Does Aspartame (Sugarine) cause dementia?

Does Aspartame cause dementia,cancer, or neither.?:|

siggie-reported-by-alarmists..............
Message 1 of 136
Latest reply
135 REPLIES 135

I think it's fine!

Except...hmmm... it can make your tongue feel rough. Almost like a strawberry.

Oh well.

doesn't matter.

*giggle*

Message 111 of 136
Latest reply

I don't think it's that bad in Hi lo, Patchoo.  I've got a carton of full cream here and a carton of Hi lo.

Per 100 ml, the full fat has 5g sugar and the hi lo 4.6g.  That's only 0.4 gms of sugar per 100 ml.

That 25 stuff isn't too bad, but in the days of Lite White that stuff was horrible... Whenever I would stay with my Aunt she would have to buy "real" milk for me  

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means
Message 112 of 136
Latest reply

A lot of alcoholics don't live to a good age.. early 50's is pushing it for some.

Message 113 of 136
Latest reply

...every thing in moderation hey?

Alcohol Dementia - http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/dementia/a/aa990714.htm

That would take chronic alcohol abuse though.......

actually were I was going with my post 81 was that seizure activity increasing can be due to many things...ie;stress,lack of sleep,alcohol ,incorrect/missed dosage 

if someone who has epilepsy is experiencing increased seizure activity and they also happen to consume aspartame ....it can't just be assumed that aspartame is to blame 

same with other conditions worsening ?

Message 114 of 136
Latest reply

re alcohol

Korsakoff syndrome is a chronic memory disorder caused by severe deficiency of thiamine (vitamin B-1).Korsakoff syndrome is most commonly caused by alcohol misuse, but certain other conditions also can cause the syndrome.

http://www.alz.org/dementia/wernicke-korsakoff-syndrome-symptoms.asp

Alcohol dementia is a form of dementia caused by long-term, excessive drinking, resulting in neurological damage and impaired mental processing. In general, dementia occurs in people older than 65, and is a common cause of mental dysfunction. Dementia begins gradually, and progresses slowly. [1] [2]

Alcohol-Related Dementia (ARD) is currently the preferred medical term, and it covers the two main forms of alcohol induced dementia:

Alcohol (or Alcoholic) Dementia impaired planning and apathy mimicking depression caused by alcohol's toxic effect on brain cells

Wet Brain (Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome)short term memory loss caused by a lack of thiamine (vitamin B1) due to alcohol abuse

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_dementia

Message 115 of 136
Latest reply

I am the same... Full fat salted butter, milk, cream... 

On a similar topic, light milk might have low fat but it's full of sugar.. Once the fat (taste) has been removed from the milk it tastes horrible so they have to fill it full of sugar to make it more palatable... 

And that 's the reason I don't worry about low fat products....equals= high sugar...:-(

Message 116 of 136
Latest reply

The most recent (March 2013) review of the literature by the EFSA http://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/supporting/pub/399e.htm

concludes that โ€œThere is no consistent evidence that aspartame has adverse effects, either in healthy individuals or in potentially susceptible groups โ€ฆโ€

http://theconversation.com/sweet-news-no-evidence-that-artificial-sweetener-aspartames-bad-for-you-1...

dis you read all of this DLA ? 

Message 117 of 136
Latest reply

:^O sorry .dis = did 

Message 118 of 136
Latest reply

No I haven't Iza.... 

Message 119 of 136
Latest reply

The Queensland Government have produced this brochure......

Healthy eating for Gestational Diabetes Mellitus - 

Products with artificial sweeteners aspartame (951) (NutraSweetโ„ข, Equalโ„ข)
and sucralose (955) (Splendaโ„ข), are used in some diet yoghurts, low joule
soft drinks and Equalโ„ข tablets and may be used in moderation if desired.

Message 120 of 136
Latest reply