Door Knockers collecting money for foundation.

So I had 2 young women door knock my home recently.  They were raising funds for a very well known organisation which I had heard of and this particular cause was to raise money for children suddenly removed from their homes due to no fault of their own.  This foundation provides them with a back pack full of items to make them feel more secure in their new environment.  I agreed this was a great cause and the spiel went on and on and would I be intersted in helping.  I said I would I was then told there are 2 options, a $50 card and a $100 card, gobsmacked at the price and no other option I agreed to purchase a $50 card.  I was then signed up and as I was being signed up I was advised that the $50 doesn't really cover the backpack and could I put in another $20 or $30 which I said no I could not, $50 is my limit.  Once I signed the credit card slip I was given the info whereby I was told it is not a donation but I can redeem it on certain things, go online and choose what you want or regift the card to someone.  I find this type of fundraising quite cheeky, I could have just gone to the foundations website and made a donation.  I wont get caught like this again, how is this type of thing legal?  These 2 were obviously getting paid so was the sporting company they were working for, I have to wonder how much gets though to the foundation.  I should have asked all these questions before I agreed but it was not a good day for me and I gave in too easily.

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Door Knockers collecting money for foundation.

I had a guy from this mob about 3 months ago.

I wasn't going to donate for three reasons. 1. I never give to door knockers, 2. I don't have the money, 3. If the first two rules didn't exist I would have given because it was a poor campaign.

The guy tried really hard to explain to me how the payment and voucher worked but I just couldn't understand it - why would I get a voucher to spend anywhere if the money I'm giving is supposed to buy gear for kids. Surely, mathematically, the money can't be spent in two places at once (unless Trollface-$$$-profit logic is being used).

On top of that all the options to spend the vouchers were carp-ola, even if I could have understood or was interested.

It was a confusing and disconcerting 5 minutes.

I hope everything works out positively for you.

Message 21 of 22
Latest reply

Re: Door Knockers collecting money for foundation.

And of course for reason three I meant I would not* have given. *sigh*

Message 22 of 22
Latest reply