Baby Archie! They're having a larf

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Surely they're having us all on.

Archie?  Really?

And I bet he's a redhead like his dad

Image result for archie comic

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-royals-baby-name/archie-american-comic-book-character-and...

Message 1 of 43
Latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

Re: Baby Archie! They're having a larf

@lyndal1838 wrote:

I'm not so sure about that Stawks.....I still dislike my cousin's name after 60+ years.

The Henry/Harry debate did not worry me unduly as my grandfather was Henry known by all except my grandmother as Harry.

I am surprised that they chose a name that was immediately linked to the biggest biggot known (even Alf Garnett could not hold a candle to Archie Bunker) and a comic book character.

The name Henry/Harry has featured in my family a lot too including a current family member named after the previous Henry.  There are other names in the family that I still dislike no matter how much other family members 'have got used to them'.

In any case, where Prince Harry is concerned, there were eight Kings called Henry.  Lots of tradition there.

BTW I heard an American announcer on TV pronounce the Cambridges' youngest child 'Prince Lewis'.  Oh dear....

Perhaps Harry and Meghan are too young to be familiar with Archie Bunker?

Message 41 of 43
Latest reply

BABY Archie was named after Meghan’s pet cat and a vintage US comic she used to collect, her pals believe.

The future Duchess of Sussex used to tell friends about her beloved moggie Archie, who ended up fat after being constantly fed frozen grapes.

They reckon the newborn’s name could be a nostalgic reference to the pet who was also adored by Meghan’s mum Doria Ragland, 62.

A former close friend said on Thursday night: “Doria rescued Archie and he became an important part of the household. Meghan loved playing with him and she was always talking about him to her friends.

“It’s no surprise she named her new baby Archie. She loved that cat.”

They reckon the newborn’s name could be a nostalgic reference to the pet who was also adored by Meghan’s mum Doria Ragland, 62.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9042097/royal-baby-archie-meghan-markle-cat/

Other rumours say Archie the cat was named after Comic book Archie, (who was also a redhead, like Harry.)

"As for the origins of Archie the cat's name, it is believed that he was actually named after the comic book character. Apparently, Meghan and her estranged father Thomas Markle shared a hobby of collecting the comic books."

https://www.eonline.com/news/1040495/did-meghan-markle-s-cat-inspire-her-and-prince-harry-to-name-th...

So it all ties in., lol.

Still... for a royal baby, they could have given him a name with a bit more gravity, and then called him Archie as a byname, or nickname, like his father is Henry, but called Harry.

Message 42 of 43
Latest reply

She fed the cat frozen grapes?

and the cat ate them?

Message 43 of 43
Latest reply