Does it bother you if threads go off topic?

Or if people make off topic posts in threads?

Photobucket
Message 1 of 259
Latest reply
6 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Take for instance Catty's thread, now that thread is a thread which has always been anything goes, from broken hearts, to illness, to sick kitties, to holidays, to gardening, to kidlets, to cooking and back again. How would that thread survive it it was a requirements to stay on topic?

View solution in original post

Message 70 of 259
Latest reply

& lots of other chat threads here too Freddie, I think some are using that silly rule against people they have a problem with or whatever

Message 72 of 259
Latest reply

I think EVERYONE should contact the mod who has pm'd them, for ANYTHING and get clarification about the rule of off topic (not including interpersonal disputes) and ask if it should be disregarded in CS, due to the nature of the board itself.

Message 89 of 259
Latest reply

Donna, I have just written to the mods, but I have gone a step further because IMO Off topic shouldn't even relate to this general chat board. If there is a disruptive post in a thread it is an IP post, not off topic post

Message 101 of 259
Latest reply

@am*3 wrote:

I would like to propose that only persons who have contributed to a thread be allowed to report posts as off-topic.

That is the most strange statement/request that I have ever read here.

why is it strange?

its a well known fact that lurkers report posts for reasons known only to themselves.

why should an onlooker who is not willing to publicly participate in a thread have any say in how that thread progresses?

that report button has been a control tool for way too long and its time that changed.

Message 109 of 259
Latest reply

Well let's be honest. Most of the complaints about off topic that I've seen on CS lately are barely veiled attempts to intimidate people they don't like, with the goal of excluding them from posting on certain threads. IMO that's not indicative of "community spirit"

Message 186 of 259
Latest reply
258 REPLIES 258

*pepe
Community Member

only if its done to deliberately derail a thread.

Message 2 of 259
Latest reply

@donnashuggy wrote:

Or if people make off topic posts in threads?

No, as long as it isn't boring personal **bleep** dredged up from the past that takes it off topic and drags on for pages.

Shakes head at the words that get bleeped. I didn't swear in case anyone is wondering.

Message 3 of 259
Latest reply

I agree with both of you

Photobucket
Message 4 of 259
Latest reply

@*pepe wrote:

only if its done to deliberately derail a thread.

Or to annoy the mods.Smiley Wink

Still I guess writing love letters to us keeps them off the streets and busy (I was going to say gainfully occupied, but like George Washington, I cannot tell a lie)

Message 5 of 259
Latest reply

Happens all the time to my threads and its done deliberately isn’t it miss donna    Its designed to throw all my posts off track and derail the tread.....   You have seen that happen often havent you miss donna to my posts  🙂

I dont mind as I find it very funny to watch the efforts of these people doing it all the time,  It must amuse as well miss donna to see it happen 

Message 6 of 259
Latest reply

i have no problem with it being done to annoy the mods Smiley Tongue

Message 7 of 259
Latest reply

It doesn't worry me.The topic on CS is general (non ebay related) discussion or it used to be ...going by that all general discussion in CS would be on topic for CS .

What worries me more that some want to control what the topic is and isn't about .Sometimes just a different opinion can be seen by some as a deliberate attempt to derail a thread .

Also if a thread is about something such as for example child care places or school funding issue ...some may not see that politics may come into that and is on topic and relevant to that topic.

Message 8 of 259
Latest reply

another example ....some people watched the Political debate last night .

People may notice and or comment on certain things from that ...some may even observe that one or the other Politicians who are both  married men (promoted to us,the voters as married/family men and politicians ) doesn't wear a ring ...that would or should not be off topic...JMHO

Message 9 of 259
Latest reply

threads have always gone off topic. i don't mind.

Message 10 of 259
Latest reply