Door Knockers collecting money for foundation.

So I had 2 young women door knock my home recently.  They were raising funds for a very well known organisation which I had heard of and this particular cause was to raise money for children suddenly removed from their homes due to no fault of their own.  This foundation provides them with a back pack full of items to make them feel more secure in their new environment.  I agreed this was a great cause and the spiel went on and on and would I be intersted in helping.  I said I would I was then told there are 2 options, a $50 card and a $100 card, gobsmacked at the price and no other option I agreed to purchase a $50 card.  I was then signed up and as I was being signed up I was advised that the $50 doesn't really cover the backpack and could I put in another $20 or $30 which I said no I could not, $50 is my limit.  Once I signed the credit card slip I was given the info whereby I was told it is not a donation but I can redeem it on certain things, go online and choose what you want or regift the card to someone.  I find this type of fundraising quite cheeky, I could have just gone to the foundations website and made a donation.  I wont get caught like this again, how is this type of thing legal?  These 2 were obviously getting paid so was the sporting company they were working for, I have to wonder how much gets though to the foundation.  I should have asked all these questions before I agreed but it was not a good day for me and I gave in too easily.

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

NEVER talk to door knockers.

They do not have your interest at heart, that is why they need to resort to door knocking.

If everyone ignored or told them NOT INTERESTED........................no more door knockers.

You can always give to charities or change electric companies when it suits YOU. Smiley Wink

image host
Message 2 of 22
Latest reply

Im sorry givemeaspell but this smells a little off..and I hope this doesnt alarm you, but...

I think you may have donated to their own little pocket charity- I would be contacting the 'very well known organisation' and asking if they knew of this little fundraising caper..Just who do they think they are- offering options?

Also, I would be keeping an eye on my Credit Card balance...phone your bank and let them know the details, they may be able to tell you if theyve heard of it before, or if its fraud..may even be able to stop you being charged a different amount..

It could be legit- I really hope so, but, then again, there are a lot of crafty, thieving low lifes.

Take care of yourself.

Message 3 of 22
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I know the charity you are talking about....they have hit me several times over the phone.

Thankfully I have resisted them each time but they can be pushy....they don't like taking No for an answer.

I have never heard of them door knocking though.   I would definitely check up on them.  Ring the charity directly....if they were imposters the charity will be very helpful as they don't like getting a bad name because of shonks.

If you have been taken for a ride the bank can cancel the debit you have signed.

Message 4 of 22
Latest reply

What is given as a donation via the door knockers, 85% goes to the door knockers, 15% to the charity. That's how it used to be, not sure if it's changed. I NEVER give anything to door spam, even the time of day.

Years ago I scared a few. They were collecting for a charity and as soon as I opened the door, I knew what they were up to. I started making all these provocatine sounds, winked at them and told them to please come in, as I walked towards them. They turned and bolted. I was half expecting a knock on the door from the cops but it didn't happen. I hope it scared them enough to understand how dangerous it is knocking on doors of complete strangers.

Message 5 of 22
Latest reply

Don't beat yourself up about it, OP. It's no consolation to yourself I know, but thousands of people fall for this type of hard sell - sometimes these are out-and-out cons that can clear out your bank account in seconds - every day of the week. The worst ones and the cleverest, elaborate, and most professionally executed scams, are the phone call ones.

I don't think you'll be taken in a second time.

Message 6 of 22
Latest reply

An eldery 85 yo neighbor was door knocked by one of the high profile window shutter people that advertise on TV regularly. Of course they where offering great discounts if she signed right away. She agreed to have her bedroom window fitted with shutters as she quite liked the idea. Cost $2500. The company then proceeded to hound the poor old dear over the phone and by knocking on her door for months until she agreed to have two more windows fitted at a cost of $7,500. They even conveniently drove her to the bank to get the money out !!!

Even then the harrasment continued. It wasnt until she told a friend who contacted a soliciter that the company finally left her alone.

I,m not sure if it is connected, but she was also having trouble with kids knocking on her window every night, between 7 & 11 pm  ( This was occuring around the same time as the shutter companies harrasment )  She has had motion sensor lights fitted and is quite worried.

Message 7 of 22
Latest reply

@youcandoityoucandoityoucandoit wrote:

Im sorry givemeaspell but this smells a little off..and I hope this doesnt alarm you, but...

I think you may have donated to their own little pocket charity- I would be contacting the 'very well known organisation' and asking if they knew of this little fundraising caper..Just who do they think they are- offering options?

Also, I would be keeping an eye on my Credit Card balance...phone your bank and let them know the details, they may be able to tell you if theyve heard of it before, or if its fraud..may even be able to stop you being charged a different amount..

It could be legit- I really hope so, but, then again, there are a lot of crafty, thieving low lifes.

Take care of yourself.

its actually legit, they have a website, but still cheeky.  so I can redeem my $50 on magazine subscriptions amongst other things they then sent me 12 vouchers to go and collect magazines at coles express.  this was not my intent when I wanted to donate, how much of this is going to the charity?  should be outlawed this type of fundraising. (if u can call it that)

Message 8 of 22
Latest reply

@chameleon54 wrote:

An eldery 85 yo neighbor was door knocked by one of the high profile window shutter people that advertise on TV regularly. Of course they where offering great discounts if she signed right away. She agreed to have her bedroom window fitted with shutters as she quite liked the idea. Cost $2500. The company then proceeded to hound the poor old dear over the phone and by knocking on her door for months until she agreed to have two more windows fitted at a cost of $7,500. They even conveniently drove her to the bank to get the money out !!!

Even then the harrasment continued. It wasnt until she told a friend who contacted a soliciter that the company finally left her alone.

I,m not sure if it is connected, but she was also having trouble with kids knocking on her window every night, between 7 & 11 pm  ( This was occuring around the same time as the shutter companies harrasment )  She has had motion sensor lights fitted and is quite worried.

that is disgraceful!  what sort of people do this?  door knock sales should be banned.  These two young girls were nice enough although the main one was overly nice, complimenting me on everything....gushing over me, it was quite awkward, I think I signed up just to get rid of her.  

Message 9 of 22
Latest reply

We have door to door sales people come around here, if I am interested, I talk to them, if not I just say so and off they go, cant say I have ever been hassled by any of them  .... I bought an power operated external window awning this way, cost me 3 grand,  I very happy with it and it didnt cost me anymore than if I had bought it else where

Never get anyone knocking and asking for donations which is good 'cause they wouldn't  get a cent out of me

Message 10 of 22
Latest reply