can sellers change the date paid or date posted

Many times I have bought things and noticed that the "PAID" date is often wrong (usually marked as one day before being posted) and usually several days after it was ACTUALLY paid and easily verified by my records.  Also, POSTED dates are often wrong.  Is it possible for Sellers to manipulate these dates?

Message 1 of 56
Latest reply
55 REPLIES 55

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I cannot see how a seller could manipulate the dates but if you are paying by paypal you have to remember that the dates are the USA dates as paypal is based in the USA.

Depending on the actual TIME that you pay it could also make a difference in the date that shows.

The Posted date would be the date of posting in the country where it is posted which may not be the date in Australia.

I have had it happen that an item in the USA was posted before I paid for it.

This is also why it is advised on the boards to open a dispute well before the 45 days is up just so there are no problems with times/dates of purchase.

Message 2 of 56
Latest reply

OOh the trifecta! 3 different sellers maybe.Too angry for my liking so onto the party list.

I don't know how some buyers have so many problems at one time.

Message 3 of 56
Latest reply

My thoughts exactly Narelle.Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 56
Latest reply

A payment date has been changed by four days just recently, so no times difference there between us and the USA, and often this happens with sales within Australia.  It always seems to happen when the Seller has taken their time in posting the item, then it shows it was paid for on the day of postage or the day before.  Also the same when things are marked "Posted" and when the item arrives, postmarked several days later, or eBay notifies that the item is posted a week after it was marked "Posted"  It would seem something shifty is going on here.

Message 5 of 56
Latest reply

There sure are some strange replies on here.

Message 6 of 56
Latest reply

Sure are some very rude people too, probably bad sellers

Message 7 of 56
Latest reply

@shoppingbag* wrote:

Sure are some very rude people too, probably bad sellers

Well that lets me out....I am not a seller.

I have no idea why there would be 4 days difference between when you paid and when the receipt is dated.....I am not going to even try to explain it.

But there is an explanation for the discrepancy between an item being marked as posted and the postmarked date.

When a seller processes the payment using the on line postage options it is always marked as posted when they print the labels.  It may be that they process their sales on a Sunday night but don't actually get to the post office for a day or two.  That is the system and there is nothing the seller can do about it.  There is definitely nothing underhand about it.

Message 8 of 56
Latest reply

As Lyndal told you,the seller cannot change the date of payment & that eBay is in U.S time.There is no option/setting for a seller to do that.If you paid by eCheque it will state the day paid but it does not count until it clears,same as a real cheque.No PayPal payment can be changed by the seller.

A item marked as posted can be unmarked.Say if i am about to post things,i will mark as posted before i leave the house.If for some reason there is a delay or whatever,i can unmark it as posted.

I don't see how anything suspicious is going on.If you have a problem with the payment times being different then ring PayPal.

Message 9 of 56
Latest reply

I wish thst like ther OP all I had to worry about in this life was a minor change to a payment or postage date! I can't say that I have ever looked to see what date a purchase I have made was marked as paid/posted.  I buy something, I gve it a reasonable amount of time to arrive, if it has not appeared I will check the tracking number and if that is no help I will email the seller and then open a dispute if no satisfaction. What do I care when it was marked as paid, I am not going to leave it to anywhere near 45 days so it is of no importance.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 10 of 56
Latest reply