ebay sending unsolicited email of items I've viewed that are not in my watch list - wasting my time!

Several days ago I noticed I'm receiving email from ebay that look just like "this auction is ending" emails. But they contain items I've browsed and decided are too expensive, not what I require, etc. Because I've viewed them recently, they're things I'm still interested in - just not from that buyer.  Seeing them in an email makes me think they're in my watchlist, are ending, and I've forgotten to bid.  So I go to my watchlist to check and they're not there - and I read the auction again, and realise I decided against these items days/weeks ago.

There is an "If you'd rather not receive these emails click here to unsubscribe" link at the end of the emails.  But I've been through account settings and cannot find anything about this new force-feeding of emails about items I've viewed days/weeks ago and chosen to ignore.  So I'm concerned if I click unsubscribe, it's going to cancel other valid email reminders like "items closing soon".

What an annoying WASTE of people's time!  Every change ebay makes, makes me hate using ebay even more.  Do I now have to LOGOUT every time I browse ebay, in order to prevent this annoying practice?  Or will unsubscribing stop only those emails (without affecting others)?

Message 1 of 30
Latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Re: ebay sending unsolicited email of items I've viewed that are not in my watch list - wasting my t

@josky67

You don’t have to publicly announce your departure….. this is not the airport! 😉

bye bye now. 

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 21 of 30
Latest reply

Re: ebay sending unsolicited email of items I've viewed that are not in my watch list - wasting my t

Unfortunately, this is now like a virus and cannot be stopped even after you change your settings and save them. The problem still continues and these leech sellers will continue sending spam and begging you to buy their unwanted goods. Better to look elsewhere and buy from some other site than put up with this problem that eBay has created and cannot fix.

Message 22 of 30
Latest reply

I have telephoned eBay several times now and they say that they cannot stop this problem even after your user settings have been changed and updated. The problem continues to persist.

Message 23 of 30
Latest reply

I have changed my eBay settings several times now and eBay staff have told me that I would not be getting any more SPAM offers, yet they still persist like a virus. Ebay staff told me on he phone tonight that the problem cannot be fixed.

Message 24 of 30
Latest reply

josky67
Community Member

This is the final post I am putting on here about this problem due to the trolls that visit this site and make bullying remarks in defence of this nasty situation relating to unsolicited emails and offers.

Firstly, ebay are aware that users are being harassed with unwanted and unsolicited offers and does nothing to stop the present situation of these horrible sellers.

Sellers are able to send unsolicited offers to other ebay users on the Ebay App by navigating to the selling tab and clicking on the "Send Offer" button, and entering an amount of at least a 5% discount, and if they like are able to include a message to the person watching their items. They then click on "Review" and "Send Offer."

Despite some sellers denying they sent these offers to you after being confronted about it, they insist of telling lies and saying that it was Ebay that sent the offers and they had nothing to do with it. They are outright liars.

Secondly, this is important that all users that use the mobile app should be aware to check their settings and disable the "Google Analytics for Firebase" feature setting on the app because eBay uses this feature to spy on users browsing habits to entice buyers into making them addicted to buying more and more items. eBay want to know about everything you look at on the internet and try and make you buy and buy goods so you are totally addicted to buying and will end up spending more than you earn.

Thirdly - delete all your watched items so that there underhanded sellers can't send you their unsolicited offers and spam you.

Finally, I am not in a position to continue using ebay to buy things much longer and will wind up my eBay account once all the items I purchased arrive and disputes for items that never arrived after payment are finalized. In my opinion it is far better to go to a retail shop like Bunnings or JB Hi-Fi, or a book shop and buy any items needed and avoid online shopping.

I don't like the idea that companies like eBay are able to spy on what you look at on the internet and manipulate you into spending your money on their site. It's a totally underhanded way for doing business. Society is far worse off with the modern use of mobile phones that the days way back when  we all went to departments stores and did our shopping and used telephone boxes and land lines. All this online spying at what people look at on their mobile phones by Google and Ebay and other online companies is a horrible thing and invasion of our privacy.

Message 25 of 30
Latest reply

Sad to see that was your final post,  they were giving me a good laugh.   Hope you enjoy Bunnings and JB Hi Fi,  just a PS I get emails from them as well.  Enjoy

Message 26 of 30
Latest reply

Funny how it is fine for you to spam the forum with abuse and false information

Tantrum after tantrum because you do not like factual information, do not how to use the site and clearly have tin foil hat issues 

eBay are not even going to notice you have gone

All it means is one less buyer supporting bad sellers

And that is a very good thing 

Message 27 of 30
Latest reply

@sandypebbles wrote:

Funny how it is fine for you to spam the forum with abuse and false information

Hit the nail on the head Sandy, but you forgot the word "toxic"....................

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 28 of 30
Latest reply

@josky67 wrote:

I have changed my eBay settings several times now and eBay staff have told me that I would not be getting any more SPAM offers, yet they still persist like a virus. Ebay staff told me on he phone tonight that the problem cannot be fixed.

Josky, I'll miss your posts if you ride off into the sunset.

Take no notice of most ebay staff, they haven't a clue.

There's an easy fix for your problem.

If you want to stop having to see spam mail, all you need is to change your email setting.

Start up a webmail specifically for ebay. Give it a clear and easily remembered name. Maybe josky67ebayrubbish@ or even josky67extra@. That last one would be good to go then for lots of sites where you don't want follow up spam.

Now that won't stop the ebay spam, let's get that part clear. But it will keep your normal email beautifully uncluttered. This is how i operate and do I see any of those offers about stuff I looked at years ago? No. Not a worry in the world, dude.

What you then do is go to your extra email once every 6 months or so, tick the box at the top (the one that puts a tick in every email) and then push delete. All gone. Easy as pie, no need to be hassled or read a thing.

Glad to be of help.

Message 29 of 30
Latest reply

@josky67

*sigh*…. You still here?
…  10 posts from you dribbling on and on yet you had the nerve to call Padi a troll….. my Lord! Pot, kettle, black, you know the drill! 😉

There is one sure fire fix …. BLOCK THE DAMN EBAY EMAIL ACCOUNT FROM THE SENDER!!!! 
Also, it IS eBay sending the emails, it it NOT the seller sending the emails! , So I suggest you ring back those sellers you abused and called liars and do some apologising!!!! 

Regarding EBay spying on your every move…. Man oh man, how about you slide into the 21st century and get with the program man! The moment you made an email account, probably back in the early 90’s, you’ve been followed by many internet algorithms….. once you made your first online purchase, your privacy was no longer private! WAKE UP! (And grow up, while you’re at it)  Ssshhhhh….. your mobile is actually listening to you, just ask Siri 😉

Finally, have you given any thought to the assumption that maybe eBay is trying to force you to leave because you are a eBay troublemaker? The amount of neg feedback you leave is deplorable. Nobody could be that unlucky with sellers, you seem to attract them 😉, or , dare I say it, pretend the item didn’t arrive! (Oops…. I said it!😉)

Go, be gone….. one less cry baby on the boards and one less trouble maker harassing sellers. 

Do us all a favour! 

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 30 of 30
Latest reply