How does the Royal thing work?

If George had have been a Georgina, being the first born, would she have gotten to be Queen one day, even if she got a younger brother, or would the female be bypassed in favour of the male?

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 1 of 99
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Yes, a girl would still be first in line over her younger brothers and Prince Harry.

View solution in original post

Message 20 of 99
Latest reply

@diamond-halo wrote:

OK, so

Queen Elizabeth abdicates/retires/dies or whatever it is that Queens do when they stop being Queens

Prince Phillip (her Husband) if still alive, does not get to be King, right? Right.

Instead, it will probably be Prince Charles

so lets run with that.

Once King Charles is done,

Prince William gets the crown, right? Yes

Now, if Prince Williasm dies before he gets to be king, does one of his offspring get a shot, or is it Prince Harry that gets a look in?  George gets a shot

So Prince Harry would have had a shot if Prince William died without kids, right? Yes

But since Prince William now does have a child

If he is the only child, he will become King, right? Yes

Harry missed the boat, didn't he? Yes

But if George was a girl, would this child still get to be Queen, even if she had a younger brother? Yes

Crikey!

View solution in original post

Message 22 of 99
Latest reply
98 REPLIES 98

I would hope that she learns the Queen's English.

Message 2 of 99
Latest reply

NO - William is next in line after the old fart Charles (who one seriously hopes will never take the throne - JMO)

Let's say Charles is the monarch for the sake of the OP.

If William and Kate had a girl, and William died, the succession would go to Harry as next in line to the throne, so long as the reigining monarch (Charlie) was on the throne.

The only reason the Queen became the Queen was she had no siblings other than a younger sister at the time of her fathers (reigning monarchs) death.

If William was made King prior to his death, then the sons or daughters from he and Kate would take succession, male first.

In this situation the only way a Queen can be the monarch is as the spouse of the reigning king.

I think

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 3 of 99
Latest reply

cezm
Community Member

To answer that question,you'll have to ask Liz ๐Ÿ˜‰
Message 5 of 99
Latest reply

God in Heaven, I just had a thought

What if Will and Harry pop off, and Charlie and Camilla have a boy ?

*shudders*

Message 6 of 99
Latest reply

cat! stop thinking right now!!

Message 7 of 99
Latest reply

@2106greencat wrote:

NO - William is next in line after the old fart Charles (who one seriously hopes will never take the throne - JMO)

If William and Kate had a girl, and William died, the succession would go to Harry as next in line to the throne, so long as the reigining monarch (Charlie) was on the throne.

The only reason the Queen became the Queen was she had no siblings other than a younger sister at the time of her fathers (reigning monarchs) death.

If William was made King prior to his death, then the sons or daughters from he and Kate would take succession, male first.

In this situation the only way a Queen can be the monarch is as the spouse of the reigning king.

I think

Wasn't the right of succession changed before William and Kate married so that the gender of their firstborn would not matter?  So, if George was Georgiana, yes she would be next in line after William even if she subsequently had a brother.

But, you are correct in that if William dies before becoming king, Harry would be king after Charles and the line would then continue with Harry's children (if any).

Message 8 of 99
Latest reply

@diamond-halo wrote:

If George had have been a Georgina, being the first born, would she have gotten to be Queen one day, even if she got a younger brother, or would the female be bypassed in favour of the male?

In short, Yes she would have been in line to be queen one day.

The rules were changed in 2013. The only hold up is Australia which has not yet legislated for the change, however the UK can effect the change for them if they don't get it sorted in time (or something to that effect).

The changes affect only descendents of Charles, born after 2011.

Message 9 of 99
Latest reply

@ambercat16 wrote:

@2106greencat wrote:

I think

Wasn't the right of succession changed before William and Kate married so that the gender of their firstborn would not matter?  So, if George was Georgiana, yes she would be next in line after William even if she subsequently had a brother.

But, you are correct in that if William dies before becoming king, Harry would be king after Charles and the line would then continue with Harry's children (if any).

Forgot that little titbit - as to the Queen thing, a King can make a Queen through marriage - ie: King George (Liz's dad) made Liz's mum a Queen, but a Queen (Liz) marrying does not make a King (Duke of Edinborough - Prince Phillip) all very confusing.

All I know is I will ever be Queen, my son will never be King, and I am soooo good with that!

Sorry chuk - will stop thinking now (got a right 'royal' headache as it happens LOL)

Message 10 of 99
Latest reply