Door Knockers collecting money for foundation.

So I had 2 young women door knock my home recently.  They were raising funds for a very well known organisation which I had heard of and this particular cause was to raise money for children suddenly removed from their homes due to no fault of their own.  This foundation provides them with a back pack full of items to make them feel more secure in their new environment.  I agreed this was a great cause and the spiel went on and on and would I be intersted in helping.  I said I would I was then told there are 2 options, a $50 card and a $100 card, gobsmacked at the price and no other option I agreed to purchase a $50 card.  I was then signed up and as I was being signed up I was advised that the $50 doesn't really cover the backpack and could I put in another $20 or $30 which I said no I could not, $50 is my limit.  Once I signed the credit card slip I was given the info whereby I was told it is not a donation but I can redeem it on certain things, go online and choose what you want or regift the card to someone.  I find this type of fundraising quite cheeky, I could have just gone to the foundations website and made a donation.  I wont get caught like this again, how is this type of thing legal?  These 2 were obviously getting paid so was the sporting company they were working for, I have to wonder how much gets though to the foundation.  I should have asked all these questions before I agreed but it was not a good day for me and I gave in too easily.

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

We never give money to door knockers, whether they are legit or not, even if they are legit.........and you give them money, it doesnt all go to where they say it is going.

Message 11 of 22
Latest reply

i no longer give to charity's that door knock or phone me. i just no longer trust that the money actually gets to those who need it and not into highly paid board members pockets who are living in million dollar homes and driving mercedes cars and putting their kids thru private schools.

if i want to donate my money i can do it without being made feel guilty. anyone can contact vinnys or the salvation army without any trouble.

i have my 'no door knockers or religeous callers' sign on my door, so they go away.

Message 12 of 22
Latest reply

Can you contact your CC provider and stop the payment?  Then contact the charity directly and donate to them.  Or tell them you were going to donate but the disgraceful dishonest way the collectors got money from you means you will be giving the money to another organization.

I too would be worried about these people having my CC particulars.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 13 of 22
Latest reply

No door knockers hereenhanced-buzz-wide-12488-1366851427-12.jpg

Tommy Loves Everyone... Im a 75 year old nutcase..
Message 14 of 22
Latest reply

face5.gif

Message 15 of 22
Latest reply

wouldnt wanna wake up at 2am bustin for a pee, go to walk down the hall to the loo

Message 16 of 22
Latest reply

I open the door and say absolutely nothing until that have finished doing their spiel - no matter how they try to engage - I just stare at them with a cranky face until they are completely finished babbling. I then stand silently until it gets uncomfortable...... Then say NO and shut the door in their face ......never had a repeat visit. They probably have me on their nutter list.... Don't care because it works.

Message 17 of 22
Latest reply

door.gif

Message 18 of 22
Latest reply

http://donotknock.org.au/

I printed up the sign and laminated it, put it next to the verandah gate and no one has bothered me since.

Yes I know it doesn't legally apply to charities, but it seems to work.

Message 19 of 22
Latest reply

DNK-sticker-226x300.png

Tommy Loves Everyone... Im a 75 year old nutcase..
Message 20 of 22
Latest reply