about warranties?

I am sympathetic to this. It is misleading. If an Australian eBay seller offered a warranty and didn't honour it, you could report the seller to eBay and expect to see action taken(account suspension, removal of listings, etc). You could - more importantly - pursue the seller under Australian Consumer Legislation.

ebay even have a Warranty Policy but - and this is the catch - it is the eBay Australia policy, not eBay China. It does not and CANNOT apply to eBay sellers registered in China.

Chinese law differs considerably from ours. eBay.cn operates under Chinese law and with very different expectations. eBay.com.au could, I suppose, require that eBay China sellers listing items available for Australian buyers NEVER include any warranty information ... or include a caveat such as "This warranty is not enforceable for Australian consumers"... but how could that be policed or actions? Would it even be possible to enforce that requirement under Chinese law? Would eBay even consider such s a thing, given its history and shaky presence in China?

In the end, it comes down to the buyer being aware that a Chinese eBay seller's "warranty" is mere puffery, as reliable as a bridge made of fairy floss.

if you want a valid warranty, buy from an Australian authorised reseller for the particular brand you wish to purchase. There are quite a few on eBay Australia. If in doubt, contactvyhe Australian distributor or manufacturer and ask if the seller is an authorised dealer.

Message 13 of 27
Latest reply

Sadly you have misunderstood my issue.

the question I am raising is why does eBay allow sellers to make (false) claims and then when that false claim is challenged eBay wipes their hands of any further assistance because it is out of there 30 day "observance" period?

Seems many here having nothing better to do than troll sincere issues raised by eBay users.

eBay please respond here!

Message 14 of 27
Latest reply

@yippyiyo wrote:

Ebay will not reply here.....they do not even read here to see your request.

If you buy from overseas ebay sites such as China you have to accept that ebay Australia has no control over the claims made in those listings.

Message 15 of 27
Latest reply

Troll is not a word that comes to mind when I think of the countess. Novelist, yes.

If you want an answer to your question, ring eBay and ask the underpaid call centre operative in Manilla. At least you'll get a laugh.

If you want help from other eBay members, which is what happens when you come to the member boards, casting aspersions because you don't like the answers you get is unlikely to be particularly productive. If you even read them, which appears unlikely.

Message 16 of 27
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

At least you'll get a laugh.

Judging by appearances.............maybe not............

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 17 of 27
Latest reply

@yippyiyo wrote:

the question I am raising is why does eBay allow sellers to make (false) claims and then when that false claim is challenged eBay wipes their hands of any further assistance because it is out of there 30 day "observance" period?

Seems many here having nothing better to do than troll sincere issues raised by eBay users.

eBay have zero control over warranty claims made by tens of millions of sellers.  They do have this on every listing:

Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing.

Which would be consistent with them offering a platform for sellers while not selling things themselves.

Your beef is with the seller, who can not be made to honour any warranty statements as they are not within Australian jurisdiction.

You could complain to eBay, but that is unlikely to get you the outcome you are seeking.

Spoiler
you can call me a troll if you like as I usually miss out when members are labelled as bullies or nasty. I really feel left out when that happens.
Message 18 of 27
Latest reply

@yippyiyo wrote:

By your reply, it is apparent that I haven't misunderstood your issue - but you're under no obligation to accept my response.

I've answered your question about why eBay allows sellers to make false claims (aka warranties), but I'll try to address it from another perspective. It is because eBay China protect their members (registered in China), and also because it's impossible for eBay to predict that a seller will fail to honour a warranty.

You speak about a 30 day observance period - as though during that time, eBay oversee and guarantee a seller's warranty. That is not the case! eBay offer a Money Back Guarantee with specific terms and conditions. The seller's warranty (if he has one) is irrelevant. If you receive a faulty item or never receive the item at all, or you've changed your mind and the seller accepts returns , the MBG allows you to open a case, see if the seller resolves the problem within  3 days, and if not, you escalate to a dispute by asking eBay to step in. Followed to the letter, eBay's MBG is significant protection voluntarily offered by eBay 

But eBay very clearly and specifically do not offer a warranty. The MBG is not a product warranty, and if a buyer tries to get a replacement item or a repair or refund after having used the item for a while, that is an abused/misuse of the MBG process.

When you say ebay please respond here, you're asking for something that just will not happen. These are Community boards, not a way of communicating with eBay.

To dismiss as trolls the posters who offer information or advice given is poor behaviour.

Message 19 of 27
Latest reply

Just posting so I can be accused of being a troll...............AGAIN. I didn't want to be left out.

Buy shart from China, expect it to break pretty quickly. The current joke is, the Corona Virus won't last long, because it's made in China. It's no different to anything else purchased from there.

Spoiler
Please accuse me of being a troll!
Spoiler
I don't want to be left out.
Message 20 of 27
Latest reply