Does Aspartame (Sugarine) cause dementia?

Does Aspartame cause dementia,cancer, or neither.?:|

siggie-reported-by-alarmists..............
Message 1 of 136
Latest reply
135 REPLIES 135

Re: Does Aspartame (Sugarine) cause dementia?

I don't know if it causes illness, but why would anyone choose to eat chemicals deliberately? 

Message 131 of 136
Latest reply

But taking an appropriately cautious approach, the report also stated that “… the EFSA will continue monitoring the scientific literature in order to identify new scientific evidence for sweeteners that may indicate a possible risk for human health or which may otherwise affect the safety assessment of these food additives.”

The most recent (March 2013) review of the literature by the EFSA concludes that “There is no consistent evidence that aspartame has adverse effects, either in healthy individuals or in potentially susceptible groups …”

The 2012 position paper of the US Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics also endorses the safety of aspartame by stating that “… consumers can safely enjoy a range of nutritive sweeteners and non-nutritive sweeteners (NNS).” Aspartame is included in the seven non-nutritive sweeteners that are approved for use.

The position paper also points out that the estimated safe level of daily intake of aspartame over a lifetime is 50 milligrams per kilogram 

of body weight. With typical intakes estimated to be in the range 0.2 to 4.1 mg/kg, the rate of consumption of aspartame by virtually everyone is likely to be less than 10% of the maximum recommended level.

But there is one potential adverse health effect associated with the use of aspartame – a metabolic genetic condition called phenylketonuria (a mutation that makes an enzyme non-functional) affects about one person in 10,000. People with phenylketonuria cannot metabolise phenylalanine (which, you will recall, is one of the two protein building blocks that make up aspartame), so those people need to minimise intake of all sources of phenylalanine, including aspartame.

So, can I put my hand on my heart and swear that aspartame is safe for everyone other than people with phenylketonuria?

No, I can’t. Still, based on the evidence currently available, if I wanted to reduce my sugar intake but still enjoy sweetened tea or coffee, I would have no hesitation in using aspartame (or any of the other approved non-nutritive sweeteners).

http://theconversation.com/sweet-news-no-evidence-that-artificial-sweetener-aspartames-bad-for-you-1...

I read that too Iza......

Again, I think everything in moderation..... if in doubt...abstinence is always safe...:-)

Message 132 of 136
Latest reply

Just had a loooonnnngggg conversation with FIL's older sister who turns 90 next week. She is very spry, quite with it.....chatted about politics, the weather, the family and didn't miss a beat. Has never eaten anything cooked outside her own kitchen, drinks only tea and tank water. Grows her own vegies and has never tasted soft drink 😮 but beer is her drink... home brew.

Message 133 of 136
Latest reply

Just had a loooonnnngggg conversation with FIL's older sister who turns 90 next week. She is very spry, quite with it.....chatted about politics, the weather, the family and didn't miss a beat. Has never eaten anything cooked outside her own kitchen, drinks only tea and tank water. Grows her own vegies and has never tasted soft drink 😮 but beer is her drink... home brew.

Home brew beer.....contains real sugar!!!! :-D..... is that her advise to a long life?...

My Grandmother home brewed Ginger Beer...lived to 96 years of age.... and very with it....

Home brews might be the key to a long life Az......:^O

Message 134 of 136
Latest reply

J calorie intake can be easily controlled regardless of what a particular food product contains

If you want to regulate you calorie intake set your goal and then limit your food intake to equal your goal. it is that simple. 🙂

In other words don't pig-out 🙂

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Message 135 of 136
Latest reply

I don't know if it causes illness, but why would anyone choose to eat chemicals deliberately? 

I guess it is the same thing with smoking? Cigarettes contain 4,800 chemicals and 69 of them cause cancer.

Message 136 of 136
Latest reply